Old 07-04-2018, 06:00 PM   #61
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
And access into the cabin is where?
And how do you access the roof?
Big hole in roof letting water into that now enclosed aft stateroom?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #62
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Access to FB is same as any enclosed sundeck through hatch. Through access to stateroom is same as original boat, through hulls and step up. Access from lower helm to side deck would need to be at first window area behind original (third from front) just behind helm and ajacent settee, still leaving much more depth for island type berth. The words “concept” and “photoshop” indicate imcomplete thinking on the level I thought the OP was interested in throwing around. The concept is already working in the Lagoon 43-44, but at over 22 ft wide, expensive slips. Take a look at the raised helm on the 34 PDQ. Weight and buoyancy matched well, I think the concept has merit.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #63
Guru

City: Boston Area
I will probably never be a new boat buyer. but the idea seems like a good one. Even if you have all your ducks in a row, there is a large component of luck involved.

If you had the greatest design in the world but incorporated in 2006, you were probably doomed from the start.

You need the right design, the right economy, the right business partners, the right marketing, and a lot of luck.

I have always wondered about the start of radio. Who would invest money in radio stations, if people didn't own radios.....and who would invest in a radio manufacturing plant, if there were no radio stations.....

Someone has to just defy logic and go for it. Steve Jobs said something like people don't know what they want until we show it to them.

Crowd source funding is changing the way things go from inception to creation.

If you get serious though.....get a TV crew on board early......if the boat company doesn't make it, the reality TV show might.

Its a Brave New World.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #64
Guru

Here ya go, Simi. Just for you.
Attached Thumbnails
PDQ34_Power_Catamaran mod w side door.jpg  

Old 07-04-2018, 09:18 PM   #65
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
But the gunwhale is the side deck height.
The cabin side is about 3 ft high.
Great door for midgets but not much good for anyone else

If you lower the side deck to full door height, so inline with the bridge deck panel and so the existing gunwhale line is now a bulwark, you restrict headroom in the hulls to 3 ft.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:09 PM   #66
Guru

Simi: Compare with previous pictires. I raised FB and sundeck about 18”, made windows taller also. Door would need to be cut back just like the door on the original boat to facilitate step down to helm level. Appreciate your critique, BTW. Makes me think deeper.

Interesting to imagine how everything could be worked out. I’ve driven and stayed aboard a 34 in the past when looking to buy one. I’m working from memory.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:44 AM   #67
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg86 View Post
The fact you already rule something out before even looking at it and think R&D will cost $100 million already says something.

I never said it was easy. You like staying in your comfort zone? That's cool. Don't try and fault me because I'm looking to take a chance.

I don’t think anyone is necessarily trying to fault you. You asked about market viability, and folks are thinking about that AND the viability of the concept. It certainly isn’t out of spite, but more out of trying to keep an acquaintance from making an expensive mistake. Heck, if you didn’t want opinions you wouldn’t have asked TF. ;-)

I’m all for the idea of folks trying out novel ideas. It is hard for me to envision the boat you are thinking of but I’d love to see one built. I’m likely never going to do the Loop (unfortunately) but I have to admit that the speed of a cat would be appealing at times.
So I’m not in that market segment you envision.

If you have the excess money, time, and energy to do it, go for it. I’d love to see the finished product.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:46 AM   #68
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

If you have the excess money, time, and energy to do it, go for it. .
The key word you used was "excess". Don't put your financial, mental or physical health at risk with a start up business. If it's money you can afford to lose and doesn't put your health at risk, then do it, consider it a hobby unless or until the time it takes shape as a viable business.

I don't use the "hobby" word disparagingly either. Our current businesses were started as a hobby. It was something for me to do and us to do together. We were not dependent on ever getting any of the money back and hoped after buying them they'd just break even. Fortunately, they did better than anticipated.

I suggest to hope for the best case scenario and strive for it, but always have a plan for the worst case. Know at what point or what trigger you'll say "enough" and refuse to invest more money, time or energy.

If one can maintain the "hobby" thought then it's not nearly as stressful. It's then what one does for pleasure as opposed to golf or mountain climbing or anything else.

Also approach in stages. In this case, the first stage is simply to design and build one boat. If that one boat is then marketable at a profit, you have the genesis of a business. If not, you have a nice boat that you created to either use or sell.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #69

City: Carrollton, Va
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Though some tweaks would be needed, I like how that looks. I've been researching a few things, things not talked about here, that would be really innovative and would help market it.

Again

This isn't something that will happen in the near future, just looking at concepts.
SaltyDawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:40 PM   #70
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Dare to Dream
Old 07-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #71
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg86 View Post
The fact you already rule something out before even looking at it and think R&D will cost $100 million already says something.

I never said it was easy. You like staying in your comfort zone? That's cool. Don't try and fault me because I'm looking to take a chance.
Dawg,
Usually when yo respond to somebody you call them out by name like the above so we all know what you’re responding to.

I usually write .....

Salty Dawg wrote;
“Bla bla bla ...... “

Then respond. Then we know what we’re talk’in bout.
And since you’re thin skinned I’m not pick’in on you as there’s probably a few hundred others that need to respond clearly also.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:56 PM   #72

City: Carrollton, Va
NOMAD WILLY

.....Did you really just call me thin skinned? 😂😂😂 Oh that's funny.

Also, when you quote someone... That's usually who you're responding to. Sorry to confuse you.
SaltyDawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:17 AM   #73
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Salty Dawg: This guy is selling his powercat company for $300k. Check it out. Possible resurrection??

Blue Planet 32E Test Drive - Blue Planet Catamarans - Setting the Environmental Standard - Powered by Torqeedo electric outboard motors

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:45 PM   #74
Veteran Member

City: Saint George Island, FL
Vessel Name: TRIBE OF G
Vessel Model: ACADIA 32
Power Cat

You are pretty much describing a PDQ.
Gypsyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #75

City: Cape Coral
Vessel Name: Waterfront Wonderland
Vessel Model: Hurricane SD217
I am looking at 40' sailboat cats and having the mast removed when I do the loop. The 40 hp motors get 3/4 gal a mile per engine and cruise at 6 knots. I have been told by owners that you can run 1 motor at a time and great fuel saving. Anyone cruised the look in sail cat?

Drake
Drake Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #76
Veteran Member

City: St. Petersburg, FL
Vessel Name: Finally Fun Again
Vessel Model: 39' Leopard Power Cat
We've stepped down from full time cruising for 6 years on our DeFever 50 w 16' beam and are in the process of purchasing a 39' Leopard with 19.9' beam. It has taken a year to find one, but good deals can be found coming out of charter in BVI, Bahamas and some USA. LOVE the 3 cabins, the higher speed than 8-9 knots at very economical cost of fuel and the huge flybridge. And, no marina has quoted addtl fees due to beam - same rate per foot. So, look around. The market is very limited at the moment as so many were destroyed during Hurricane Irma last year in the BVI (including the one we had under contract back then!!). I'd do the Loop in a heartbeat aboard this one but been there, done most of that..... Brokers tell me many cruisers are looking for power cats vs single hull due to added space in saloon and all the amenities. We shall see when we go to sell in a number of years....whenever....But we are thrilled with our switch! Closing in the Bahamas shortly!
Finally Fun Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:08 PM   #77

City: green cove springs
Vessel Name: GEM
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
we've lived on our pdq 34 for 6-9 mo for 13 yrs. for 34' it gives more liveable space than any option i've seen. we've cruised fl east to west and bahamas abacos to exumas. we've had or daughter & husband all of the above, perfect boat for fl/bahamas....gulf stream not so much. also we did icw to ne 6 yrs. perfect for that too.

we almost bought a 41 but it lacks a u-shaped dinette. when you live on a boat think about where you're spending your time and how you'll be comfortable.
Duetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:46 PM   #78
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Fun Again View Post
We've stepped down from full time cruising for 6 years on our DeFever 50 w 16' beam and are in the process of purchasing a 39' Leopard with 19.9' beam. It has taken a year to find one, but good deals can be found coming out of charter in BVI, Bahamas and some USA. LOVE the 3 cabins, the higher speed than 8-9 knots at very economical cost of fuel and the huge flybridge. And, no marina has quoted addtl fees due to beam - same rate per foot.
Transient rates won't be an issue. However, full time slips in some marinas will be as you won't fit in many 40' slips so forced to a larger slip you'll end up paying the rate per foot on a greater number. It just depends on the slip widths at the marinas you speak to.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:15 PM   #79
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duetto View Post

we almost bought a 41 but it lacks a u-shaped dinette. when you live on a boat think about where you're spending your time and how you'll be comfortable.
You can lounge comfortably into a corner
You can't with a curve
Old 07-07-2018, 01:37 AM   #80
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
The wife and I boarded two models of these cats at the Palm Beach, FL boat show. She fell in love with them as a liveaboard platform. In fact, I think she would have stayed on them all day if she could. I know nothing beyond the salesman’s spiel but I must admit they were most intriguing. Overblue - A New Lifestyle
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote