Old 03-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #1

City: Southampton
Vessel Name: ANDROMEDA
Vessel Model: MAINSHIP 400
Prop fouling

There is quite allot of junk and discarded pot lines floating near the surface of the water , at night this can cause a big problem , even to the point of this shutting down your engine.

Twin engine boat could be a little more vulnerable, but do have that second engine to carry on with.
Single prop boats can and do get prop fouling.
A prop shaft can come loose from the flange coupling.
An inspection is required here, a 1/2" line can cause allot of damage
You could get lucky by momentarily putting the boat in reverse.

First option :- Ch 16 or Cell phone. *SEA TOW. Have a professional deal with the problem.

Last option :-

What i am about to tell you is very dangerous and requires prudence and due diligence
and must only be performed as a last option by a healthy competent person.

There is a need to have a plan of action or chain of events *that is agreed upon.

For Example " Show and Tell " *address crew by name.

Mavis *: I am stopping the Engine
Mavis : *I am stopping the generator
Mavis : *I am lowering the anchor.

The key to safe boating is " Communications"

I have had a dinghy line in my prop and i am not the only one.

May I put it this way , i am out for a cruise .

If we get a prop fouling and i have no other option open to me but to go over the side, *i would wait it out, till i decide *that it is safe to do so.

First of all the anchor will need be to be set *to secured the boat into to wind.

I will need :-
On Deck assistants.

Face mask.
Flippers.
Heavy gloves.
Tools.
Personal Safety Line, to the boat with a rescue pull code established, in case of leg cramp.

There are two other items required

1) A*construction helmet with chin strap *or a large motor cycle *helmet *with styrofoam removed and replaced with sponge rubber foam.

The helmets must be pre drilled at the top to eliminate buoyancy.
The helmet is a safety device to protect your head under water from a pitching boat.

2) *Hacksaw, also attach a line to prevent loss.
The *Blade should be *set in reverse *for a" pull action."

I would not *take any kind of *knife in the water.

I would not stay under water for long periods, just short stints.
I would allow for rest periods.
You are already stressed to start with.
Take your time.

Plan "B"
Have a parrots beak cutter pliers as an alternate cutting device which would *be safer to *use , also attach a line to prevent loss.

It is *VERY * dangerous *to go under a boat at sea.

-- Edited by SOMERS on Friday 11th of March 2011 04:59:02 PM
SOMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Guru

Re: Prop fouling

I had to dive in without mask due to allowing the dingy painter to fowl the prop when trying to set the anchor. I was in calm waters just off the ICW and the anchor was set. Reversing did no good. It took 3 tries, but I was able to untangle without cutting. I was exhausted when done.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Grand Vizier

Anybody use line cutters?* I installed Spurs but don't know whether they have ever come into play.* If they have, they worked cause I didn't notice.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #4

I've thought about putting in spurs... but they are PRICEY. I have twin screws, so I figure if I foul one, i could limp home on the other engine.
I've only fouled a prop once, on 20' center console with an outboard - even tilting the engine up, on a warm summer day in super protected waters with a GOOD sharp serrated knife - it was ALOT ALOT ALOT of work to cut that line (I tied it back to the pot's float, so the lobsterman wouldn't lose his pot).
7tiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Fouled prop can be really bad news. Friend of mine reported that he had lost his father to a fouled prop. Off Sandspit Haida Gwai, the old guy (early fifties) was out getting his crab traps and fouled a crab trap line around the prop on his tin boat, and overturned before getting it freed. Take care guys.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
Grand Vizier

An alternative to Spurs, although equally pricey is quicKutter, which has a very simple but seemingly effective action.* You can see a video of how it works on their site.* It looks like every installation requires some machining, so installation is more complicated, but I like the fact that there are no moving parts but still very effective cutting action.

http://www.h4marine.com/QuicKutter01.htm
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

I never thought about wearing a hard hat or bike helmet under the boat.

It doe's make a lot of sense to protect your head.

I can't work* well in heavy gloves so I think those light ones with the Kevlar dots would be my choice.

I only cut one line off the prop shaft years ago on my Dads boat.* It was no problem-but what is when you are a strapping teen?

I still scrape my prop and change zincs in the water but only when it is calm and warm.

Like Somers said be CAREFULL*under a boat!

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #8

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse

Because we were worried about fouling our props when travelling down the Atlantic coast with all the lobster pots, we installed propshaft "line cutters". *

Needless to say, we tried to avoid all obstacles, but if we did catch anything on our props, the linecutters seemed to have worked - we never had a problem!

I can tell you that they really are sharp!
Attached Thumbnails
launch week 2009 029.jpg   launch week 2009 030.jpg  
Attached Images

Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville

Quote:
Delfin wrote:

Anybody use line cutters?*
We installed a ProProtector.* Does it work?* I don't know.* We have traveled 10,000+ miles since installation and have never fauled the prop with lots of overnighters.*
*http://www.prop-protector-usa.com/rope_cutters/
Attached Thumbnails
dscf0020.jpg   dscf0019.jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
Guru

Prop fouling

I installed Spurs on my previous single screw old Mainship. They cut lines cleanly 3 times (that I know of) *during the 14 years I ran them.
My current boat has a cutting disc similar to the "shaft shark" shown in the previous post but without serrations. I have never encountered a line with this disc.

-- Edited by jleonard on Friday 11th of March 2011 10:56:28 AM
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
SOMERS wrote:

First of all the anchor will need be to be set *to secured the boat into to wind.

I will need :-
On Deck assistants.

Face mask.
Flippers.
Heavy gloves.
Tools.
Personal Safety Line, to the boat with a rescue pull code established, in case of leg cramp.

There are two other items required

1) A*construction helmet with chin strap *or a large motor cycle *helmet *with styrofoam removed and replaced with sponge rubber foam.

The helmets must be pre drilled at the top to eliminate buoyancy.
The helmet is a safety device to protect your head under water from a pitching boat.

It is *VERY * dangerous *to go under a boat at sea.

-- Edited by SOMERS on Friday 11th of March 2011 04:59:02 PM
Or, you could do what I did when a rush of stupidity caused my sea anchor to become fouled on the prop while fishing outside the Golden Gate, in the shipping lanes, in the fog.* Not a good place to be.* With no way to anchor due to deep water, and no diving gear aboard, my choices were call for help, and hope I wouldn't get run over by a ship while waiting or simply go under the boat and free up the prop.* So, I stripped down to my underwear, tied a rope around my waist, grabbed a knife and went under the boat.* With the boat pitching up and down, I held the shaft with a straight arm so the relative motion was small, and proceeded to untangle the lines.* It took about three dives, but I got it free.* On the last dive, I came up under the sea anchor, and had to dive back down to swim past it.* Not the smartest thing I ever did, but with hundreds of dives under my belt, I was very comfortable under water, and it seemed the best option.* The wife was really mad at me for doing it, and didn't speak to me for a week, but we made it home, and had a nice salmon dinner.* I wouldn't recommend others try anything similar unless you were VERY confident of your skills.................Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

We used to have a rule that he or she who was at the helm at the time a lobster pot line was fouled in the prop had to do the dive and knife routine. She did it three times before I caught one. The rule got changed then and there to limping into harbor (twin engines at that time) and calling a diver. My excuse was that a female has more natural insulation against the cold water. Then the fight started. Not really. We were younger and more fit then as well. Now we have a single engine, a Shaft Shark and pray.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote