Old 02-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #21

City: Grand Island NY
Vessel Name: Missy
Vessel Model: Mainship 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
The best solution would be to find a way to make harvesting these fish profitable. Whenever a profit is to be had, we are really good at eradicating a species.
Unfortunately, this is not a new idea and I'm sure some ideas were tried and failed.
From what I understand efforts were made to introduce this really bad smelling fish into restaurants. Apparently, most Americans do not like the smell or taste.

Surely someone can come up with a use for these fish. Not only are they overcrowding and easy to catch, they even jump in your boat and save you the time and trouble.

They are harvesting these - selling them to China.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/12/us...pagewanted=all

ronlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #22
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
I have no idea as to the chemistry or long term effect, but they used it last Spring in a small local river that feeds into Lake Michigan. Dock talk was that it degraded very quickly. No obvious effect such as fish die off.

Thanks

Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #23
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlord View Post
They are harvesting these - selling them to China.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/12/us...pagewanted=all
Thanks for the link. Very informative.

Apparently fed and state Govt's are doing something to help resolve the problem.
We have kicked around the idea of the Great Loop but neither of us are that interested in it. Even if we were, I would figure a way around it.
Some one will eventually start a travel lift company or railway to move boats. Hopefully, if they do, they will be from Great Lakes into the Mississippi and not the other way around.
Re-separation seems to be the only viable interim fix. It wont stop the birds and trailer sailors but it would certainly slow things down a bit.
The figures on the tonnage of fish caught and sold are only part of the story. When they will publish estimates on how much of an effect on the fish population has actually suffered by this we will have more meaningful data.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Thanks for the link. Very informative.

Apparently fed and state Govt's are doing something to help resolve the problem.
We have kicked around the idea of the Great Loop but neither of us are that interested in it. Even if we were, I would figure a way around it.
Some one will eventually start a travel lift company or railway to move boats. Hopefully, if they do, they will be from Great Lakes into the Mississippi and not the other way around.
Re-separation seems to be the only viable interim fix. It wont stop the birds and trailer sailors but it would certainly slow things down a bit.
The figures on the tonnage of fish caught and sold are only part of the story. When they will publish estimates on how much of an effect on the fish population has actually suffered by this we will have more meaningful data.
I have mixed feelings about the Mississippi part of the loop...hear the nice barely offsets the long, boring stretches.

It might be cool if someone started a train like they have for RVs that goes down through the Mexican mountains...but hauls the boats yet stops in a bunch of places along the regular (or at least near) loop route.

My boss and I have kicked around the idea of hauling RVs down the ICW on barges to give them our experience...so why not have that experience in reverse without some of the bad side for us?

maybe we could even work on the bottom like a haulout as we plod along on train flat cars...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #25
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Looks like a new Olympic Sport has been born. Add a beer drinking element and you've got a Biathlon.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #26
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
These guys have the right idea, I hope they are a huge success.
A whopper of a deal with China to export Illinois carp : Business

A Louisiana Chef has been trying to make them popular under the name Silverfin
he says they taste between scallop and crabmeat.
Chef Philippe Parola's Silverfin Campaign | Scuttlebutt: Louisiana News Briefs | Gambit - New Orleans News and Entertainment
Old 02-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post

The traditional Southern view has always been that you can eat anything if you just put enough ketchup on it! (Or hot sauce, if you are a Cajun. :-)
Old 02-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
These guys have the right idea, I hope they are a huge success.
A whopper of a deal with China to export Illinois carp : Business

Chef Philippe Parola's Silverfin Campaign | Scuttlebutt: Louisiana News Briefs | Gambit - New Orleans News and Entertainment
Yes, good solution for the river system where they have already wrecked the food chain. Not so good to allow them to wreck the Great Lakes ecosystem and then deal with the aftermath. And they will do exactly that with stunning speed and efficiency. This won't cut bait with the Laker community.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #29
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
Yes, good solution for the river system where they have already wrecked the food chain. Not so good to allow them to wreck the Great Lakes ecosystem and then deal with the aftermath. And they will do exactly that with stunning speed and efficiency. This won't cut bait with the Laker community.
I can add one point of experience with this. While we were passing through Peoria on the Illinois River, we had one of the asian carp jump over our transom and into our cockpit - a pretty amazing feat since we were going 7-8 kts. It definitely got the attention of our two dogs who were quickly locked away.

