Old 03-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #21
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
RE: Power Tools

I keep the following power tools (and a few other important items on board):
Forward most stowage locker, centered under forward stateroom V-berth:
-********* Battery powered Worm-drive saw / Electric drill / Jig saw / Saws all / Flood light with AC charger and two batteries in big plastic box
-********* Good supply of mechanics tools in containers as well as many other incidental tools for mechanics or wood-working or metal work needs, all in tool boxes if small, or separate if large
-********* 1,500 +/- bucks (close as I can guess at it) all types of stainless fasteners in well separated see-through plastic container boxes, bins, and even a good sized fishing tackle box
-********* Good set of electric tools, wires, and fasteners
Starboard stowage locker, under forward stateroom V-berth:
-********* Bulk Fluids for twin 350 cid 255 hp Mercruisers and 50 hp Johnson o/b on tow behind, as well as distilled battery water etc...
-********* Fluid change/add equipment
-********* Clean towel/rags and bilge-floor diaper-pads
Port stowage locker, under forward stateroom V-berth:
-********* All forms, shapes and sizes of line, chain and their attachments
-********* Jumper cables, AC flood lights, extension cords, knee pads, and other useable work items; as well as a dock-side foldable set of two steps for use on cruises
Engine compartment:
-********* General maintenance fluids and applicators, strap-on head lamp, roll of commercial grade paper towels, crank-powered flash/flood light...

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:23 AM   #22
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Power Tools

Far too much stuff.

I am a sucker for all those bargin bins at the local hardware store, I come across tools and fittings on the boat that I have bought and stowed, only to wonder what the hell does that tool do.

Sometimes I find I have two or more of the same mystery tool. So not only have I forgotten what I bought the tool for I have forgotten that I had even bought the thing in the first place. If ever i find I have three of the same tools on board , it may be time to see the doc for some of those little red pills.

-- Edited by Andy G on Wednesday 14th of March 2012 12:24:46 AM

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

10x12 plastic*tarp (may switch to canvas when I find one I like)*with 20 feet or so lines attached to the grommets.* Its*to lower and position over the side of a larger hole or crack*(for the holes bigger than a nerf football).

Assorted sizes of*1/4 inch plywood up to 2x2 feet with drill driver and drywall screws...plus assorted strips of 2x2 inch foam rubber as gasket material.

You can forget all that stuff if you have a great dingy and good insurance
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #24
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Quote:
Andy G wrote:
Far too much stuff.

Sometimes I find I have two or more of the same mystery tool. So not only have I forgotten what I bought the tool for I have forgotten that I had even bought the thing in the first place. If ever i find I have three of the same tools on board , it may be time to see the doc for some of those little red pills.

Guilty! * I'm always running across tools and devices I bought cuz I thought I'd need it. *Not only did I forget about it, but I've often wished I had it long before I discovered it again, making the re-discovery even better than when I found it in the store, cuz this time, I don't even have to pay for it!
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #25
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

We probable have more mechanical and wood tools than most. *We have a small air compressor, and a small portable welder.* Ive used the air compress mainly to pump up toy/things.* The Welder I bought to repair the middle diesel tank as the welder, did not have a small poratble machine and the cable where to short. *I even have a small drill press, ta le saw and mitter saw, that I can set up on the stern deck.* When we remodles the boat the back enclosed deck was a work area/shop.* Now its my wife sawing/quilting area.*

I have tools in three locations the engine room with its own bench, the salon roof storage box, and the helm.* However, to day I bought a new crowbar, 5 bucks, as I did not want to bother finding the ones that are on the boat.* So you name it I probable have it, someplace if I can find it?

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote