Old 02-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post

Lots of random-assed stuff up here. We still use tide grids and I bet Eric is the only one knows what they are.
I have lots of memories from my childhood and youth (not altogether pleasant ones) of working on the hull of my dad's sailboat, usually at 3:00 am in the dark and cold trying to get the work done on the tide. It seems as if the right tides never would occur during the day on a weekend but at night. Maybe it was just my Dad's peculiar sense of time.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #22

City: port orchard, wa
Vessel Name: skybird
Vessel Model: skookum/one off
we have a tidal grid at port orchard yc! use it every yr! i helped build it, and was the 1st one to use it! every town in alaska has one or more grids...when we lived in wrangell, ak, there were 2 grids, used to do all, or most of the bottom work! every spring, i got the privledge of wrapping my hands around a paint brush handle!...clyde
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Google is you friend, search "Lions Bay, BC" and it will show you on a map. It is about 15 miles north of Horseshoe Bay on the east side of Howe Sound...
Until the very late 1960s Lions Bay was a small collection of summer homes accessed by a gravel road. Howe Sound was pretty much like so many of the coastal inlets; rugged and mostly uninhabited.

Today, the Village of Lions Bay, with a population of about 1,500 is an enclave of the elite. Sorry Mr. Cave. Retired politicians, greens and my dentist who as an avid triathlete, seems to coordinate exotic cruises with my root canals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lions_Bay
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM
You're welcome
Ah yes and thankyew. Now, if only I can get them to return my phone call to answer a simple question "how to authenticate ownership."
Old 02-28-2016, 03:55 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Hawg:

I have a properly installed private mooring bouy in front of my house on Saltspring Island. I had it placed about 4 years ago, complete for $1400.00 I don't know if the price has changed much since then.
The anchor is a 5' x 2.5'x2.5' concrete block that I have been told weighs approx 4000#. The chain is 3" long 1/2" diameter links, galvanized. I used my own "topper" 2 tire float, but had I wanted, would have had a float that looks like the one advertised, for no extra charge. After three years I had a diver inspect all of the gear. He advised me to remove the bottom 10' of chain, as he thought it would not wrap around the block and sink the float, as he presumed (correctly) had been occurring. That process also eliminated a worn shackle at the bottom. He told me to put him on my calendar for another inspection in 2018.
As for location, that area is under the jurisdiction of the Harbours Board. When I asked about my own location, they told me it was fair game, so long as I was not impeding the fairway. Since Google Maps shows a number of private moorings in Tsehum Harbour, I presume they are all operating on the same level of permission, ie '"OK until it isn't any more".
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:04 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver;
I presume they are all operating on the same level of permission, ie '"OK until it isn't any more".
Thanks. I presume you are correct since everyone says "I see notheeeng."
Old 02-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #27

City: Port Moody
Vessel Name: Twilight1
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
[QUOTE=JDCAVE;418533]People are plopping them down without a lot of info and they certainly aren't checking with authorities. I know the guy at the Lions Bay marina who is doing the work and he just takes your money and drops them down. The Village thinks they have jurisdiction but in reality, they don't. It's a complicated mess, to which Hawgwash alludes. Also complicated with foreshore rights but it's all ignored.

And then there's the free-lance crab traps up here to make night boating so exciting.

- Dwight
djones44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #28
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
...every town in alaska has one or more grids...
When I was living on my small Romsdahl in Harris Harbor (Juneau) back around 1981 there was a converted minesweeper on our grid that fell over and broke the hull. The tide went in and out of that boat for a couple of weeks until they got it patched up and refloated. I think I have a couple slides of it buried in my archives.

Keith
Old 02-28-2016, 09:39 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djones44;
And then there's the free-lance crab traps up here to make night boating so exciting.
Somebody in Ladysmith Harbour has the answer to crab traps. They just go out and take 'em. I know two locals who have lost two sets each.

Was a time I thought nothing of running back to Vancouver at night from oh, I don't know, maybe Hardy Island, maybe Boat Harbour or somewhere. In fact I used to love coming through the harbour at night.

Sometimes it would be so dead out there, we'd get a 3 or 4 way chat going between maybe a tug, a transiting fish boat and Vancouver Traffic or even Park Royal. Just for fun and company.

I doubt I would be so eager for that any more.