Prop removal 60 HP Yamaha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freespool

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Adventure
Vessel Make
Offshore 62
Hello all,

I recently purchased a boat that included a tender with a 60hp Yamaha outboard. Unfortunately I spun the prop and now cannot remove the prop from the shaft. I tried to remove it by using a block of wood and a hammer but did not have any luck.

I have investigated how to remove it and have seen several youtube videos of various prop removers and cannot find any for sale. My mechanic says he has never failed with a hammer and a block of wood. This seems counterintuitive to me. Any recommendations? I

Lefty-loosie, righty-tighty? More leverage?

There are several threads on loosening frozen nuts that discuss heat, miracle penetrating oils, etc. There are almost as many favorite techniques as there are members.

I've never had to use a hammer or resort to drastic nut removal techniques, but a block of wood wedged between the correct side of the prop and the ground or a 2x4 in the prop blades held in place by the casing or the planing fins if they're sturdy enough works for me. Once held reliably, a heavy-duty socket wrench with a long handle or extension, if needed, does the trick. That's worked on my Merc Alpha OD and my Yamaha 25 OB.

60 HP on a tender? That baby must get up and go!

Greg,

Thanks for your reply. To clarify, it's NOT the nut that is stuck on. The prop shaft is frozen to the spline.

Yes, I have done the block of wood on the back of the prop's fins. Before getting a bigger hammer as has been suggested by my mechanic, I wanted to see about recommendations for a prop puller.

It's a 14' Nouvarania with a 60 Yamaha.

If all else fails, right angle grinder and cold chisel.

Common problem. Use a puller to pull prop, then cut rubber off splined hub, then a fiber blade to cut the hub. Sometimes a puller can grab the thrust washer and pull it off that way.

If you don't have the tools to do it, just take it to an outboard shop, they deal with this all the time and will have the tools.

Annually, remove the prop, clean the splines, and re-grease with water resistant grease. This will never happen again.

Back
Top Bottom