Old 02-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
It's one thing to buy a small POS boat from the seller. You hook up to them, haul them home, park them, haul them to the dump a few years later since you didn't ever get them running.

However, something you have to pay storage on is different. Wonder if the slip fee is current or a surprise there? What about mechanics charges?

The owner claims to have run it last summer. I see that possibility. Went out on it. Engine cut off. Got towed in. Said, I'm through with this. Won't someone please take this off my hands.

I read "a little work on the interior" but I see and would bet the entire interior is in bad shape. It all looks quite weathered to me. Not like inside should be. Oh, don't think they walked away in disgust? They didn't even fool with the dishes out. Everything with a soft surface is covered mildew and mold. Look at the floor around the engine hatch and the clear signs it's been very wet. Look at the walls in the v-berth and all the signs of leaks. Look at the crap beside the sink and the way things overall have been left, much a let's get the heck out of here and as far away from this thing as we can.

As to the inboard/outboard, I just think it's an organization that knows nothing about the boat as it's a Perkins and straight inboard I feel reasonably certain.

I do give it one positive. When the photo was taken, it was floating. But then another interesting point. We have no idea when the photo was taken. The seller knows nothing about it. They're in California and the boat in MS.

And what does this mean? "Donor has state equivalent of title to the boat and will transfer to the purchaser." Either they have a title or they don't. Titling a boat is optional in MS. What a joy to deal with in another state if it's never been titled.

And now the most important part of my post:

Money after whatever portion goes to It's Donated goes to Eye Birth Defects Research Foundation.

Last reported year, 2013, the organization receiving the money raised $22k and had expenses of $33k. Their liabilities exceeded their assets at the end of the year by $6k. While I find eyes, especially of children, to be extremely important and touching, this organization gave nothing toward it's claimed objective of eye research and the only expenses that in any way might have benefitted someone are $521 for Medical Supplies and $118 for travel.

Please, if you have $1200 extra sitting around, find a better way to use it.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #22
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
That one has the look of a boat that rested on the bottom, filled with water, and was refloated and immediately "Donated".

Those donation programs used to get the donor a tax receipt for whatever value was agreed between the donor and the program, but the tax man (at least the Canada revenue Agency) has new rules that only give the donor a tax credit based upon the actual resale value, hence the speedy resale.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
That one has the look of a boat that rested on the bottom, filled with water, and was refloated and immediately "Donated".

Those donation programs used to get the donor a tax receipt for whatever value was agreed between the donor and the program, but the tax man (at least the Canada revenue Agency) has new rules that only give the donor a tax credit based upon the actual resale value, hence the speedy resale.
I would agree with your appraisal. You wonder if it was insured and totaled.

That's what this site is doing now too. They give an initial receipt for $500 and then a final receipt for whatever it sold for.

Yes, all these car donations were at one time used by many as tax schemes to get inflated deductions. They've really clamped down on donation of property. Salvation Army now has a donation pricing guide as personal items are supposed to be at thrift store prices. There once were wealthy ladies who would buy expensive dresses, wear them once or twice, donate them and deduct the original purchase price and they'd do similar with furniture. They'd refurnish their house taking huge donations for the old and in essence the government (though the tax deduction) was footing a large part of the cost of refurnishing, perhaps 30-40%. Not as many antiques donated now that an appraisal is required and many of the "antiques" are just old.

There's a bit of a trend in used high end furniture stores. Some of those who sell to the store or put it on consignment previously donated. Now they sell it and donate the money.

People who legitimately donate money or items do so to help causes and I really resent when the charity is not spending the money for that cause. There are some huge charities with horrific records. Then I know one large foundation that their sole use of funds is to help patients with major illnesses or diseases who need assistance. They raised $82 million last year and 98.5% went directly to patients. Their entire administrative costs were no more than the heads of some large charities make.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #24
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Why is it that a lot of folks think you can just take an old boat out and sink it. It doesnt really work that way. First problem will be that it wont sink, just kinda keep floating mostly submerged. Now youve created a hazard to navigation. Even if it does sink it will leave an oil trail for miles, easy for the USCG to track. They like to investigate sinkings. The worst case would be that it floats around, leaking oil and diesel until someone hits it in the night, then they sink. Again, the coasties investigate, find your boat, you're screwed.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
Why is it that a lot of folks think you can just take an old boat out and sink it. It doesnt really work that way. First problem will be that it wont sink, just kinda keep floating mostly submerged. Now youve created a hazard to navigation. Even if it does sink it will leave an oil trail for miles, easy for the USCG to track. They like to investigate sinkings. The worst case would be that it floats around, leaking oil and diesel until someone hits it in the night, then they sink. Again, the coasties investigate, find your boat, you're screwed.
I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting doing that. There has been some of that at Stock Island, Key West, but in a roundabout way. Much like this boat we're talking about that the buyer won't intend to sink. In the Stock Island scenario, the marina is finding itself stuck with an old piece of junk no one wants. They now own it over past due rents, liens placed and judgments. So they sell it to a homeless person or other for $10 or less. Then they help the person get it running and move away from the dock. The buyer gets out a ways, the boat starts taking on water, the CG rescues the new owner. Now the CG has the problem of salvage.

Stephen, 66, is retired and lives on $ 800/month social security and until that afternoon had never been on a boat at sea before. He’d used all of his savings to buy into this great Craig’s List “bargain”: a 1943 tugboat called “Tilly”.

Sonia Eliott. She too was given a great deal: a 45- foot wooden sailboat that had been abandoned for six years at a Stock Island boatyard. The only condition was that she had to take the boat away as soon as it had been lowered into the water.

“It started to sink right away,” said Sonia, “I pleaded with them to haul it back out, so we could try to fix it, but they said that was not the deal.”

The cost of salvage and disposal can run from $50k to $500k.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #26

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Sea Triscuit
Vessel Model: Transtar 50'
The 1983 Chien Hwa went for $4,338 on eBay... wow.
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhandler View Post
That's about $30k more than it's worth probably.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhandler View Post
For someone who wants a cheap stationary live aboard it may be a good deal. We have many badly deteriorating live aboard boats in Seattle area where land rents and taxes are very high compared to marina rents. I don't know what other areas are experiencing but this does happen here. These boats become a problem when they finally go all the way down hill.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:40 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
For someone who wants a cheap stationary live aboard it may be a good deal. We have many badly deteriorating live aboard boats in Seattle area where land rents and taxes are very high compared to marina rents. I don't know what other areas are experiencing but this does happen here. These boats become a problem when they finally go all the way down hill.
I can imagine it's going to be very costly just moving it from where it is to another marina. Then you're talking somehow insuring it. Then many marinas won't take a boat that won't run on it's on power. And, if it sinks, worse. Plus hope they've determined no liens on it.