Pros/Cons on a 42' Jefferson Sundeck w/ Cat 3208TA's w/4600 hrs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manleytl3

Just looking for advice from anyone that has experience with either the boat or the engines.

Our first "large" boat. We intend to use it for AICW cruising & living aboard.

Any comments appreciated! Thanks

All the normal provisos apply for professional inspections and previous owners maintenance standards. That said I've been aboard 3 Jefferson's and think they are up near the top of the list for their category of boat. It sounds like the previous owners got plenty of use with those hours clocked up but if it had been maintained well those Cats are just well broken in. Look at boatdiesel.com for your engine specific questions.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

My friend had a 1986 42 Jeff and loved it. It's very large for a 42...lots of levels to accommodate many. But there are also lots of steps with any sundeck model.

His boat was solid without any Achilles heal that I'm aware of. Fuel tank access is tight, ER is tight, but otherwise, a nice layout if you don'e fish. (Aft cabins are typically too far off the water to fish from.)

He had Perkins 6.354 turbos...200 hp, I believe. Both engines needed turbo rebuild and manifolds over time. He told me the other day that he spent $12K having those items professionally replaced. Fuel tank replacement would cost more than that. Probably would require engine removal, but not sure of that.

All the normal provisos apply for professional inspections and previous owners maintenance standards. That said I've been aboard 3 Jefferson's and think they are up near the top of the list for their category of boat. It sounds like the previous owners got plenty of use with those hours clocked up but if it had been maintained well those Cats are just well broken in. Look at boatdiesel.com for your engine specific questions.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

Thanks for the comments. If we decide to make an offer I'm definitely getting a pro inspection of the boat & engines,, including oil testing. I know they have some hours on them but given the average life of a diesel engine I'm thinking they'd outlast me - with proper maint of course

My friend had a 1986 42 Jeff and loved it. It's very large for a 42...lots of levels to accommodate many. But there are also lots of steps with any sundeck model.

His boat was solid without any Achilles heal that I'm aware of. Fuel tank access is tight, ER is tight, but otherwise, a nice layout if you don'e fish. (Aft cabins are typically too far off the water to fish from.)

He had Perkins 6.354 turbos...200 hp, I believe. Both engines needed turbo rebuild and manifolds over time. He told me the other day that he spent $12K having those items professionally replaced. Fuel tank replacement would cost more than that. Probably would require engine removal, but not sure of that.

We really like the layout & size & build quality. Fishing from it would only be a casual thing. Definitely getting a full survey done on it if we decide to make an offer!

Did your friend have a battery bank & inverter? This one does not but I'm thinking it'd be nice to have so as to not run the genset quite as much for power when off the dock.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom