Old 05-06-2013, 01:52 AM   #81

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Dutchman meu amigo, eu costumava trabalhar no Brasil. Offshore oil exploration and drilling for Petrobras.
My core bussiness is Seismic Exploration as a CEO.

As a native "Dutch" speaking person, i prefere to keep it in English out here. Hear enough Portogees the whole day.

My 2 Centavos

123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #82

City: Northern California
Fair enough. Being a merchant mariner I've worked with a lot of Dutch deckofficers. One of my former Dutch colleagues stood up in a Dutch court about 3 years ago to testify on behalf of Laura Dekker's seamanship when the Dutch government wasn't allowing her to depart on her solo circumnavigation at the age of 13. She had to get a bigger boat and was 14 when allowed to sail off.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #83
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
This thread is certainly veering in interesting directions.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #84
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Bite your tongue. The nose and grill only.

On left, "store bought", on right "roll your own".

A final note since my plate is readable you can do a CA DMV search and find out it is registered as a 1923 Ford Model T, as the hand built frame started with 2 1/2" of an original frame with the original VIN.
What's that? No Prius or Smart Car?
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #85
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer;153976 I then mounted the engine and transmission so low in the frame rails that I had to fabricate an oil pan to give me enough ground clearance.[URL="http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/deckofficer/media/Day%20tripping/DSC013201014x760.jpg.html"
[/URL]
Sounds to me like a dry sump would have been the way to go.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #86

City: Northern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
What's that? No Prius or Smart Car?
I do have an electric Smart car and an electric Cushman stakebed truck.

BobH, a dry sump would have been the way to go if I had room for the tank.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #87

City: Palmetto Bay
Vessel Name: Sunshine
Vessel Model: Island Pilot DSe 12m Hybrid
Tri-Hull Power Cruiser

Reiziger - any more info on that tri-hull, "Escape?" I like the idea of a main center hull with outboard amas for stability. The main advantage over a cat is one set of machinery to drive the boat keeping costs down - the exception being the Aspen. Anything you can share on "Escape" will be appreciated.

Here's a photo of a tri-hull DSe we designed several years ago - I am currently thinking this is a good way to go for an energy-efficient cruiser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPRQ_070823.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	19063  
Old 05-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #88
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I believe the trimarans are burdened w less extra weight of structure necessary to hold the hulls together. This is one of the most overwhelming disadvantages of multi-hulls in my opinion.

The "Escape" probably would have her prop out of the water often in rough stuff.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #89
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I believe the trimarans are burdened w less extra weight of structure necessary to hold the hulls together. This is one of the most overwhelming disadvantages of multi-hulls in my opinion.

The "Escape" probably would have her prop out of the water often in rough stuff.
This subject has, of course been discussed in other threads. That said, Palmer Johnson has the best design approach that I've seen thus far...very small outrigger sponsons aft with cabin structure built out over them. No reason it wouldn't scale down.

http://www.palmerjohnson.com/#!ss-highlights/c235x

Name:	PJ48SS.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	19065
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #90
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
This subject thread got a little hi-jacked off of boat subjects, so I started a new one on Powercat Trawlers

Powercat Trawlers
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:33 PM   #91

City: Wherever Smartini is
Vessel Name: Smartini
Vessel Model: 2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
Quote:
OK then, this is how I see it. If your a weekend warrior, only getting on the water 10 weekends a year for an overnight cruise, then your in a position to sacrifice functionality for whatever form is pleasing for you. If you plan to live aboard and cruise far and wide, the efficiency and functionality would (or should) trump form, at least in my book. If I'm cruising full time, I want my Swiss Army knife type of boat, and the hell with what others think of its looks, just like my hot rod, I don't care.
Amen, Brother Bob! (If you find the Swiss Army knife liveaboard, let me know, please - we're looking for it, too. And no, I don't really care very much what it looks like.)
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #92
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
...(If you find the Swiss Army knife liveaboard, let me know, please - we're looking for it, too. And no, I don't really care very much what it looks like.)
Maybe i don't understand your definition of 'swiss army knife liveaboard', but wouldn't this very first boat on this other forum meet that definition?
Powercat Trawlers

...and its right down in Florida near you
Old 05-02-2015, 07:17 AM   #93
FF
Guru

extra weight of structure necessary to hold the hulls together. This is one of the most overwhelming disadvantages of multi-hulls in my opinion.

A good light weight beam is not very hard to produce , even in a 3rd world yard.

The hassle I see is the advantage of a multihull is slightly higher speeds at a normal fuel burn.

When operated as a displacement cruiser at normal trawler crawler speeds , there are mostly disadvantages.

More wetted surface = higher fuel bill,

light weight construction = more dock hassles to keep from puncturing,

very rapid motion in beam seas,

cats will need twin engines , double the maint,

and of course Cats can CAPSIZE , should one venture out in the big stuff.

For a lakes and bays Roomeran the multis do quite well, , as ocean cruisers only the Tri configuration would seem to make sense.

As an owner of a Headly Nichol 45ft Voyager , cold molded in British Honduras in 1966 , I have many ocean miles in tris.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #94
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
This is probably a stupid question, but will a trimaran not capsize?
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #95
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Yes Cats can and do capsize suddenly in big waves when tripping over the downhill hull. But with a Cat's speed and good weather data avoiding these conditions is much easier than in a slow monohull or sailboat. Or so say the serious blue water Cat owners we know.

Before he got tired of us, Reuben Trane was a frequent visitor to TF. For the serious minded, consulting with him about Cats and power sources would be a fun thing to do.

Best of all, Cats are twins!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:08 AM   #96
FF
Guru

"This is probably a stupid question, but will a trimaran not capsize?"

In a large or steep enough wave a conventional boat can be rolled over 360 .

The USCG purchases boats that can survive this exercise.

A steep enough large wave could also flip a Tri , but monster waves are not encountered in the normal cruising times of power yachts.

Waves of 20-30 ft can be found in many storms , the usual cat beam.

Notice most chose the summer to run across the pond , not Feb and most take a low wind route (Ocean Passages for the World) .

To flip a cat is easier by far as one hull has 50% of the displacement , in a tri an ama has far less , so the boat will rise rather than flip.

In an 80 ft monster wave , the lower volume of the ama is easier to flood to return to upright .
Old 05-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #97
Guru

Capsize

Perhaps a litle research is in order here. Lock Crowther did some rather extensive tank testing of the capsize question with multihulls a number of years ago at the Southampton Univ wave tank. I think the results will surprise many.

http://cdn.cruisersforum.com/forums/...8&d=1164328644

Multihull Capsize Prevention <split> - Page 12 - Boat Design Forums

Can't seem to find the exact posting I was looking for, but here is one I made

Quote:
It's a shame we could not get ahold of that video Derek Kelsall mentioned in his posting, excerpt... "However, imagining lying ahull to those waves did not fit the picture. A couple of clients have described being in a situation where they expected to capsize from the size of the wave and the angle of heel, but then suddenly found the cat was back on its feet again. One of these clients decribed the waves passing while lying ahull and of the most disturbing part being the fall of the windward hull into the trough as the wave passed. The video demonstrated the situation as I understand it. The tank test was done in Southampton comparing a Lock Crowther catamaran ferry with a comparable mono, in large breaking waves and high wind, with the models lying ahull. As the wave hit the cat, which was still in the water, the windward hull was thrown up into the air, looking like an immediate capsize, but before the angle of heel had gone to 30 - 40 degrees, the wave had passed to the lee hull, lifting it just as rapidly to bring the cat level and then fall as the wave passed. The cat never capsized. The mono rolled every time. This situation actually applies whatever the orientation of the catamaran to the waves.
Monohull verses Multihull powersailers / motorsailers [Archive] - Boat Design Forums

Quote:
Note: reference source, Lock Crowther Designs

"This work (tank testing at Southampton Univ) has indicated that the well designed catamaran is remarkably safe in breaking waves up to considerable height, even when beam on, we were unable to capsize a power catamaran yacht in the largest wave which could be generated. This corresponded to a 52' wave for a catamaran of 40' beam. Scaling this down to a typical 24' beam cruising cat means she should be O.K. in a 31' breaking beam sea. An equivalent size mono-hull power boat was easily capsized by a 25' breaking sea, and in tests with conventional yachts after the Fastnet disaster, it was found that a 40' mono-hull yacht could capsized in a 12' breaking sea"
Multihulls in 70' Waves Multihulls and 70' waves [Archive] - Boat Design Forums
Old 05-03-2015, 11:49 AM   #98
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
In the mid 80's I spent several days on a 70' steel trawler cat named Sea Sport. We were diving off the coast of Australia near Townsville. The weather was very rough as we were on the edge of a typhoon. The reef is 95 miles off shore so there is plenty of ocean to built waves between Townsville and the reef. We dove in conditions that would not have been possible to do from a monohull . Wave heights were in the mid 20's, The lack of roll and stable platform provided by the cat was very impressive. The downside was the noise and drumming of the tunnel. We were able to walk about , carry dive gear, depart and board in these conditions. The only downside to a cat is finding a place to dock it.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:17 AM   #99
FF
Guru

"40' mono-hull yacht could capsized in a 12' breaking sea""

One hassle is the deck and above deck houses must be able to take the breaking sea.

Very expensive with light weight construction is required.

Even conventional (not lightweight construction ) boats built for ocean service cost $300% or so more than their inshore look a likes.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #100
Guru

I sometimes go back to this photo reference,...in a sea that is not that big,....vessel lost its stabilization system
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trawler rolling, post size.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	39922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trawler rolling 2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	39923