Pre-Labor Day Ayala Cove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Here's a photo Al's (FlyWright's) cameraman took over Ayala Cove (Angel Island, San Francisco Bay) the other day, showing the Coot and Ray's (Giggitoni's) GB 42 Mahalo Moi (the two boats in middle of the front row of four boats). I think I see a trace of yellow from the Coot's pilothouse roof, but Al says it stands out via eyeball.

img_101539_0_cb3ea595cfec811e6d452bb9a603fcfb.jpg

Had the opportunity of visiting this 1930, 43-foot Stephens (Stockton, CA) craft. It "screams" classy.

img_101539_1_ddd27dd9542ad5b64ca4cb76b1a1762d.jpg

It's nice to know people "in the right places."

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm out of it. I meant pre-Labor Day.

Yup, your Coot is very visible at a distance. The picture doesn't show it, but the green and yellow color really stands out. It almost looked like a floating John Deere tractor from 1500 ft above!! :whistling:

The day before, I had been watching for your boats crossing San Pablo Bay as I worked the area on the Napa instrument landing system. Friday, we were still working on a landing system in Napa when you guys were anchored in Ayala Cove. The electronics maintenance folks told us they needed 15-20 minutes to make some antenna adjustments so I took the opportunity to fly by the island. After a couple of circles, we returned into position for the next run JUST as they called saying they were ready for another run by us. Sometimes opportunities just click!

Glad you guys had a fun time. Wish I could have been there with you at sea level.

Being dinghy-less, Ray was gracious and provided taxi service in Ayala Cove.

img_101776_0_4842cb14980aa46151c4bfaf0c85381d.jpg

For myself, I'm thinking of an oar-propelled, hard-shelled Trinka 8 with Dinghy Dogs (added floatation along the gunwales), once finishing with upgrades on the Coot. Next year, hopefully.

Ayala Cove is subject to tidal currents and wakes such as from a planing 50-foot motorboat a quarter mile away.

img_101781_0_4a9f15f01642170aefa31d32dcbf5949.jpg

Found it tricky to moor except for Ray and his dinghy's tug-like help.

Last edited:
Another photo of Cielito, the 1930 Stevens Bros. trunk cabin cruiser.

Attachments

• DSC_3901web.jpg
    DSC_3901web.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 104
...and I thought I had a lot of brightwork!

I never noticed that stbd list in Coot before. Must be a little extra bottom paint on that side. :hide:

Al, the Coot's lean was caused by a small wake. Everything is in balance, at least for now.

great photos, thanks Mark. Looks like a fun time. Yeah we've had some rolly polly times in there! And the current can be crazy. Always TRY to get in there around slack. Easier said than done.

Ray and Vickie took a couple of great photos:

img_102118_0_4a67fca6f5bf3a5607be398268f7f480.png

img_102118_1_870e8bd93997b52e0f0b36a6d66e08ce.png

Ray (not Al) & Vickie's Mahalo Moi leaving Angel Island.

img_102119_0_6d53e28029b93fed28473d5c1525191b.png

Last edited:
You'll have to excuse me...I have to go make-out with Meg!

You guys aren't going to believe who's at my front door!

great photos, thanks Mark. Looks like a fun time. Yeah we've had some rolly polly times in there! And the current can be crazy. Always TRY to get in there around slack. Easier said than done.

Whose idea was to have the fore-and-aft mooring layout aligned perpendicular to the currents?!

img_103828_0_4a67fca6f5bf3a5607be398268f7f480.png

Last edited:
Better to fight the current arriving and departing than to roll with the wakes from the ferries, tankers, and tugs!

I recall rolling, not pitching, regardless.

Better to fight the current arriving and departing than to roll with the wakes from the ferries, tankers, and tugs!

Yeah it is bad enough as it is. Were all the moorings in place? Last time we were there several were missing...

A few were "out of line" which I don't fully understand because the anchors are supposedly "screwed" into the substrate. The old concrete blocks used to be pulled all over the cove by the end of the season.

The Ayala Cove regulation is a maximum of two boats in a "raft" so as to have a maximum of four boats pulling on any one mooring buoy. Recall seeing three sailboats in a raft when we were there. One is supposed to have the bow facing toward Raccoon Strait, but a large minority of the boats were facing the wrong direction. Noted no evidence of policing by state-park rangers regarding mooring regulations or fee payments the 42 hours we were there.

Last edited:
I suppose the enforcement is hit or miss, depending upon staffing. Twice I have been approached by rangers in an inflatable checking for evidence of payment. They have always been cordial and professional.

If they did their homework examining actual payments, the rangers needn't necessarily interact with boaters at all regarding payment since they can observe boat name or registration number from the hull. Having/showing a self-prepared payment stub isn't evidence by itself of payment.

I've only ever seen the rangers out in a boat checking on a busy summer weekend. I have frequently seen boats in backwards, crossways or on only one ball (not bow and stern). I've also seen people arrive at dusk and leave early, thus avoiding paying. Kind of a shame as I think it raises the price for those of us who do pay. $30 is steep, at least around here, for an overnight mooring. Many places charge that for dock space w electricity. We were just at a marina last weekend for $20/night with electricity.

One of the state employees has a boat on the hard while he performs repairs. Perhaps I could convince them to allow me to run a power cord to shore...???

Giggitoni said:
One of the state employees has a boat on the hard while he performs repairs. Perhaps I could convince them to allow me to run a power cord to shore...???

Lol is love to see all the cords strung together. How do you keep then out of the water Ray?

Suspend the cords from the masts, of course. :whistling:

Ray, did you check out the Coot's radar reflection as you had planned?

Yep. I could see you easily. I think we were about three miles from each other at the greatest distance in San Pablo Bay. Why are you up at 03:00?

Why are you up at 03:00?

Fell asleep at 8:00 p.m. and woke up after seven hours sleep. Got little sleep the night before because Perla stayed up all night packing two large boxes containing 104 pounds of gifts and food and making last-minute shopping trips. I was concerned she would miss the 8:30 a.m. shuttle to the airport to catch her flight to the Philippines. She finished packing with only two minutes to spare.

Back
Top Bottom