Props - 3... 4... 5... - Blades

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Psneeld,
After 8 years of perfect operation I think it can be "assumed".

The center of the rudder has the full blast of the propwash bearing down on it and I can't help but think w a fishtail rudder a noticeable amount of efficiency must be lost.

Last edited:
And once again...for your situation it must work fine....

Just because I disagree with 95% of what you post (that I read) doesn't mean what you are doing or doing with your boat is wrong...just it may not work for any of us.

Your statement "That dosn't change the fact that typical props on trawlers will have better efficiency w fewer baldes. That's my take on it" from post 59. You used the words "typical props" and how generically trawlers can be benefitted from fewer blades. Heck people here cant even agree on what is a trawler let alone a grouping allowing your supposition to exist.

Plus from my angle, I don't think all the guys running 3 lades can or should go to 2, and those running 4 blades may have found that the "engineering determined" 3 bladed props don't allow for enough clearances. Too many variables as I posted.

If your posts sounded like they only concern you and a bit outside of that....and I might start agreeing with you. Then you don't have to take my posts so personally.

But certainly may last post #60 applies...meaning if any boat can tolerate those limiting factors...great...if not...other options may be necessary.

Last edited:
None of this concerns me except for conversation and that's what forums are for. I'm propped correctly w the right number of blades ect but there's a lot that I don't know and open minded conversation frequently leads to more knowledge .. but more importantly I'm having fun here, making friendships and learning what other people do and think.

I only take your posts personally when they are disrespectful. Marin frequently disagrees w me but he's NOT disrespectful. And the above post is quite disrespectful. "Once again", "just beause I disagree w 95% of what you post","your statement", "Plus from my angle", "Your posts sound like they only concern you" ............... all that is disrespectful and argumentive. I don't have a problem w you or almost anybody else disagreeing w me .. indeed it opens the door to more conversation and learning.

Last edited:
I'm afraid of the dark...

Within 30 seconds we went from two adults holding hands having a nice evening stroll to two babies, running back to the house as fast as we could.

We knew our imagination was running wild, and we were being ridiculous, but simply couldn't help it.

Very funny story Dauntless. When we were kids we were taught that when cutting through Central Park at night to always stick to the shadows and travel in the darkness. Basically, you can't see them but they can't see you either. Walking in the light makes you a target.

Was a scary concept to get through our little heads but the funny thing that is after a few moments your body settles down and the fear leaves. You're in stealth mode! To this day I still remember that and teach my kids as well. Of course they aren't too happy!

Back
Top Bottom