I learned later that it is supposedly illegal to throw the thrashing guy back so I won't publicly declare that I did that. But when I picked this guy up (to throw him back), he was a good 7-8 lbs and there were hundreds (thousands?) jumping all around. It made me think that they are getting fat on some food supply that some other species wants but can't get any longer. So just having them, catching them, and shipping them off to China or wherever doesn't solve the other problems they are probably causing to other fish.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #30
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
The best solution would be to find a way to make harvesting these fish profitable...
If the NMFS would declare them overfished, they could manage them out of existance like they tried to do with fluke, black sea bass, grouper, red snapper, etc.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #31

City: Silverado, CA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Nimble Wanderer
Congress authorized the Corps to conduct a study in 2007 which was released Monday (2/10/14) on how best to keep the invasive species, including Asian carp, from overwhelming the Great Lakes and threatening the area’s multi-billion dollar fishing industry. http://glmris.anl.gov/documents/docs...maryReport.pdf

According to the bill H.R. 4001 http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...13hr4001ih.pdf is intended "To authorize the Secretary of the Army to carry out certain activities to prevent the interbasin transfer of aquatic invasive species between the Great Lakes and Mississippi River, and for other purposes." The bill specifically calls for a "HYDROLOGIC SEPARATION" between the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River basins. According the the Army Corps of Engineers report, a hydrologic separation would be provided by alternatives 5, 6 or 7 (alternate 8 only provides a hydrologic separation on 3 of the 5 aquatic routes) each of which cost $15+ Billion. Since the wording of the bill only authorize the Secretary of the Army to carry out certain activities and does not authorize any funding to implement the action, I think the bill is just a way for Rep. Candice Miller (R-MI) to grand stand for her constituents.

If you read the report referenced above you will see that most of the alternatives would be effective at stopping carp without blocking navigation.
portager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:29 AM   #32
FF
Guru

>I have mixed feelings about the Mississippi part of the loop...hear the nice barely offsets the long, boring stretches.<

Same here, I tell folks to run to Charlivoy and make a U turn for the best loop experience.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #33
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
>I have mixed feelings about the Mississippi part of the loop...hear the nice barely offsets the long, boring stretches.< Same here, I tell folks to run to Charlivoy and make a U turn for the best loop experience.
the best part of the Mississippi is between St. Louis & Minneapolis. Plenty of marinas for fuel, water & pump outs, ships stores for parts & lifts for haul outs if needed. Plenty of anchorages that you can have all to your self, sandbars and islands to explore. Watch the tows and hail them if you have any doubt at all how to pass, pay close attention to your charts when leaving the channel to anchor. A boater could spend all summer visiting the small and not so small old river towns on the way up & back down.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #34
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
>I have mixed feelings about the Mississippi part of the loop...hear the nice barely offsets the long, boring stretches.<

Same here, I tell folks to run to Charlivoy and make a U turn for the best loop experience.
absolutely my thought on this. Although I find it hard to leave Charlevvoix.

charlevoix mi - Searchya - Search Results Yahoo Image Search Results
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
The three electric barriers have been installed and I believe they will continue to search for ways to stop the carp without totally blocking the river. Perhaps a lock with some greater charge within the chambers. Or a different kind of charge.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
absolutely my thought on this. Although I find it hard to leave Charlevvoix.

charlevoix mi - Searchya - Search Results Yahoo Image Search Results
Charlevoix is fast becoming the tourist boater mecca of NW Michigan.The charm began to disappear when they built the new marina and pushed it halfway to the middle of Round Lake in order to accommodate the scads of transients that flock there for the ever growing glitz and flim flam. Thank the internet and the info era for destroying what was once a fairly quiet and charming little town. The horns and endless sirens from street traffic make the noise pollution worse than New York City. These days I'd reverse course at Mackinaw Island.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
The three electric barriers have been installed and I believe they will continue to search for ways to stop the carp without totally blocking the river. Perhaps a lock with some greater charge within the chambers. Or a different kind of charge.
They tried higher charges in the locks last year or the year before. Boaters had to hire special crews to run their boats through. It was not viewed as a success. And again, every option discussed thus far has been bandied about and debated literally for years. Chicago and it's backers will say anything to keep those locks open...anything. And once again, the opposing coalition is not convinced, even in the slightest. One guess as to which side genuinely has the health of the Lakes in mind.