Power cats in 1962!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
1962 built by Marinette out of aluminum. I had no idea they went back that far!

Attachments

• 3691584_20110813111851_1_LARGE.jpg
    3691584_20110813111851_1_LARGE.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 146
A friend who likes aluminium boats was looking at one of these a few years ago. He didn't like it because a flybridge had been added at some point & it was mounted so far towards the stern the sight line over the bow was very poor. I think he said it had 413 ci Chrysler twins for power, the boat was around this area & when it sold was taken south to the gulf coast or Florida.

Yeah, I stumbled upon this one (or one just like it) when I was sure my first trawler was going to be a cat. It was for sale somewhere in one of the mid-west rivers, I think. Like you, I was shocked to find it, and I have to say, one of the better looking cats (not saying much). I figured that being aluminum and so ahead of its time, I'd probably have as much money in something like this as I would ..say an Endeavour 44, but I'd still have a 1962 Cat. I mean, this boat must have really been something in '62, but it does look a bit like a '62 Ford Galaxie.

Yea Larry I think it looks just the shy side of awful. A lot of cats look like an "instabarge". The mono hulled Marinette didn't look too bad. But these aluminum boats were surrounded by gorgeous wood boats of the time. One thing I can say for the aluminum cat is that if it was a good design it probably was very efficient. The darned thing could possibly weigh half as much as a typical plastic boat.

I figured that being aluminum and so ahead of its time, I'd probably have as much money in something like this as I would ..say an Endeavour 44, but I'd still have a 1962 Cat. I mean, this boat must have really been something in '62, but it does look a bit like a '62 Ford Galaxie.

We really like that old styling but am sure we are in the minority. Presented a real dilemma for us when looking at boats for sale. Common sense and our original desire was for a newer boat but we kept falling in love with the older stuff. Ultimately we followed our passion and bought an older lady with its quirks and less convenience than the newer models. Eventually we will spend far more money on the old boat than it is worth, but boating has never been a logical pursuit financially anyway.

Not sure what we would do if that cat was out here in California but it sure would be nice to take a look at in person. Do any of you know the dimensions of this boat?

Yeah, I stumbled upon this one (or one just like it) when I was sure my first trawler was going to be a cat. It was for sale somewhere in one of the mid-west rivers, I think. Like you, I was shocked to find it, and I have to say, one of the better looking cats (not saying much). I figured that being aluminum and so ahead of its time, I'd probably have as much money in something like this as I would ..say an Endeavour 44, but I'd still have a 1962 Cat. I mean, this boat must have really been something in '62, but it does look a bit like a '62 Ford Galaxie.

Perfect comparison! :thumb: I do enjoy the classics though!! :popcorn: :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom