Old 01-17-2019, 06:05 PM   #1

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
Proper Radio Channel Usage

After reading the thread below about using CH 13 for passing I wanted to ask a question from a recent experience.

I have always used 16 to hail a marina or another boater, then when they answer move to a different channel.

Recently pulled into an area in South Florida, approaching the fuel dock and hailed the fuel dock on CH16.

Immediately - the response from CG was the message we have heard when someone is inappropriately using CH16. Was not directed at me specific - but the timing - felt like my hailing initiated.

The CG facility is really close to the marina I was going to - but wouldn't think that would matter.

Is my usage of CH 16 correct? or incorrect?

TY

FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
The marinas monitor 16 (in Florida and NJ at least) and you were correct to contact them on it. Shifting immediately to the marinas working channel is also expected. Pretty much anything additional is taboo. Now if you also asked for slip assignment or fuel price before switching, then yes then the station watchstander will hit the recorded broadcast message button. It also could be a complete coincidence since they can hear boats from many, many, miles away that you can't possibly hear.
BTW, do you routinely use Low Power? If not, you should be using the lowest power available to complete the comms.

1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:35 PM   #3

City: McMillan
Doesn’t hurt to switch the vhf to low power output when contacting a marina on channel 16, less disruptive all around.

James
MacPhid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Full Circle
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Interesting. In our neck of the woods (PNW) most marinas / fuel docks monitor 66 or 78 which is low power. Marina traffic can get quite busy at times and I can envision that they would jam up 16 during busy times.
NWSeadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:38 PM   #5
Guru

City: B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Where I live, B.C., the marina hailing channel is 66A, not 16. In most cases they will not reply if you call on 16. They may no longer even monitor since this has been in effect for many years.
I'm not sure if the marinas are legally required to NOT use 16 or not but experience shows they will not reply,. There are a couple up west that still use 73 , but not 16.

Saves a huge amount of bafflebarf on 16.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:38 PM   #6
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
16 in the US is a hailing and distress frequency.

Many marinas request you call them on ch16 when near...then they aswitch you.

If you say more than "marina xxxxx, yacht zzzzz ch 16".....then yes you are doing more than hailing.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:18 PM   #7
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan View Post
After reading the thread below about using CH 13 for passing I wanted to ask a question from a recent experience.

I have always used 16 to hail a marina or another boater, then when they answer move to a different channel.

Recently pulled into an area in South Florida, approaching the fuel dock and hailed the fuel dock on CH16.

Immediately - the response from CG was the message we have heard when someone is inappropriately using CH16. Was not directed at me specific - but the timing - felt like my hailing initiated.

The CG facility is really close to the marina I was going to - but wouldn't think that would matter.

Is my usage of CH 16 correct? or incorrect?

TY
I dont think I have ever hailed a marina or fuel dock or pump out boat or launch on 16. I have been to several dozen this year alone. Look up what channel they use on their website, garmin active captain, etc. Super easy no sense clogging 16 and most don't monitor 16 any way and you will likely get some rando trying to help you with the correct channel to hail them on.
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:40 PM   #8

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
Lake Ontario marinas and Yacht Clubs monitor 68.

I was in the St Lawrence overtaking an ore boat of 700 feet. I radioed on 16 "CSL Salarium, Adios Dinero Two Whistles". The response immediately was "Wait one minute then come on by. We are halfway through a slight course change"
Simple courtesy got me a wave from the Bridge wing.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:52 PM   #9
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Good grief.

16 is not "clogged." I was out today in Florida, and there even local county and coast guard exercises going on. 16 was pretty quiet all day, with nothing going on generally.

Hail and then move to working.

Just use 16. It's simple, everyone is on it, it works. Don't over complicate it just because a few over-pompous "I know betters" blow about it.

And, yes. It is OK to say "XYZ, I am ABC on your stern. I would like to give you a slow pass on YOUR PORT (OR STARBOARD), and have a short agreement on it.

To the OP, the CG come on when people decide to have a multiple sentence general conversation on 16.

Keep it to the two or three short transmissions clearly necessary for safe navigation and you will NEVER have an issue with the CG.

Jaysus, lighten up everyone.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:24 AM   #10
Guru

Its not OK.....

And its not just pompous "know it alls" that think so.

Proliferating advice like this after hearing the USCG daily and repetatively transmit the standard "ch 16" use warning for anything more than "hails" should be clear enough.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:55 AM   #11
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Quote:
over-pompous "I know betters"

Hmmm....something about if the shoe fits comes to mind
Old 01-18-2019, 08:34 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
Hmmm....something about if the shoe fits comes to mind
At least I know the rules and etiquette...... and don't try and dumb down the group. There's always the ignore list....if you consider my contributions that bad.

...after listening to hundreds of rescue calls both on the water and USCG OPCENs interrupted by useless chatter on CH16.... I have skin in the game.

Probably unlike the nice, normal..... name callers......

