Old 08-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Potable Water Hose

Some water hose is specifically intended for drinking water. Assuming one has that hose, should it be replaced after some period of time? Clearly, (pun intended) you can't see the inside of the hose which surely must grow "things" over time. Is there a way to sterilize a hose and how often should that be done?

What's wrong with washing your boat with the water hose? Seems to me, the more water that flows through the hose, the cleaner it would become. Interested in your thoughts.

Howard

hmason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
This is pretty much the only brand of hose I use on boats.

http://www.tricoflex.com/pdf/pdf_eng...ex-anglais.pdf

We use them to both wash the boat and fill the tanks. The drinking water is filtered on its way into to the tanks and as it comes out of the tanks. We never seem to have anything growing in the hose.

Although I've seen it happen in hoses that either don't get much use and/or are not drained after most every use.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
I've never had a problem with hose growing things. If you're using city water, chances are it has chlorine in it any way. We're been using the same hose for the last 8 years. We always run it though before we use it.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
finally our marina replaced the section of clear hose that connected the bulkhead to the floating dock.

for years not only has my "drinking water safe" hose grown algae...that clear section of dock supply during weeks of low usage grew a forest of greenies.

and that was with city water with all the appropriate disinfectants.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
finally our marina replaced the section of clear hose that connected the bulkhead to the floating dock.

for years not only has my "drinking water safe" hose grown algae...that clear section of dock supply during weeks of low usage grew a forest of greenies.

and that was with city water with all the appropriate disinfectants.
That may be because of the clear hose section. I don't know if greenies can grow without light.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
That may be because of the clear hose section. I don't know if greenies can grow without light.
My white potable water hose is obviously green inside...I can see it...they can definitely grow stuff inside as I have had it belch up green long after leaving my marina.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
My white potable water hose is obviously green inside...I can see it...they can definitely grow stuff inside as I have had it belch up green long after leaving my marina.
uh oh.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: -
We have one 75'' hose at the slip for all purposes. We always drain the hose of excess water before storing it in the dock box and we don't connect both ends together as we've seen some people do. So the hose can dry out inside. As Larry said, city water has additives in it that help prevent growth in the hose. We use the hose enough to keep collected moisture sitting in it long enough to start hosting flora or fauna. We've been using the same hose for 17 years now.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #9
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
I've used the same water hose for probably 10 - 12 years, but I drain it after each use and store it in a dry place. Then we run the hose a couple of minutes just to remove dust and any spiders before filling the tanks.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #10
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
A "Brain Eating" amoeba was found in the water system of a neighboring Parish, there have been a few cases in the news lately. Apparently one can drink the water with no problem but if it gets up the nose it can be fatal. The Parish did a "chlorine burn" supposedly all is ok now, It probably would have starved to death anyway.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #11

City: louisiana
Steve, the 'brain eating amoeba' was also located in the water supply to the state Senate and House of Representatives...it will DEFINITELY starve to death!!!
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #12

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
..... Is there a way to sterilize a hose and how often should that be done? .........

Howard
In a rustic rural house I built in Mexico I used a clear hose (mistake) to supply water from the rooftop tinaco (water storage tank) and after a short period of time (a few weeks) green algae started growing inside the hose. To rid the clear hose of algae I simply disconnected it and added a few tablespoons of chlorine bleach into the hose and then connected both ends of it together and circulated the water/chlorine mixture for fifteen or so minutes. The green algae disappeared within that fifteen minutes so I reconnected the hose to my water supply system and all was good to go. Note: I have since replaced the clear hose with a black irrigation type hose and, since I can't see through it, I'm assuming my algae growth problem has been eliminated (algae needs light to grow).

If you choose to error on the safe side of things you can flush your water hose with a quarter cup of chlorine bleach every few months.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:15 PM   #13
Guru

Ihad bought a potable water hose, and then noticed one time when hooking up, a big slug of green algae Ran out
it was the typical white hose with a blue stripe. Upon closer inspection I discovered that the hose was almost translucent allowing the Sun the cause algae to grow. I searched hard to find the hose that was a little sticker that was not translucent. in the sunlight you could stick your finger inside the hose and see the shadow from the outside .who would have thought that?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:41 PM   #14
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Calcium Hypochlorite is typically used to sanitize potable water systems.

It's what we used in the Navy for potable water hose flushing. On occasion, the "doc" would even check up on us.

I'd surmise you could buy it a Home Depot, unless of course, someone has figured out how to make a bomb with it, then you probably can't.

Regular bleach, aka Sodium Hypochlorite, decomposes over a relatively short time particularly when warm or hot, like my closed up boat. So if you use it for disinfecting, use fresh stuff, or increase the retention time.

I use neither...but I drink out my backyard garden hose all the time, so I might not be the best role model. Just not high on my priority list.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:19 PM   #15
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I use the same hose for washing the boat as I do for filling the tanks but I have a fairly large inline filter that I use when the tanks. I got It at WallyWorld a couple of years ago.

It goes onto the dock hose and has an outlet hose that I put into the tank. Since I started using that filter we've had zero smell to the water, no greenies and no sediment.

The filter has a paper element inside that I change annually.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:41 PM   #16
Guru

The real question is, has anybody gotten sick from drinking the algae? I kind of doubt it. At least based on how common it is in hoses.

Seems more like a cosmetic issue.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:38 PM   #17
Guru

Maybe I will cultivate it and sell it as health food...I know a country that would probably import it too....
Old 08-25-2015, 10:08 PM   #18
Guru

Or make fuel out of it.

History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian
Old 08-25-2015, 10:35 PM   #19

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
[QUOTE=Capt.Bill11;362502]Or make fuel out of it.

History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian[/QUOTE

Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:56 PM   #20
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
you can use a bit of white vinegar in the hose to kill the bacteria. just flush it when you are ready to use it next time.

stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote