Old 03-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Prep Time

How long does it take to prep your boat to take out, away from the dock? Do you have a check-list?

This is for you liveaboard folks too. KJ

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
Depends on what kind of "going out" we're doing. If it's just an overnight trip to an anchorage in the San Juan Islands it takes us about half an hour from arriving at the boat to leaving the slip. The boat is always stocked with food--refrigerated, canned, and dry-- as well as clothes and whatnot.

And yes, we have a short checklist for both getting the boat ready to go and setting it up for us to leave it at the end of a trip. Sort of a pre-flight/post-flight thing.

If we're going out on a longer cruise--- several days to two or three weeks--- then it takes longer because we have stuff to stow, the groundpower cord to disconnect and stow on board, and so on. So it usually takes about an hour from first arrival to backing out.

And if we have guests accompanying us it can take even longer because they have to stow their stuff in their stateroom, we might need to explain some things to them, and so on.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Took twenty minutes Saturday. Inspect the bilge, systems check, oil check, open sea cocks, fire engine, turn on electronics, unplug shore power, raise door(enclosed berth), throw lines and go.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Not counting the possibility of loading the boat up with lots of supplies or waiting for crew/guests to arrive ... about 15 minutes.

Turn on the electrical circuits, turn on radar, gps, autopilot, radio; check fluid levels, charge fuel, hoist bow burgee and stern ensign, disconnect electrical line to dock, start engine, and cast off lines.

Builders' photo follows. When docked and off the boat, only the shore circuit, inverter charger, and fridge circuit are left on.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:35 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
We have a 15 minute rule- anytime we get the urge to go, we have to able to slip lines and be underway in 15 min or less. Helps us to keep the gear adrift to a minimum.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
5 minutes....and that includes lines, hose, shore power.

This is my 3rd, often used liveaboard.

My rule is it doesn't stay aboard unless it has a pemanent home that is secure for normal underway operations.

Obviously when the boat is undergoing some sort of repairs the rule is slackened..
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
My boat is ready to go with just a few mechanical checks. Food, ice, and drinks are another story, it depends on where we are going and how long we will be gone.

It's never a race, if it's going to take longer, we just leave home earlier.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Never timed it. As Ron says, it's not a race.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Can be a race if you want to make a bridge/lock or beat weather (or escape the ABYC standards police ) ..then again a liveaboard or actively cruising is usually a different story...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I have a complete checklist specific to my boat. I find I really do need to be disciplined about checking it off though I know it by heart, plus, I enter things on there like fluid levels and what if anything was added, notes on how dirty the strainers are, etc both for record keeping and follow up. Being live-aboards / cruisers, many of the items are done the night before especially if we have an early start scheduled.

I've never really timed the whole process end-to end, there are some variables, such as if we are towing the Whaler or have it up top (also a factor when at anchor), or if we have the Sea Stairs mounted vs the ladder, are we on dock water, and of course if anchored how hard the anchor is to bring up and how muddy it and the chain are, etc etc.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
We treat our boat almost (but not quite) like car.

Last Sunday afternoon we went out for a cocktail cruise. Arrived at boat with a pitcher of cocktails and snacks. I made a quick check of the bilge, checked the oil and noticed a bit of water in the Racor. Took about 5 minutes to find a container and drain it.

Then fired up the engine, let it idle 2-3 minutes until air heater went off, cast off the lines and pulled out of the slip. Maybe 10 minutes tops.

Pulling back in the slip is even shorter. Tie the lines (3 minutes) shut down the engine. Hook up shorepower and check panel for AC (2 minutes). Grab the remnants of the snacks and cocktails (none ;-) and walk off the boat.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I could probably do it in less than 15 minutes, but I like to let the engine warm up for 5 to 10 minutes (depending on outside air temperature) before getting under way.

Sadly as I get older a check list has become a necessity (can't remember why). As a charter boat, there are lots of things to be done in the 30 minutes before departure. Customer briefing, system checks, paper work, power cord, dock lines, etc are what come to mind. It's the little things that don't come to mind that are the problem.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
The Eagle is our home, if required less than 15 minutes as I try to keep the Eagle ready at all times. However, to go out more like a 2 to 4 hours. First have to wash the bird poop off the boat, roll up/take down canvas, take down/stow misc interior items, check things out, start the engine/electronics, double check, greet/infform guests of the rules, and throw off the lines. Then once back at the dock about 1 to 2 hours to put things back. Now if we take the run about/dink less than a minute which we use on a daily bases.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I could probably do it in less than 15 minutes, but I like to let the engine warm up for 5 to 10 minutes (depending on outside air temperature) before getting under way.
Ted
I always "warm up" my engine underway so I move off at no wake speed as soon as it is started. No idling without a load for me, it's bad for the engine.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
First off, no checklist, although we have discussed putting one together (more for the return/leaving the boat than going out). If everything is loaded and weather is nice, it doesn't take more than ten minutes or so to put up the flag, open the seacocks, check oil, unhook power, and head out. If it is really cold, we may plug in the block heater for about an hour so that we have heat the moment we leave the dock. If we need to load a bunch of provisions and have friends along, then however long it takes to run to the store again to get the things we forgot (i.e., we have a case of beer, but did someone remember to bring a just in case . . . )
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
We do have a checklist and it takes 15 - 30 minutes depending on things like whether we need to fill up the water tanks and if we are taking the dinghy. We usually drive from the fly bridge and the list helps make sure we have everything we need up there. We also have a "leaving anchorage" list with slightly different things on it like turning on the windlass breaker and wash down pump.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #17
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
We usually drive from the fly bridge and the list helps make sure we have everything we need up there.
That is a good point. Since we only drive from the pilot house, everything is already there the moment we step on the boat. When we take out the sailboat, it takes longer to get ready becuase we need to bring out the horn, flares, binoc, chartplotter, handheld vhf, etc.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #18
Guru

City: Trenton
By myself, 5 to 10 minutes. With my wife and daughter, 45 minutes to 6 months.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #19

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Send a message via Skype™ to mattkab
Those that have checklists (Pineapple Girl, O C Diver, caltexflac, etc), would you be willing to share them? I know they are probably specific to your boat, but as an engineer, I love checklists... I just haven't created my own for departure/arrival/leaving yet.
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
I always "warm up" my engine underway so I move off at no wake speed as soon as it is started. No idling without a load for me, it's bad for the engine.
Agree that long periods of idling isn't good. 5 to 10 minutes of idle followed by hours of cruising in a day has no effect. Can't think of a commercial fisherman or charter boat captain that doesn't let there engine warm up before they leave the dock.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote