Potential to close part of Great Loop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congress authorized the Corps to conduct a study in 2007 which was released Monday (2/10/14) on how best to keep the invasive species, including Asian carp, from overwhelming the Great Lakes and threatening the area’s multi-billion dollar fishing industry. http://glmris.anl.gov/documents/docs/glmrisreport/GLMRISSummaryReport.pdf

According to the bill H.R. 4001 http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-113hr4001ih/pdf/BILLS-113hr4001ih.pdf is intended "To authorize the Secretary of the Army to carry out certain activities to prevent the interbasin transfer of aquatic invasive species between the Great Lakes and Mississippi River, and for other purposes." The bill specifically calls for a "HYDROLOGIC SEPARATION" between the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River basins. According the the Army Corps of Engineers report, a hydrologic separation would be provided by alternatives 5, 6 or 7 (alternate 8 only provides a hydrologic separation on 3 of the 5 aquatic routes) each of which cost $15+ Billion. Since the wording of the bill only authorize the Secretary of the Army to carry out certain activities and does not authorize any funding to implement the action, I think the bill is just a way for Rep. Candice Miller (R-MI) to grand stand for her constituents. :facepalm:

If you read the report referenced above you will see that most of the alternatives would be effective at stopping carp without blocking navigation.

>I have mixed feelings about the Mississippi part of the loop...hear the nice barely offsets the long, boring stretches.<

Same here, I tell folks to run to Charlivoy and make a U turn for the best loop experience.

>I have mixed feelings about the Mississippi part of the loop...hear the nice barely offsets the long, boring stretches.< Same here, I tell folks to run to Charlivoy and make a U turn for the best loop experience.
the best part of the Mississippi is between St. Louis & Minneapolis. Plenty of marinas for fuel, water & pump outs, ships stores for parts & lifts for haul outs if needed. Plenty of anchorages that you can have all to your self, sandbars and islands to explore. Watch the tows and hail them if you have any doubt at all how to pass, pay close attention to your charts when leaving the channel to anchor. A boater could spend all summer visiting the small and not so small old river towns on the way up & back down.

The three electric barriers have been installed and I believe they will continue to search for ways to stop the carp without totally blocking the river. Perhaps a lock with some greater charge within the chambers. Or a different kind of charge.

:thumb:absolutely my thought on this. Although I find it hard to leave Charlevvoix.

charlevoix mi - Searchya - Search Results Yahoo Image Search Results

Charlevoix is fast becoming the tourist boater mecca of NW Michigan.The charm began to disappear when they built the new marina and pushed it halfway to the middle of Round Lake in order to accommodate the scads of transients that flock there for the ever growing glitz and flim flam. Thank the internet and the info era for destroying what was once a fairly quiet and charming little town. The horns and endless sirens from street traffic make the noise pollution worse than New York City. These days I'd reverse course at Mackinaw Island.

The three electric barriers have been installed and I believe they will continue to search for ways to stop the carp without totally blocking the river. Perhaps a lock with some greater charge within the chambers. Or a different kind of charge.

They tried higher charges in the locks last year or the year before. Boaters had to hire special crews to run their boats through. It was not viewed as a success. And again, every option discussed thus far has been bandied about and debated literally for years. Chicago and it's backers will say anything to keep those locks open...anything. And once again, the opposing coalition is not convinced, even in the slightest. One guess as to which side genuinely has the health of the Lakes in mind.

Back
Top Bottom