Old 10-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Power cats in 1962!

1962 built by Marinette out of aluminum. I had no idea they went back that far!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3691584_20110813111851_1_LARGE.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	23818  

http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
A friend who likes aluminium boats was looking at one of these a few years ago. He didn't like it because a flybridge had been added at some point & it was mounted so far towards the stern the sight line over the bow was very poor. I think he said it had 413 ci Chrysler twins for power, the boat was around this area & when it sold was taken south to the gulf coast or Florida.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Yeah, I stumbled upon this one (or one just like it) when I was sure my first trawler was going to be a cat. It was for sale somewhere in one of the mid-west rivers, I think. Like you, I was shocked to find it, and I have to say, one of the better looking cats (not saying much). I figured that being aluminum and so ahead of its time, I'd probably have as much money in something like this as I would ..say an Endeavour 44, but I'd still have a 1962 Cat. I mean, this boat must have really been something in '62, but it does look a bit like a '62 Ford Galaxie.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Yea Larry I think it looks just the shy side of awful. A lot of cats look like an "instabarge". The mono hulled Marinette didn't look too bad. But these aluminum boats were surrounded by gorgeous wood boats of the time. One thing I can say for the aluminum cat is that if it was a good design it probably was very efficient. The darned thing could possibly weigh half as much as a typical plastic boat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I figured that being aluminum and so ahead of its time, I'd probably have as much money in something like this as I would ..say an Endeavour 44, but I'd still have a 1962 Cat. I mean, this boat must have really been something in '62, but it does look a bit like a '62 Ford Galaxie.
We really like that old styling but am sure we are in the minority. Presented a real dilemma for us when looking at boats for sale. Common sense and our original desire was for a newer boat but we kept falling in love with the older stuff. Ultimately we followed our passion and bought an older lady with its quirks and less convenience than the newer models. Eventually we will spend far more money on the old boat than it is worth, but boating has never been a logical pursuit financially anyway.

Not sure what we would do if that cat was out here in California but it sure would be nice to take a look at in person. Do any of you know the dimensions of this boat?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Yeah, I stumbled upon this one (or one just like it) when I was sure my first trawler was going to be a cat. It was for sale somewhere in one of the mid-west rivers, I think. Like you, I was shocked to find it, and I have to say, one of the better looking cats (not saying much). I figured that being aluminum and so ahead of its time, I'd probably have as much money in something like this as I would ..say an Endeavour 44, but I'd still have a 1962 Cat. I mean, this boat must have really been something in '62, but it does look a bit like a '62 Ford Galaxie.

Perfect comparison! I do enjoy the classics though!!

Art is online now   Reply With Quote