Unless of course they are the ones screaming MAYDAY while 2 boaters argue over which side the pass is on....
Old 01-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #13
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Sorry, my post was referencing the one before yours-not you.
ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
Sorry, my post was referencing the one before yours-not you.
Sorry too... my mistake...
Old 01-18-2019, 08:57 AM   #15
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Dumb question.....

I'd bet that most of us call the marina on the phone long before getting there.... getting availability, pricing, etc. And they frequently say.... call us on 16 and we'll switch you to 68.

Why is it necessary to even call on 16? Why don't they just receive the call on 68? When I ask them that, a few have argued, "You MUST call on 16 first"

Makes no sense.

====

As long as were speaking of pet peeves......

And why the heck can't the marina just assign the slip a few hours out, and a dock diagram, they ya wouldn't have to call at all. I've had a few that do this, and I simply announce arriving if there's other boats there, never talking to the marina until I meet them at the office.

So, with the above, you call on the phone once, and never call again.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #16

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
I dont think I have ever hailed a marina or fuel dock or pump out boat or launch on 16.

I have many times on the ICW and in New England AFTER I have tried on their working channel that I have looked up. Seems lots of dock attendants forget to switch their radios back to scan and are only on 16.

Marinas on the ICW do almost always ask you to hail on 16 just before arrival. I suspect it is because they are tired of, when they ask people to hail on their working channel, being asked, "How do I do that? (Change channels)". I've been asked that often when asking other boats to switch channels. Unbelievable but true.
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:18 AM   #17

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Just use 16. It's simple, everyone is on it, it works. Don't over complicate it just because a few over-pompous "I know betters" blow about it.

This over-pompous know better would like to point out that, if everyone who called on 16 made a quick simple low power hail as you described and to which I could respond with a simple "Gypsy Star - Roger", I never would have raised the issue or thought of the sign. However, a significant portion of the trawlers who have called me on the ICW for a pass have made high power calls longer than this reply. I have to wait for them to run out of breath before I can ask them to switch to 13 for the long chat about hoping I'm having a wonderful day, which side would I like, should it be a slow pass, where am I bound, what a nice looking boat. My sign is simply aimed at getting at least some of those folks started on 13 to save me the time and distraction of a channel change and help keep their hot air off everyone 20 miles in each direction.

And yes, once the passing business is done, if they start going on with the small talk, I ask them to switch to an appropriate channel for that.
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #18
Guru

Roger.... the nickname I have always heard/ use for the guys/gals that use the radio like a cell phone is a "Chatty Cathy"

......after that pull the string doll where you wait and see what next strange comment will come out after pulling the string.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Dumb question.....

I'd bet that most of us call the marina on the phone long before getting there.... getting availability, pricing, etc. And they frequently say.... call us on 16 and we'll switch you to 68.

Why is it necessary to even call on 16? Why don't they just receive the call on 68? When I ask them that, a few have argued, "You MUST call on 16 first"

Makes no sense.

====

And why the heck can't the marina just assign the slip a few hours out, and a dock diagram, they ya wouldn't have to call at all. I've had a few that do this, and I simply announce arriving if there's other boats there, never talking to the marina until I meet them at the office.

Which is fine if you dont need anyone at the marina to do anything for you.

But many still want to be there to witness the dock crashing as too many boaters often do.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:56 AM   #20
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Dumb question.....

Makes no sense.

====

I did 4,000 miles from TX to the North. I stayed at dozens of marinas. I can't recall any saying hail us on 16 first. Maybe one did but even if so that is a tiny fraction. They all had working channels. Could easily look up online on their website or a boating site. I also had no problem getting slip assignments a few hours out. In fact some nights I was not going to arrive until after they closed and either gave them my CC info, settled in morning, or called it in the next day. I learned to do my due diligence on marinas because a few advertised they had 5-6+ feet of water and when I pilled in it was more like 1-2' and I was stuck in mud. Plenty of info online (and that is why its important to leave reviews!). I usually don't need docking assistance but a couple times I was single handed or in extreme wind/tight space, I did opt to call for it. I tend to call dock hands to meet me at the pump more often than docking assistance as they usually aren't standing at the pump and off doing something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
I have many times on the ICW and in New England AFTER I have tried on their working channel that I have looked up. Seems lots of dock attendants forget to switch their radios back to scan and are only on 16.

Marinas on the ICW do almost always ask you to hail on 16 just before arrival. I suspect it is because they are tired of, when they ask people to hail on their working channel, being asked, "How do I do that? (Change channels)". I've been asked that often when asking other boats to switch channels. Unbelievable but true.

That is why most only stay on their working channel. Then they don't forget to switch back. My experience is with dozens of marinas from TX to the North. Maybe a few do monitor 16 but most do not. In fact, I am one of the few that will help someone with the correct working channel when they are hailing on 16 non-stop and not getting a response. My general experience traveling the ICW is that most marinas had a working channel and that is where I hailed them.

mystery is offline   Reply With Quote