Old 08-10-2017, 08:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Compton
Potable Water

I have plastic water tanks and am wondering how folks treat the potable water to keep it fresh. What do you folks use to treat their tanks from a day to day? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks JD

Pieyed47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: FORT LAUDERDALE,FL
Vessel Name: MERIDIAN^2 (squared)
Vessel Model: 1984 Pilgrim 40
I was a full time liveaboard for over 17 years......I just used the water and refilled the tanks using a "whole house filter" with charcoal cartridges. Never had bad water with that method.

captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I typically fill my tanks with treated city water. Once in a while I will add a tablespoon or so of chlorine bleach (unscented) to each tank if the water seems suspect.

I only use my own personal "drinking water approved" hose that's used for nothing else and kept hidden on the boat so others can't borrow it to rinse out their holding tanks. I let the water run for a few minutes before filling the tanks.

I've never had a problem with bad or "stale" water.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:29 AM   #4
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I typically fill my tanks with treated city water. Once in a while I will add a tablespoon or so of chlorine bleach (unscented) to each tank if the water seems suspect.

I only use my own personal "drinking water approved" hose that's used for nothing else and kept hidden on the boat so others can't borrow it to rinse out their holding tanks. I let the water run for a few minutes before filling the tanks.

+1
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
Guru

City: AR
1. Always let the water run long enough before filling the tank to purge all the water that's been sitting in the dock supply line and your hose. The water will no longer be warm when it starts coming directly from the main.

2. USE your water...replenish and refill often.

3. Recommission the system at least annually or when it starts to taste a little "funky" using the directions I've posted here several times and have also included in my books.

That will keep your water tasting and smelling as good as any that comes out of a faucet on land. If that doesn't suit you, put a faucet filter on the galley sink. You don't need filtered water to shower, brush your teeth wash dishes or flush the toilet. Just remember that a filter is not a substitute for maintenance.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
HeadMistress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #6

City: Cape Coral, Fl
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler
Any recommendations other than bleach?
I have stainless tanks and am concerned about bleach removing the coating on the stainless
Panacea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #7
Guru

Bleach is chlorine and is what the water company uses to treat your water. You won't be using enough to harm the water tanks.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #8
Guru

One possible consideration with (white) plastic (polyethylene) tanks is light transmission. Enough light may enable the growth of algae on the inner walls. If this could be a concern might be worth covering tank sides that are exposed to light.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea123 View Post
Any recommendations other than bleach?
I have stainless tanks and am concerned about bleach removing the coating on the stainless
Using Peggie's recommendations as Wes said, the amount of bleach used for maintenance (if even required) isn't enough to cause a problem. The amount of bleach used for yearly commissioning is not in the tanks long enough to create corrosion problems.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #10
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Water sitting in tanks, especially occasional use boats, will acquire organisms. They come on the air, thru the vents as the tanks heat and cool with daily temperature changes. If you're not using treated city water, or if the water sits in the tanks, you need to treat it or suffer the consequences.
Inexpensive filters sets can be found on Amazon, Ebay and other places that remove chlorine, organic chemicals, pesticides and herbicides, and hundreds of other man-made chemicals found in tap water creating better tasting water in the process. Common sets usually include a 1-5 micron filter and GAC & CTO filters.
In my system, I use these filters both before the RO membranes and after the tanks. I add chlorine when making water (no dock water since 2011) and use a cheap pool test kit to keep chlorine at a very low level. I have great tasting water, dishes and glasses are cleaner, and laundry comes out better.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #11
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
We just use the hose attached to the dock - let it run - then fill our plastic tanks.
We liveaboard, so the water is used but can be as much as 12 weeks between fills.
No filters, no chemical, no dramas.
Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
When at the dock, we filter all water before it goes into the tanks. We use a combination filter; particulate and carbon. Away from the dock, we use the watermaker. We turn the water over enough that we have never had to "shock" the system with chemicals. Like Simi 60, we've never had any problems. I think the key is starting with a clean system, using/turning over the water and know what goes into the tanks.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #13
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
I carry 300 gallons with full tanks. Used for laundry, showers, dishes and fresh water flush toilets. I am a traveling live aboard. With three people on board it lasts about a week. When I'm solo it lasts three weeks. Have a new water maker on board and have yet to use it. I use only bottled water for drinking. Only problem I've ever had was taking water in Apalachacola where the city water had a rotten egg smell. Apparently there is no issue with it and the town all use it regularly without issue. I pumped out the entire load at the next port, flushed the tanks and refilled with clean Tarpon City water.
McGillicuddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
.............. I use only bottled water for drinking. ..............
Once we empty a bottle of "bottled water", we refill it from our boat's water system, screw the cap on and put it back in the refrigerator.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:54 PM   #15

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
Quote:
Once we empty a bottle of "bottled water", we refill it from our boat's water system, screw the cap on and put it back in the refrigerator.
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #16
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Potable Water

Quote:

I do the same. My wife is a bit paranoid and will only drink bottled water on the boat. Doesn't make a bit of sense to me as she has no problem cooking with our boats water, using it for coffee etc but she likes to drink bottles water. I think it is an extravagant waste of money and resources. We have a filter on our galley sink. Our water tastes great. I don't get it. However, I lug cases of bottle water to the boat for all the time.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #17
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Our Tolly has two, plastic, 40 yr. old water tanks = Total 77 gallons.

They are completely in the dark.

I add 1/2 cup Clorox bleach in each tank every third time I refill. They are about 50% down at each refill.

Have no problem of clean looking, good smelling and good tasting water. Do rinse mouth for brushing, wash dishes and shower. Do not drink it.

Always bring good supply of home tap water in good containers for drinking.

As our current life style mandates long weekends and not long trips aboard boat the drinking water we transport is plenty enough.

When our lives get more time for duration boating I plan to fully flush the tanks and put filters for drinking water out of both tanks.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #18
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Our Tolly has two, plastic, 40 yr. old water tanks = Total 77 gallons.

They are completely in the dark.

I add 1/2 cup Clorox bleach in each tank every third time I refill. They are about 50% down at each refill.

Have no problem of clean looking, good smelling and good tasting water. Do rinse mouth for brushing, wash dishes and shower. Do not drink it.

Always bring good supply of home tap water in good containers for drinking.

As our current life style mandates long weekends and not long trips aboard boat the drinking water we transport is plenty enough.

When our lives get more time for duration boating I plan to fully flush the tanks and put filters for drinking water out of both tanks.
1/2 cup in each tank
I have put half of that one day to clean the tanks (total 70 gal) and water was smelling like a pool! I needed 2 or 3 complete flush to get rid of the chlorine taste!
Maybe what you use is not the same concentration though.

L.
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:47 PM   #19
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I fill my tanks with tap water. Our tap water already has chlorine. I don't add anything else. My 35 year old tanks tanks are fibreglass; the original pipes are copper. The original water pump is still operational. No UV chlorinators, no triple charcoal filters.

I open the tap, I fill a glass and drink it. It tastes great.
If I put it in a trendy bottle, people can't tell the difference from something that costs $3/litre.

You have to admire companies like Coca Cola, and Puratap who have made millions by convincing people that tap water is not fit for drinking. or not.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:02 PM   #20

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (is for SALE)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Quote:

+1
We have been living aboard almost 10 yrs and use the water in our tank every day for everything. All water coming aboard comes via a specific white hose, through a charcoal and particulate filter, and a water softener.

HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote