Problem getting the sea water pump off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timetraveler

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Shema
Vessel Make
78 heritage West Indian 36 trawler
I had a sea pump leaking from the front of the pump. I disconnected everything but the clamp holding it down has rusted bolts heads and I can't get them off. Got the top part off which was also broke and the top half came off but not enough of it to get the pump off. If I can get the end off that is mounted on the shaft.I can slid it out but there is a hex head bolt holding the peice on the pump shaft. I bought a new set of Allen wrenches and they don't fit go enough to get the hex head bolt off. Do they make special tools that fit this bolt.

What engine is this?

Maybe a picture or two?

Yes, pictures and description will help, in the meantime a good application penetrating oil, with some light tapping on the bolt heads might help loosen things up. Those hex heads may be metric, or std.
Good luck

I tried so hard to explain it I forgot to tell y'all what motor was. It is a Perkins 6.354. The pump is mounted on the side of the motor. I tried all the Allen wrenches but none fix perfect enough to turn the bolt.
Thinking I may grind the mount off being that is already broke on one side.

Thank you for the advice.

Sea water pump

I got it tonight. Had to use a grinder but its off. The mount that held it in place was in rough shape it was broke in 3 spots. So now I will try to find that to.

Another good note and close call. The generator would crank and run but when it got a load on it, it would die but I had everything off. While I was in the engine compartment I saw a wire that was burned almost in half, I tracked it down to a outlet box that was hidden in the wall. Found it in the breaker box and disconnected it. I started the generator and it purred like a kitten. Ran everything for about a hour off the generator. Scary though.

Drove 400 miles last month with no a/c over a short. Man that was a hot trip.

The best penetrating oil I've ever used is "AeroKroil." You can research it on Google by searching Kano Labs. (Thread Hijack---sorry).

Kroil, in a squirt top can, is available in many gun shops and sporting goods retailer. I agree with the barefoot one;) that it is an excellent penetrating oil. Also great on cleaning rifle/shotgun bores. I keep a can in my gun cleaning case but have used it on frozen fasteners on many types of metal to metal interfaces.

Didn't know I could clean my firearms with Kroil. Thanks.

Older Perkins and Lehmans are all US thread.

One problem to another

Got the pump off but the mount that was holding it on is broke in 3 different spots. It hard to discribe but the mount is flat on the bottom it comes up in a circle and has a bolt on the top in the middle to tighten the mount to the pump. If anyone know where I can find this it would help.

Got the pump off but the mount that was holding it on is broke in 3 different spots. It hard to discribe but the mount is flat on the bottom it comes up in a circle and has a bolt on the top in the middle to tighten the mount to the pump. If anyone know where I can find this it would help.
Can you post photos, it might help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom