Old 08-03-2014, 12:05 AM   #1
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Problem Solving Afloat!

We all have learned new skills, learned new uses for old skills and learned to solve myriad problems since acquiring a boat. Tonight showed how valuable that can be. We are anchored out is a quiet cove on the backside of Whidbey Island enjoying a beautiful summer eve with some good friends who were thoughtful enough to bring a very, very good bottle of wine with them. After dinner, we went to open the wine and could not find either the fancy $30 opener from Williams=Sonoma or the $1.98 corkscrew. We were at a loss, could not uncork the wine. Berl (also a boat owner) and I started looking around. Went down into the engine room and found the drill on the work bench. Got an auger bit the size of the neck of the bottle. We went up and drilled the cork out. One problem-we now had a bottle of wine full of cork shavings from the drilling! Went back down to the ER and found a new fuel filter. Pulled it apart, got some of filter material, filtered the wine through it, and in less than 30 minutes start to finish, we were sitting on the back deck watching the sunset drinking a very good wine!

Boat ownership brings out skills and problem solving abilities you never knew you had!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:38 AM   #2
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
McGyver would have been proud!
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:04 AM   #3
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Hmmm. You might say "polished" vino, no?

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Next time buy wine with the twist off metal cap. Proven (shock - horror) actually better than corked anyway. They are taking on.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:03 AM   #5
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Well done, THD. There is always a way.

A shoe would work, but it may leave marks on the side of your cabin wall.

AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
We all have learned new skills, learned new uses for old skills and learned to solve myriad problems since acquiring a boat. Tonight showed how valuable that can be. We are anchored out is a quiet cove on the backside of Whidbey Island enjoying a beautiful summer eve with some good friends who were thoughtful enough to bring a very, very good bottle of wine with them. After dinner, we went to open the wine and could not find either the fancy $30 opener from Williams=Sonoma or the $1.98 corkscrew. We were at a loss, could not uncork the wine. Berl (also a boat owner) and I started looking around. Went down into the engine room and found the drill on the work bench. Got an auger bit the size of the neck of the bottle. We went up and drilled the cork out. One problem-we now had a bottle of wine full of cork shavings from the drilling! Went back down to the ER and found a new fuel filter. Pulled it apart, got some of filter material, filtered the wine through it, and in less than 30 minutes start to finish, we were sitting on the back deck watching the sunset drinking a very good wine!

Boat ownership brings out skills and problem solving abilities you never knew you had!
You've never driven a sheet metal screw into the cork and then used pliers to pull it out?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #7
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You've never driven a sheet metal screw into the cork and then used pliers to pull it out?
Yep!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I've found that 'one more margarita' helps to solve a problem....

We had anchored at Sucia Island in the San Juans and tossed out a crab pot. Stupid me, I didn't think to use a weighted line. As we moved about on the anchor the floating line got tangled in the rudders and props. I discovered this when I tried to pull up the crab pot and was about to don the wetsuit, mask snorkel and go under the boat to clear the line.

I decided to have 'one more margarita' before doing it and the solution came to me about mid-drink. Using the boat pole I snagged the line beneath the props/rudders. I then took the line off the cleat. I was able to gently pull on the 'downstream' end of the line and watched it snake through the props and rudders, freeing itself.

I know it was that 'one more margarita' that brought the solution to me. Ahhhh, the magical powers of tequila!
Old 08-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post

No coffee filters onboard?We don't drink coffee but we still keep coffee filters for various other tasks.

Oh,and I once patched a 4 foot hole in the hull with chew gum and a tooth pick before she went down.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Racor filters?? Ahhhh a fine vintage wine enhanced with Aquabloc chemical treatment, no thanks I prefer coffee filters or paper towel.

Must have really wanted that wine.

*Aquabloc II media is a blend of high grade cellulose compounded with resins and a special chemical treatment.

* https://www.parker.com/literature/.../fdrb365uk.pdf
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #11
Guru

Once the cork particles go into the wine, the bottle is finito. That is why you do not have to accept a bottle of wine at a fine restaurant when the server goes through the cork with a corkscrew.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
That's why I take a Racor to the restaurant...the Aquabloc saves the bottle....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:53 PM   #13
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Once the cork particles go into the wine, the bottle is finito. That is why you do not have to accept a bottle of wine at a fine restaurant when the server goes through the cork with a corkscrew.
Not really. if the cork is clean and uninfected it should not have much if any effect on the wine. There are rare exceptions of course. But for the most part you just want to remove the bits of cork ASAP and then drink the wine.

And I would stay away from using Racor filter elements as cork bit strainers.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:43 AM   #14
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Well, no ill effects yet from the filter, although the sunset was amazingly intense! But there definitely was no water in the wine!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #15
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
What am I missing here? A bottle of properly stored wine would have been on its side, and the wine would have been in contact with the cork.

So why does a piece of cork floating in the wine ruin the bottle?
Old 08-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
That was a NEW, UNUSED filter, right?
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #17
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
What am I missing here? A bottle of properly stored wine would have been on its side, and the wine would have been in contact with the cork.

In the vast majority of cases it doesn't. But if the bottle was stored improperly and the cork gets mold on it that can contaminate the wine. It's my understanding it can be more of a concern with certain whites.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #18
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post

I don't think you're missing anything. It doesn't affect the wine at all, but some don't see it as "proper" to have cork bits removed from your wine.

It takes more than a bit of cork to put me off a nice red.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #19
Guru

City: Georgia
You need roughage, so drink the cork and skip the salad.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #20
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
We never have that problem with our "cardboard box".
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote