Old 11-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Pre-offer surveyor walkthrough?

I know the normal process is:* Make an offer, contingent on acceptable survey and sea trial.* Has anyone used a surveyor*for a short walkthrough prior to making an offer?* While I have had boats for the last 40 years, I would think a second set of experienced eyes could point out some significant issues that would be a deal breaker in the end.
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
RE: Pre-offer surveyor walkthrough?

Yes, it is OK to use a surveyor on a walk through. For that matter your mother-in-law, dentist or anyone else is OK too. But, best you take someone who is really on top of the issues that concern you the most such as FRP, electrical or engines. If you can't decide what the issues are on your inital inspection, you may want to do some more homework and gain experience*to raise your skill levels.

I'm currently going through this exact set of issues and internalizing new stuff on glitzier vessels.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Pre-offer surveyor walkthrough?

I used surveyors to do walk-through inspections twice this past year.* On both occasions they found*significant problems that had not been disclosed by the owners/brokers that warranted walking away from the*vessels.* The cost*of the inspections were $150 each of which*the surveyors offered to give 50% credit if you used them for a full survey.** Money well spent, however, for the next boat*I will do my own*walk-through.*** ************ KJ****

-- Edited by KJ on Tuesday 29th of November 2011 11:46:07 PM
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

What's the point of a pre-offer survey? Your offer is contingent on a proper/complete survey anyway so what is achieved by this additional expense? You need to be knowledgeable enough on your own to make the initial inspection, surveyors are like doctors, you still have to be an informed patient.
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC

Walk through surveys come in handy when you are 3,000 miles from where the boat is located.*Between airfare, hotel, and*car rental, it can get pretty costly to go cross country*to do a preliminary inspection.*

The two walk through's that I've*had done have already saved*me a chunk of money.

I will be doing my own visual on a vessel in two weeks.********* KJ*
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:31 AM   #6

When I am assisting buyers with a purchase of another brokers boat, I do a pre-survey of the boat myself. I am looking for the not so obvious things like fuel tanks issues, rudder post corrosion, deck soft spots, window leakage just to name a few.
marinetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #7

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...

A full survey with seperate engine surveyor on a boat over 45 feet gets expensive. Having a nearby surveyor check the boat prior to having all parties on board for a haul out and sea trial is a great way for a buyer to obtain a comfort level sufficient to make an offer to start the process. I would think of it as more of a "deal maker" rather than a "deal breaker."
yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

I have a surveyor here that will embark on the "main" survey with the conditions that if he sees any red flags to discuss with me and call off the survey if I believe it to be an issue. He will charge a small amount for his time but not the full price and we walk away. Let's just say I have never heard of a broker that has recommend this guy....;-)
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote