Old 10-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #41
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Hmmm. Such catastrophic hull failure is probably no more frequent in the design of multi-hulls than it is in monos, but maintaining a balance between the weight sensitivity of multi-hull design and its strength must be a pretty big challenge. I've never had a catamaran, but when researching to do exactly that, interviews with cat owners in the 35-45 ft. area indicated concerns about hull flexing in seas that the boat was capable of running in perhaps, but weren't specifically built for. If I eventually buy a cat, I don't think my attitude toward seas will be any different than the typical mono-hulled coastal cruiser.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #42
FF
Guru

Besides being stable when inverted the biggest problem is the usual attempt to create a roomaran of huge size.

This is fine IF the wing decking between the hulls is high enough not to be constantly slammed in a large seaway .

The constant hammering can test any , even a well built structure , to the point of weakening.

Its one thing to work the bending loads for one hull immersed the other doing little , but the math after the first million blows is iffy , after many millions less than a guess.

The best success is from a decade or two of creating similar boats.

Both South Africa and the Aussies boats seem to do OK.

A high wing deck solves much of the hassle , but does not add to the looks of the boat very much.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:46 AM   #43

City: Brisbane
Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
While we are on the subject.....

This was a 60ft Powercat that I had lusted after for quite some time. Absolutely beautiful boat capable of cruising in the 20s with a 30+ WOT. I know one of the guys on the boat. He said it split right down the middle of the bridegdeck. I never would have expected that result based on what the boat looked like. It was beautiful and "appeared" very well built. This happened about 3 weeks ago....

Coast Guard rescues 12 from Gulf of Mexico after catamaran sinks - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News
How does it sink?

I cant remember seeing one ever having done so, but have seen many images of the complete boat or at least large sections of them washed ashore later on and have read reports where they have been abandoned during catastrophic storms only to be recovered later and even one that was abandoned during a storm with damage and in danger of sinking, but wouldn't so had to be ran down by the rescue ship so as it wasnt a danger to shipping.
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #44
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter View Post
How does it sink?

I cant remember seeing one ever having done so, but have seen many images of the complete boat or at least large sections of them washed ashore later on and have read reports where they have been abandoned during catastrophic storms only to be recovered later and even one that was abandoned during a storm with damage and in danger of sinking, but wouldn't so had to be ran down by the rescue ship so as it wasnt a danger to shipping.

The story of the above abandoned cat was told in the book " Rescue in the Pacific " The folks that owned the cat were a bunch of whack a doodle's that we met in New Zealand. They thought the boat had to be sunk because of something to do with a pacific vortex and aliens... The were kooks.

If you haven't read the book it is a great read about a bunch of boats caught in the storm that became known as the Queens Birthday storm. We had cruised the previous year with a number of boats that got caught on the edge of the storm.. but missed the brunt of it. We sat in a yard in N.Z. with the other cat that was lost without a trace. We were luck to have got out of N.Z. prior to the storm.

The recent failure of the is very interesting... but doesn't do anything to change my mind on the ability of cats ( power or sail ). If we ever go back to the dark side it will be on a cat.

Attached is a pic on a cat I have sailed multiple times and done offshore passages on that were amazing... the stress on our faces from being on a cat is obvious

HOLLYWOOD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BVI DEC 06 060.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	24184  
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #45
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Why would anybody want a cat when they could have a boat?

Seriously there are some cats that I like like that Fisher in post #19 by Daddyo. I had no idea Fisher made a cat. Nice looking boat.

Moorage must be awful w cats. They probably need to anchor out a lot.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #46
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Compromise
Vessel Model: Present 38
Looked at a couple of Fisher cats several years ago. Great layout but they were so torn up inside we had to pass.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Why would anybody want a cat when they could have a boat?
Mostly use a lot less power and fuel for a given speed, more room, dont roll as much if at all in a seaway and not at all in an anchorage , can use glassware ,say no to spilt drinks, shallow draft so easy bottom scrub, there's bound to be more reasons.

Quote:
Moorage must be awful w cats.
What makes you say that?
I read that now america has gone tits up marinas are charging the same price for cats and monos
Quote:
They probably need to anchor out a lot.
And this is a problem why?
I never like that trailer park feeling that marinas impart.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #48
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
...Once somebody told me that the difference between a cat and a mono while sailing in high seas is that in the mono, the soup falls on your feet. In the Cat it falls on your head.
I sailed both in various sea conditions and I never had soup falling either way

The perception that a Cat can nearly fly over the water, is the responsible for the number of accidents with these boats, either motor or sail.
Malcom Tennant, to name one example, has very nice and strong boats, and some are made of alloy. What makes me nervous, are those multihulls made of extremely thin egg shells of high technology composites that promise to ride at high velocity with 2 HP engines... Power of expression.
My latest boat before Rainha Jannota, was a 18' fishing displacement hull Cat. I had 2 x 50 HP outboards and I could put some decent weight in it for a 18'. But two things I had to be aware, there was not a gap between enough and too much weight in the boat. The second thing was when in high seas, the water would fill the void space between the hulls and the boat would be all over the place at 22 knts cruising speed
Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #49
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Parmentar,
I don't really care for cats but meant my post mostly as a joke. I'm not positively disposed to people whining about their boat moving more than their house but even I could like cat stability at times.

In the marinas around here probably less than 5% of moorage is suitable for cats. And along the PNW coast usually the towns and villages are more interesting than the next anchorage. I like to walk the docks in strange places more than just about anything else and there's always interesting people to talk to. Perhaps even girls to look at .. mostly dressed though.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #50
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Parmentar,
I don't really care for cats but meant my post mostly as a joke.
That was the way I read it, but I'm glad that Parmenter responded to the questions as is. Eric, I think if you got aboard a 34 PDQ Powercat, I think you may recognize the qualities similar to the ones you enjoy in the Willard 30. I think the PDQ 34 may be the ultimate efficient cruising machine and I'd love to have one, but I'm just to big and stiff for it. Yes, it hobby-horses, it has a snap-roll and many other cat attitudes, and while it lacks the richness of a teak and holly mono-hull, it's no tighter than a Willard 30 X 2. If I were on my own, I'd probably be OK with it, but with my Admiral and her shoe collection, I'll probably end up with a Great Harbour.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:45 PM   #51
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Compromise
Vessel Model: Present 38
Cats are wonderful once you get used to the wave slap under the bridge deck.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #52
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Domino powercat

I think you naysayers need to go back to the first page of this subject thread and look at a few of the vessels presented there.

Then I would strongly suggest you have a look thru this extensive blog by the owners of Domino, a 20m (65') Tennant powercat that has done a considerable bit long range cruising, including offshore. They are getting ready to do the Pacific now.

DOMINO 20

Name:	Domino postsize.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	24220

Name:	Domino Powercat stern view.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	24221

By the way, I had suggested that a version of this design could be converted into a 'motorsailer' with the addition of my aft-mast rig.

Name:	Domino Aftmast,ps.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	24222
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #53
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Catamarans are not trawlers.....

Old 11-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #54
Guru

Shallow draft !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
On another occassion I did the same with a Louisiane 37 catamaran that drew 19 inches of water with the CB's up and the rudders kicked up.

Come to think of it I took that same Louisiane 37 down along the backside of the outer islands of Cape Hatteras, NC (there were times we were pulling the boat along while walking the shallows....what a great trip that was). I'm sure there are not many boats of that size that have ever made that trip !!

That stretch between Cedar Island and Beaufort was actually where the original inland waterway used to be,...long ago. All silted in now, so no boat traffic,...except us.
Any of you ever managed to cruise the backside of the Hatteras outer islands?
Old 11-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Catamarans are not trawlers.
Why not?

What do you term the PDQ's,....the Lagoon 43's,....the Mainecat 47,.....the Endeavour Trawlercats
Old 11-01-2013, 01:19 AM   #56
Guru

...or this one
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	31, 640.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	24223   Click image for larger version

Name:	52, 640.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	24224  
Old 11-01-2013, 01:40 AM   #57

Song Saigon

Recent sale of yacht, sailboat or yacht
Old 11-01-2013, 01:43 AM   #58

Quote:
Catamarans are not trawlers.....

Monohulled powerboats are not trawlers

Old 11-01-2013, 01:47 AM   #59
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Presumably, catamarans are capable of greatly exceeding hull speed, thus are not recreational trawlers, which are, by definition, slow. What you have/show are dual-hulled express cruisers. No? A "fast trawler" is an oxymoron. (My apologies to any hull-speed, cruising-capable catamarans.)
Old 11-01-2013, 01:56 AM   #60

Quote:
Presumably, catamarans are capable of greatly exceeding hull speed, thus are not recreational trawlers, which are, by definition, slow. What you have/show are dual-hulled express cruisers. No?
No. Several of those vessels are aimed at 8 knot cruise
Can you show me where it is written that a trawler must be slow?
Efficient hull shapes allow them to go faster than an in-efficient monohull, but a trawler they still be.

If you really want to go by definition how do any of the vessels on this forum fit this description?
Quote:
trawl·er
ˈtrôlər/Submit
noun
a fishing boat used for trawling.
Do any of these liveaboard trawlers get used for trawling (fishing)?