Old 05-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #61
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post

I'm guessing you meant power boats though. Still at zero there.
( if you don't count the one I bailed out of before capsizing)

Sailboats too but the subject of this thread is cats with cruising intentions. A 28 cat has been mentioned as a subject boat so how about cruising style boats 25 feet and above?

Let's also eliminate coast guard or any other kind of training in specially prepared boats. We are talking about cruisers of a size we forum members would own and use.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #62
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Seriously now - I think cats get a bad rap just becouse of the non-traditional looks. We look for excuses to knock them. I've heard "If they turtle they stay that way" so many times.
In a wild storm, I don't think many of our boats would survive a roll even if they righted themselves. With so much glass to be knocked out, the boat would be flooded, with a good chance of the engine failing.
A cat will capsize if the seas are big enough, at least in an upside down Cat, it's likely to remain afloat for some time.

I spent a few weeks cruising on a buddy's Lagoon 44 catamaran, and I loved the layout, the speed, the seaworthiness, even though I still think it is butt ugly.
I wouldn't buy a cat, not for any practical reasons, but probably because I played with toy tugboats as a toddler.

AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #63
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post

This is a bit like deja vu for me in the hot rod circles. I declared on those forums that I wanted what I call the Swiss Army knife of hot rods. A car that could corner better than a Corvette, have straight line acceleration that exceeds super car status, give a comfortable ride with the engine having impeccable street manners (no snarling, barking, cammed up, knuckle dragging engine) with a nice idle, and mid 20's mpg.

The results of thinking outside the box produced a hot rod that does in fact do it all. High 10 second 1/4 mile, corners like a Lotus Super 7, a sweet purring engine and cushy ride, and on trips I broke 30 mpg. And I do take long trips.

So, I'm all for navel designers that think outside the box and support their efforts and don't care about the "image", I want my Swiss Army knife of the maritime flavor now.

This is the ride described above, and be rest assured I don't care what people think of how it looks, it does what I wanted.

Looks like the kit car sold by Speedway Motors.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #64

City: Northern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
Bite your tongue. The nose and grill only.

On left, "store bought", on right "roll your own".

A final note since my plate is readable you can do a CA DMV search and find out it is registered as a 1923 Ford Model T, as the hand built frame started with 2 1/2" of an original frame with the original VIN.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #65

Quote:
People with some knowledge of the breed are the ones I have the most fun with at car shows. I'll be sitting with a group of other owners as the spectators comment on our rides, not knowing who owns which ride. The most common of these comments are "must be powered by a 2.3 L Pinto four banger". They don't notice the hood and engine side covers are aluminum, not steel, and they miss the bulge that was massaged into both side panels to allow clearance for the Ram's Horn exhaust manifold. I then ask if they would like to see what was done to that Pinto 4 banger and lift and lock my hinged hood to reveal this.........

526 hp @ 5700, 556 lb/ft @ 4400, a tad bit more than I could get out of a Pinto engine. And this is a 1790 lb ride with a 5 speed stick.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #66

Quote:
Kit car.
The track nose and grill insert and the glass tub were purchased, the side covers, hood, and rear deck lid fabricated from aluminum sheet, the frame built and then where it is exposed was covered with aluminum sheets. The rear end is from a Jag sedan with inboard disc brakes, the fuel tank also hand fabricated. At what point is it a kit car? If it was it would be registered as such and the year of build.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #67

skidgear, why did you pull your post that I quoted above?

Geez, I wish they would give better instructions on this "kit car".

Old 05-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #68

Sorry for the massive thread drift. I did say "....and be rest assured I don't care what people think of how it looks, it does what I wanted." but skidgear found the right buttons to push. skidgear, how about sharing one of your automotive creations?

Back to your regular scheduled broadcasting. Powercat trawlers vs traditional Trawlers
Old 05-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #69
Guru

I deleted the post within several minutes as I hoped to preclude having the trawler site flooded with yet another string of car photos.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #70
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
That's what the "Off Topic Forum" is for.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #71

And flood is what I did, sorry about that. But why the "kit car" jab? It was purpose built as a sleeper, knowing folks who see the small nose shell and narrow engine bay panels would assume another 4 cylinder Track-T, with a tiny radiator that could only dissipate the heat produced by a low hp engine. The radiator is a 3 core married to a 2 core by sharing the same tanks. Even with that surface area to the air, did you notice the fabricated aluminum fan shroud to pull as much air as possible through it? Even went to the trouble to route exhaust underneath so as to keep the sleeper image going.

All this to fool know-it-all's like skidgear at the car shows. Looks like I've hooked another one.

BTW, I made only one post (#30) that related to people that think outside the box in maritime designs and used my car as outside the box example, and all the static I took on the automotive forums until I finished it. Never brought it up again, but skidgear did, twice, and I set the record straight.

When you design and build a boat you will have a certain passion in defending it. I can identify to a small degree what Reuben must be feeling when some of you have dissed his build. When you buy a boat and disrespect a boat from another builder, that is just petty. Build it and then you have good reasons to defend it.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #72
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
It was purpose built as a sleeper, ... Even went to the trouble to route exhaust underneath so as to keep the sleeper image going.

All this to fool know-it-all's ... Looks like I've hooked another one.
Hmmmm, so all that effort and money just to "fool" people you don't even know? Isn't that kind of, well, odd?

It seems like if you did it to improve your skills or experiment, or to obtain something that wasn't available any other way it would be kind of cool but as an exercise in deception of strangers ... now that is really outside any box most folks want to be in.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #73

RickB,

It is a personal creation, that's all. My apologizes to the OP of the thread (TonyL), but lets get real. When this forum is lucky enough to have Reuben Trane (rjtrane) as a member who designs and builds boats with a lot of creative thought and thousands of hours of research, and members take uninformed shots at his boats, that is what winds my spring. I know if pleasure boating wasn't so damn conservative, designs like Reuben's would be allowing us to enter the 21st century of boating, but instead we have debates over how the bridge windows should slant.

Instead of drifting the thread, I started one here.. Solar boating
Old 05-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #74
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Now, this is one cool cat.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #75
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:48 AM   #76
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
I know if pleasure boating wasn't so damn conservative, designs like Reuben's would be allowing us to enter the 21st century of boating,
Some of us boating in the PNW (or say North of San Francisco) fail to see the logic of electric/solar powered boats in our realm because of - INSUFFICIENT SUN !! Not to mention we enjoy lugging along tons of stuff.

No doubt R Trane is a very bright guy with some serious thoughts, we've never questioned that. Pleasure boating conservative, hah - if we were conservative we'd be investing in munis.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #77
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Multi hull construction (especially power cats) seems to be far more accepted internationally than it is in the USA. I wonder sometimes why that is?

Anecdotal of course, international fuel costs have traditionally been higher than the USA... Anyone suspect a correlation considering how fuel cost as a percentage of total ownership cost is always said to be so minor.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:12 AM   #78

Craig,

I would say that is a probable correlation combined with higher usage of boats. 60+ mpg diesel cars have always had a strong market everyplace other than the US.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:40 AM   #79

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
I personaly don't like cats and tri's;

Space they have, a friend of me builded this GRP Tri years agoo in Bulgaria. In the center hull you can park at least 6 kit cars..............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ESCAPE3.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	19037  
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #80

Dutchman meu amigo, eu costumava trabalhar no Brasil. Offshore oil exploration and drilling for Petrobras.