Old 02-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #1

City: Tsawwassen
Vessel Name: Chester
Vessel Model: Prairie/29
Prairie 29 Swap

A sailing buddy and myself are negotiating the possibility of swapping his sailboat (in the Gulf Islands, BC) with the owner of the same make of boat in the Mediterranean. Or at the very least, chartering it for a week or two. My Prairie 29 is moored just across the border in Point Roberts, WA - we have easy access to Puget Sound and the San Juans in WA state, and the Gulf Islands in BC. The previous owner of my boat once took it to AK. But I keep reading about these wonderful cruises in and around Florida. What are the chances of doing a boat swap for a week or two? People do it with houses all the time. Good idea? Dumb idea?

David

English Bluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Bluff View Post
A sailing buddy and myself are negotiating the possibility of swapping his sailboat (in the Gulf Islands, BC) with the owner of the same make of boat in the Mediterranean. Or at the very least, chartering it for a week or two. My Prairie 29 is moored just across the border in Point Roberts, WA - we have easy access to Puget Sound and the San Juans in WA state, and the Gulf Islands in BC. The previous owner of my boat once took it to AK. But I keep reading about these wonderful cruises in and around Florida. What are the chances of doing a boat swap for a week or two? People do it with houses all the time. Good idea? Dumb idea? David
IMO dumb idea.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Los Angeles
Vessel Name: Fire Escape
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3888
Personally I think this is a great idea! How many times have I thought of cruising the Bahamas or other interesting place. However, this very topic was discussed in another forum recently where most of the posters cited all kinds of insurance reasons why not it shouldn't be done. There was also some speculation that if one charged or rented their vessel USCG rules and regs also applied.
Jim Gandee is offline   Reply With Quote