Proper Trawler Catamarans: lots of pics.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rustybarge

Guru
Vessel Make
Cheetah 25' Powercat.
I know there aren't many Cat lovers on this forum, and I'm out to change it!

So without further ado lets have look at these beauties all built in the UK.

London port authority on patrol on the Thames.

BW SeaCat trawlers at work and bring hauled out onto the hard.

The totally amazing C-Truc Cats that allow you to swap pilot house superstructures and crew quarter cabins in a few minutes with a suitable crane....

In this photo you can see that the cabins are mounted on 'rail tracks' to allow easy change over.

Proper trawlers by anyone's standards....?

Last edited:
It would be amiss of me not to mention my own make of Cat : Cheetah.

The first prototype Cat built by Sean Strevins over 25 years ago in ply.

The concept was to design a hull that could be driven up onto the beach on the Isle of Wight were there are very few harbours on the south coast.

On the lochs of Scotland.

Small Survey trailable vessel.

From little acorns.....

Here is a Catamaran hulled shrimp boat near Government Pass, Apalachicola, Fl. The only one I've seen.

Attachments

• Galati Marina to Apalachicola 056.jpg
    Galati Marina to Apalachicola 056.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 63
The concept was to design a hull that could be driven up onto the beach on the Isle of Wight were there are very few harbours on the south coast.

Driving up onto the beach is the easy part. But getting back off... ;)

I don't think I'd call any of them "proper trawlers" (except maybe the shrimpers) because they are too fast and ride on plane. But, I guess the definition of "trawler" is open to interpretation and has probably been debated at length on this forum before my time here. :hide:

Either way, they all look like great boats.

Driving up onto the beach is the easy part. But getting back off... ;)

I don't think I'd call any of them "proper trawlers" (except maybe the shrimpers) because they are too fast and ride on plane. But, I guess the definition of "trawler" is open to interpretation and has probably been debated at length on this forum before my time here. :hide:

Either way, they all look like great boats.

The cheetah cats have a large steel band screwed to the keels so that the sand and gravel doesn't damage the GRP.

The technique is to drive the boat quite far up the beach, then winch it up onto a low trailer and tractor and haul it above the high water mark. Most beaches aren't steep enough to float onto the trailer, so the rig has to back out into the deep surf.

Rusty,

As previously stated I am a big fan of cats, unfortunately those cats you posted are fast boats.. not trawler ( = slow) cats... except the shrimper.

Cats have some great attributes, fast is light, great initial stability, heaps of room etc.

A few weeks back had the opportunity to blast around in a 70pax. cat with 4000hp and foil assisted that is good for 50mph.. is a hoot to drive on a clam day, but in a moderate swell it handles like a dumpster on a ski slope.

There are a few true slow trawler cats that have hit the market but the seem really slow to gain acceptance.. most likely price is the major factor.

HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• chilkat2.jpg
    chilkat2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 46
Rusty,

As previously stated I am a big fan of cats, unfortunately those cats you posted are fast boats.. not trawler ( = slow) cats... except the shrimper.

Cats have some great attributes, fast is light, great initial stability, heaps of room etc.

A few weeks back had the opportunity to blast around in a 70pax. cat with 4000hp and foil assisted that is good for 50mph.. is a hoot to drive on a clam day, but in a moderate swell it handles like a dumpster on a ski slope.

There are a few true slow trawler cats that have hit the market but the seem really slow to gain acceptance.. most likely price is the major factor.

HOLLYWOOD

We have a SeaCat service from Dublin to Liverpool, but only in the spring and summer when conditions are good. It can go like a scalded cat, easily cruising in the mid 30 kts. Not so nice in bad weather, it pitches and slams very badly even at reduced speed.

It's a RO-RO and can take cars and small trucks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom