Prairie 29 Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petemait

Vessel Make
Wellcraft 248 Sportsman
Hello,

I am interested in potentially purchasing a Prairie 29 Trawler.
I am limited to a 30' in my current harbor and because of the Prairie 29's beam, it seems it could be a good fit.

One concern I have though, is how it handles seas over 3'.

It sounds like they tend to roll a lot... Does anyone know if they come with bilge keels? Or would these need to be installed?
Also, does anyone have any bilge keel experience? Do they make much of a difference?

Thank you in advance,

Pete

Last edited:
Welcome! There are some 29 owners on here, maybe they'll chime in. Mine is the 36' Prairie. I bought mine for the same reason as you; I wanted to maximize how much boat I could squeeze into my slip.

Both the 29 and 36 are heavy, beamy, shoal-draft boats with a smallish keel (compared to say, a sailboat or even a lobster boat) and soft chines. Yes, they can get a roll going in the right conditions.

Mine handles pretty well in seas for its size. It's a drier and more stable ride than many larger boats I've run. You do want to avoid beam seas whenever possible though.

As for bilge keels, I've never seen it done on a Prairie (or Atlantic, same mold.) Given the "trawler" lines, you might be better off with paravanes ("birds.")

CaptTom,
Thank you for your kind response.
For its size and price it seems like it might be the best fit for my family and I. And yes I hope some prairie 29 owners will chime in.
I will definitely look into the other option that you mentioned, Thank you for the advice.

Is anybody else has some prairie 29 advice or experience I would greatly appreciate it.

Best,

Pete

Prairie

My friend John loves his Prairie and he travels extensively along the gulf coast where there is no ICW.

Thank you, geoleo. Sounds like a great boat. I hope my family and I can make it work...

Just to make another point: I don't think you're going to find a boat in the sub-30' range that offers as much interior space and as good sea-keeping ability. You mention a family. That interior space thing is going to be the sticking point. More space and you're into a towering, unstable superstructure. More sea-kindly and you're into a less spacious hull form and low overhead. The Prairie strikes about the best compromise you're going to find.

Keep us posted!

petemait;
I have not had my Prairie 29 out and about enough to answer your questions.

But I do know that these little vessels go into the Bahamas, and one even went from Fl to Belize and Guatemala. So if there is a lot of movement in seas; the owners seem to overcome it or power through it.

The do the Loop, they go wherever one desires and are solid, strong and tight.

As stated, the interior is more room than you think. I used to live on a Marine Trader 40; but the room I have now is more compact but seems roomier.

She is an easy vessel to control, maneuver and not worry about.

Ask more questions and many here will chime in.

Tim

Tim,
Somehow i missed your reply.... Sorry about that and thank you! We have a couple moving parts but i am really hoping things work out and we can get a Prairie 29.
We did look at one and couldn't believe how roomy it was. I could see enjoying that boat for years to come.
Does your prairie have bilge keels? I'm glad to hear how seaworthy these boats seem to be!
Are the couches/seats in the main interior big enough to sleep on?
Thanks again,
Pete

petemait;
I have not had my Prairie 29 out and about enough to answer your questions.

But I do know that these little vessels go into the Bahamas, and one even went from Fl to Belize and Guatemala. So if there is a lot of movement in seas; the owners seem to overcome it or power through it.

The do the Loop, they go wherever one desires and are solid, strong and tight.

As stated, the interior is more room than you think. I used to live on a Marine Trader 40; but the room I have now is more compact but seems roomier.

She is an easy vessel to control, maneuver and not worry about.

Ask more questions and many here will chime in.

Tim

Really?? How did a 30 foot boat carry enough fuel to make that trip??

South of Heaven.
I do not know about fuel. I was talking to a broker in Rio Dulce about a Prairie there and he told me the vessel had come over from FL. So it is possible.
I assume extra fuel bladders.
But I am not sure I would take such a light boat across to Yucatan from FL and with only one engine.

It might be possible, but anxiety would be very high.

Petemait
I do not have bilge keels. But former owners show pics of 4 hefty adults on the upper helm while underway.
I have had two adults at the upper helm and all was steady.

Each 29 seems configured differently depending on what various owners have built. I have a nice settee that i can stretch out on (I am 6'2") and feel comfortable to nap.

Ask more....many here will have things to say.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom