Old 05-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #41
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Marin:
Quick question. When is your latest book "How to influence People and Make Friends" coming out?
The project has changed. The working title is now "How to Piss People Off so They Stay the Hell Out of Your Life with no Consequences to You Whatsoever."

I'm way too busy to write it so the project is being handled by my publisher. It's an easy one, though. It's just a compilation of specific posts to this forum with some editing and transitions to make it all flow together and to make it relevant to non-boating readers, too.

Not sure when it's coming out, though, because I keep adding new material. Amazon's been on my ass because they want to put it in their Kindle bookstore but they'll just have to wait until it's ready.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #42

City: Northern California
Reuben's main salon is too nice for me, I'm a salty old mariner. For me a aluminum unpainted hull is just fine, strong, and no painting needed. I have had light tan leather seats in a lot of my cars, and that is a favorite color and texture for me. Love leather, how it feels against the skin. Most here have seen Steve Dashew's FPB series (do you know what FPB stands for? I do, straight from Steve)? I like this, and it is a mono..........
Old 05-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #43
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Reuben's main salon is too nice for me, I'm a salty old mariner. For me a aluminum unpainted hull is just fine, strong, and no painting needed. I have had light tan leather seats in a lot of my cars, and that is a favorite color and texture for me. Love leather, how it feels against the skin. Most here have seen Steve Dashew's FPB series (do you know what FPB stands for? I do, straight from Steve)? I like this, and it is a mono..........
One look at the Dashew videos, reading Dashew's books and web site, a visit to NZ to talk to the builders or to be on an FPB in rough weather is enough to convince me why I would never consider a cat. For the interested, pull up the pilot boat YOUTUBE videos from Scotland and the North Sea to get a feeling as to a pilot boat's near invincibility on the water. Never ever would you see a cat put to these tests and survive.

Selene's Cat is pushing about $2M
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #44

City: near Alicante
Dashew's boats are out of my reach otherwise nothing would come close.
Erik C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik C View Post
Same here.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #46
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik C View Post
Mee too. But I can dream.
Attached Thumbnails
dream cat.jpg  
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #47

Healhustler,

Your getting rather creative on your jpeg software.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #48
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Healhustler,

Your getting rather creative on your jpeg software.
You may recognize the boat as "Isabel", a famous restoration of a classic mono-hull woody. The original photo was in front of the Hong Kong skyline, I think. These silly photoshop renderings are a release for me when I've been concentrating too long on something else.
Attached Thumbnails
Isabel.jpg  
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #49
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
"A cruising sailboat capable of 250 nm 24 hour runs just isn't going to look like the nice traditional sailboat that has a good day's run at 1/2 that distance"

Your right.. a cruising sailboat that can do those distances will be a cat!.

Personally.. for a cruising I think a " trawler" a cat has merit .
Contrary to popular belief as sail boats they don't turn turtle very often.. are very comfortable to live on.. have lots of space and deck room ( most often under a grand bimini).

The reason cats are not more prolific is they cost more.

But I also totally get that they are not a mass market boat... any more than a totally electric car.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #50
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
The project has changed. The working title is now "How to Piss People Off so They Stay the Hell Out of Your Life with no Consequences to You Whatsoever."

I'm way too busy to write it so the project is being handled by my publisher. It's an easy one, though. It's just a compilation of specific posts to this forum with some editing and transitions to make it all flow together and to make it relevant to non-boating readers, too.

Not sure when it's coming out, though, because I keep adding new material. Amazon's been on my ass because they want to put it in their Kindle bookstore but they'll just have to wait until it's ready.
Hey Marin, you're not related to Doc Martin are you..? Do you get Doc Martin over there. If not, get it out on DVD. IT's a hoot. You could be brothers...soul mates anyway...
Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
"A cruising sailboat capable of 250 nm 24 hour runs just isn't going to look like the nice traditional sailboat that has a good day's run at 1/2 that distance"

Your right.. a cruising sailboat that can do those distances will be a cat!.

HOLLYWOOD
A few cats can make that kind of 24 hour run, more tris can pull it off though, and all of Dashew's Sundeer and Deerfoot line which are long and lean monos. A good friend has a Sundeer 64, Nick aboard S/V Jedi is currently at Shelter Bay Marina in Panama, here is his S/V Jedi.

And laid back Nick.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #52
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Do you get Doc Martin over there...
Yes, we've seen all the Doc Martin episodes. Interesting role for Martin Clunes, who is a terrific comedian. The first time I saw him was in "Men Behaving Badly," the British original, not the fairly pathetic American knock-off.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #53
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Yes, we've seen all the Doc Martin episodes. Interesting role for Martin Clunes, who is a terrific comedian. The first time I saw him was in "Men Behaving Badly," the British original, not the fairly pathetic American knock-off.
I believe they are filming series 6 even as we speak, so to speak...

I get a kick out of of it because apart from the great acting, and lovely countryside port, etc, being a Doc myself I find it sort of cathartic that he often says or does what I would love to say or do sometimes, (just sometimes...you know what I mean), but if you did it here, you'd end up on the receiving end of a complaint to the the Health Rights Commission.

He actually starred in another made for TV movie which was particularly good which featured NZ and some interesting takes on Maori culture, where he played the role of a museum official, sent out by a prestigious London museum to try and placate a Maori Village, who wanted the smoked head of a long dead chief back. He falls for one of the Maori maidens he encounters, and also finds out he was being made a sort of patsy, because they never intended to return it anyway, so he goes back and steals it and takes it back in spite of that. It is really funny, but gives quite a good insight into the native culture at the same time. Unfortunately I can't find it on DVD, but it is worth a look. No, stop press...found it, called The Man Who Lost His Head...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0995856/

A bit like Whale Rider in that respect. As an aside, I grew up often fishing off the very beach where Whale Rider was shot. We went back there in 2008...nothing has changed. I always wondered what the story was behind the carving of a human figure riding a whale atop the Marae. It was a real legend of that tribe. It was not made up to fit the story.

Sorry, thread hijack over...guilty as charged...as a moderator I'll slap my own wrist.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #54
FF
Guru

Contrary to popular belief as sail boats they don't (cats) turn turtle very often..

Sure , BUT 1 big wave and the boat is as stable inverted as right side up.

Cats like most boats are sold on the interior space , and stability dockside, and in smooth water.

Performance could be "better" than a monohull , but seldom is.

If the hulls are over about 6-1 LB on the waterline , in theory the boat will be easier to push at higher speeds.

With even a 50% advantage (not possible) few cruisers want to run 15-20K at 1 GPH., The semi plaining boat might get to 12K with the same fuel burn .

At lower speeds the extra wetted surface of the long hulls causes more drag at usual trawler speeds 6K-8K.

Sort of a loose, loose , unless you are in love with the interior layout and volume.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #55

City: Palmetto Bay
Vessel Name: Sunshine
Vessel Model: Island Pilot DSe 12m Hybrid
FF:" With even a 50% advantage (not possible) few cruisers want to run 15-20K at 1 GPH., The semi plaining boat might get to 12K with the same fuel burn ."

Do you intend to say MPG?

A light cat or Tri may stay afloat for days upside down. Many monohull a that get turned onto their beam ends could founder and sink.

I tend to agree with much that has been said here. I like traditional-looking boats. I also like those were form had triumphed over function. And I agree that your darling (boat or spouse) should look good to you upon approach.

Most importantly is the fit. To your personality. Your lifestyle. Your budget. Your "real" use (vs. "imagined"). It she fits, then you'll use and enjoy her. If not, she'll collect barnacles and rust.

I have known boaters who buy a Nordhavn for the Great Loop. Kinda like having a HumVee for negotiating I 95. But it was perfect for them.

On long and lean - Francis Herreshoff designed Marco Polo, a log lean schooner. Faster that a shorter boat of the same displacement but with sails small enough for a couple to handle. I do not know of a long lean design that has enough added wet surface to make a difference
Old 05-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtrane View Post
I have known boaters who buy a Nordhavn for the Great Loop. Kinda like having a HumVee for negotiating I 95. But it was perfect for them.
That's a good one I'll have to remember. I also have friends with a Nordhavn 43', and they with their daughter did the Great Loop but also Florida, The Keys, Bahamas, Caribbean, transited the Canal, Central America and currently in the Sea of Cortez. Here is their blog Three@Sea

It has been fun watching Alya grow up during their travels. At 11 she started a video series called "From the Pilothouse". A cable network is considering producing a series on them, here is the sizzle reel.

The age progression, at 12

Nice to see a young girl not afraid of heavy machinery while it is running.

At 16 and almost jumping ship to sailboats
Old 05-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #57
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Perhaps we should poll the membership concerned with the possibility of a cat turning turtle.

Exactly how many posters on this forum has been aboard a boat that has rolled completely over?

Not that "almost felt like it might" or "could have". Actually rolled your boat. My guess is none to two max. Most wont ever be out in conditions approaching that dangerous.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #58

Never been there Craig, and I used to push a Cal 40 hard.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #59
FF
Guru

Do you intend to say MPG?

Yes

"Tis many a slip tween the cup and the lip"

The Marco Polo was designed (at least according to Herrishoff from his book) as a motor sailor.

The concept was a boat that could run 10K with motor or sails or usually both.

I had the pleasure of going aboard a long time ago and aklthough the boat was interesting it suffered from When it was built.

Engines ,were HEAVY and as an ocean going boat the scantlings , frames and the rest of the construction was first rate but HEAVY.

The fwd cabin or aft was only accessible thru the cockpit , hardly a delight .

A modern version probably would never sell, tho the performance could be vastly improved.

The Deerfoot 64 shows the problem, marine motorists today do not want to be down in the hull, they want to be up looking out thru a glass wall at the view.

At only $3+ million a pop the 64 is beyond most ocean voyagers ability.

I am not convinced a similar boat , sans the fancy woodwork , and many of the fun stuff, flopper stoppers at $2K rather than a $50K hydraulic fins , the boat could not be built for way less . perhaps 1/6 to 1/10 .

But KISS would have to RULE!!!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #60
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Exactly how many posters on this forum has been aboard a boat that has rolled completely over?
Uhhmmm...yes...at least 10 or 12 times.

Mainly sailing dinghies and Hobie cats though. Nothing bigger than 20 ft.
On small sailing vessels its all part of the fun.
Actually - its part of basic dinghy sailing lessons, - a mandatory capsize.

Hmmm.... adding kayaks and canoes I could be getting close to triple digits. ( It took me many tries to learn an Eskimo roll)

I'm guessing you meant power boats though. Still at zero there.
( if you don't count the one I bailed out of before capsizing)
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote