Old 02-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sidney
Private mooring Tsehum Harbour Sidney

Just came across this mooring buoy for $1750 Can.

http://victoria.craigslist.ca/boa/5443859031.html

What I was told;
You can see it from the fuel dock.
It was put down 3 years ago and inspected last July.
3 inch wide chain weighing 300 lbs.
200 lb. cement block with 11 100 lb. cement bags attached.
Transient rental is allowed.

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
lol, I was just thinking what a great scam that would be. Sell off random mooring buoys that you don't own or that are placed illegally.

How does one verify the ownership of a mooring buoy?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
lol, I was just thinking what a great scam that would be. Sell off random mooring buoys that you don't own or that are placed illegally.

How does one verify the ownership of a mooring buoy?
Plus determine it is legally placed and that the right to place it there is transferable? I'm just not familiar with the practices of privately owner mooring bouys in mooring fields.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:13 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Plus determine it is legally placed and that the right to place it there is transferable? I'm just not familiar with the practices of privately owner mooring bouys in mooring fields.
Good questions. Here in WA state, a private residence has the privilege of setting a mooring buoy adjacent to their property as long as it doesn't interfere with prior rights or interfere with navigation. What they can't do is lease or rent that buoy separate from the residence. ie, you can't rent a mooring buoy you placed in front of your house, but you can rent the house with the mooring buoy.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 02-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

It's a gong show up here! Regulations are few to none! You don't need to be resident to out one down. I know of of a chap from California who has one off Annette,Pont, Prevost Is. I live in Lions Bay and I know of someone from Squamish who has one off one of the waterfront properties here.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
It's a gong show up here! Regulations are few to none! You don't need to be resident to out one down. I know of of a chap from California who has one off Annette,Pont, Prevost Is. I live in Lions Bay and I know of someone from Squamish who has one off one of the waterfront properties here.

Jim
Well, as I recall in going back and finding some videos of the gong show, one can ultimately be gonged.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Fortunately there is a Harbour Authority for this buoy field as well as legal holders for the private ones. If anyone is truly interested the ownership and niceties are easy enough to sort out. I see this mooring field 100 meters off my back deck. But, lots of shallow water.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:11 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Fortunately there is a Harbour Authority for this buoy field as well as legal holders for the private ones. If anyone is truly interested the ownership and niceties are easy enough to sort out.
Then you know something few others do.
In doing some homework for curiosity only, Van Isle Marina referred me to Parks Canada, who sent me to the Tsehum Harbour Wharfinger who stated emphatically, Transport Canada in Vancouver is the proper authority.

Transport Canada entered me in the departmental hopscotch parade with no return call from any of the 5 voice mailrooms I entered.

The gentleman offering the mooring while being decent and legitimate, has no clue about authorities or niceties.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:56 PM   #9
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
private mooring buoys are becoming a significant issue on the route from Toronto to the Bahamas. eg. Beaufort NC, a terrific anchorage destroyed by people planting old V8's with chain and charging $25 per night. Not sure how they get away with taking over public domain for a profit.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #10
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Then you know something few others do.
In doing some homework for curiosity only, Van Isle Marina referred me to Parks Canada, who sent me to the Tsehum Harbour Wharfinger who stated emphatically, Transport Canada in Vancouver is the proper authority.

Transport Canada entered me in the departmental hopscotch parade with no return call from any of the 5 voice mailrooms I entered.

The gentleman offering the mooring while being decent and legitimate, has no clue about authorities or niceties.

People are plopping them down without a lot of info and they certainly aren't checking with authorities. I know the guy at the Lions Bay marina who is doing the work and he just takes your money and drops them down. The Village thinks they have jurisdiction but in reality, they don't. It's a complicated mess, to which Hawgwash alludes. Also complicated with foreshore rights but it's all ignored.

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:44 PM   #11
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Unless that mooring is in a very protected harbor it is a very light duty setup. For example, I have a private mooring in a reasonably protected harbor. It consists of a 5,000 lump of granite, 40' of 1-1/4" chain (bottom chain), 40' of 5/8" top chain and a 20'x 7/8" double braid pennant. My mooring is rated for a 40' boat. My mooring is in 31' at high water and 16 feet a low.

Here moorings are regulated by the local town. I have a permit and pay an annual fee. I cannot rent my mooring out unless I agree to have it inspected annually. For a non-rental mooring the inspection cycle is 3 years.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:36 PM   #12
Guru

In Puget Sound, virtually all mooring buoys need to have a permit by the Washington Dept of Natural Resources (DNR). Any moorings that don't have the permit as illegal. Most mooring in Puget Sound are illegal but enforcement is difficult. Generally, DNR responds to complaints, ie you put a mooring in front of another persons property, have an abandoned vessel attached to it, or it impedes navigation in some way.

One of DNRs concerns is how the chain from moorings scours the sea floor, damaging eelgrass and kelp beds. These are important for continued fish habitat so DNR is encouraging (requiring?) the use of all rope moorings with a mid-line float to keep the line from rubbing along the seabed. These would need to be dived on for maintenance much more frequently than the old "hunk of concrete and chain" moorings which are so common.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 02-28-2016, 12:19 PM   #13
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Also, I believe that regs are moving towards screw anchors rather than random-assed lumps of whatever.

Keith
Old 02-28-2016, 12:23 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Also, I believe that regs are moving towards screw anchors rather than random-assed lumps of whatever.

Lots of random-assed stuff up here. We still use tide grids and I bet Eric is the only one knows what they are.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:31 PM   #15
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post

Lots of random-assed stuff up here. We still use tide grids and I bet Eric is the only one knows what they are.
I have used one for some quick bottom work. We have one next to the town dock.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
I have used one for some quick bottom work. We have one next to the town dock.
Well yeah, but you're probably the same vintage as Eric.

And me.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: port orchard, wa
Vessel Name: skybird
Vessel Model: skookum/one off
where the heck is 'lions bay', bc
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:41 PM   #18
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
where the heck is 'lions bay', bc
Google is you friend, search "Lions Bay, BC" and it will show you on a map. It is about 15 miles north of Horseshoe Bay on the east side of Howe Sound...
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:42 PM   #19
Guru

Google, my friend, Google. But then we don't want everybody to know either.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #20
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Google is indeed your friend...this was the first item listed for searching: transport Canada mooring

https://www.tc.gc.ca/Publications/en...R/TP14799E.pdf

Where it says, in part;

Quote:
The Navigable Waters Protection Act (NWPA) protects the public right of navigation in all Canadian waters. It states, “No work shall be built or placed in, on, over, under, through or across any navigable water unless it is approved by the Minister.”

The Navigable Water Protection Program (NWPP) may require work owners to install private buoys or other aids to navigation to mark wharves, marinas, aquaculture areas, water intakes and outfalls, dams, and bridges, etc. According to the NWPA, these buoys must be reviewed and approved along with the work, and must be installed and maintained according to legal standards, or as directed by the Minister.

Transport Canada considers mooring buoys as “works” under the NWPA, since they usually secure vessels in fixed locations (such as docks, piers or wharves), and do not aid or direct mariners.

This means that the placement of a mooring buoy is subject to review and approval under the NWPA, unless otherwise excluded by TC policies and standards. To learn more, please contact your local NWPP office.
You're welcome