Potable Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Water at our dock is known to be: Not Recommended For Drinking Purposes. Which we don't! Soooo, in our case I feel 1 tbs per 14 gals water works fine to keep our system clean enough.

Yeah, we are fortunate that most of our docks have good water from good muni systems. I saw a patient yesterday who is a water quality manager for the City of Tacoma. His job is to keep the City's drinking water safe. I asked him how much residual chlorine they shoot for at the tap. He said that they are currently aiming for a bit under 1ppm free chlorine at the tap. The target amount varies by the water source. Open water sources, such as what Tacoma gets from the Green River, require more than sources which are strictly well sourced.

.5 ppm should be enough to keep water in pipes safe, but isn't enough for long term storage. That is while I add another 1 tsp for each 50 gallons.

Replace that "very good quality garden hose " with a drinking water hose and you'll be in good shape. A "garden hose" can leach chemicals into the water that your filter may not remove.

I don't worry about it. Consisting that my drinking water never sits in the hose, but is only passing through, I don't think there is leaching occurring after the water has been run through the hose for 5-10 minutes before I use it to fill the tanks. However, it never hurts to be safe.

I do the same. My wife is a bit paranoid and will only drink bottled water on the boat. Doesn't make a bit of sense to me as she has no problem cooking with our boats water, using it for coffee etc but she likes to drink bottles water. I think it is an extravagant waste of money and resources. We have a filter on our galley sink. Our water tastes great. I don't get it. However, I lug cases of bottle water to the boat for all the time.

I have the same situation. :blush:

Seems America has a big problem with clean drinking water.
Perhaps they should divert some of that $600 billion military expenditure and put it to a good use vs bombing the bejesus out of any country that has oil but no mcdonalds or Starbucks.

Seems America has a big problem with clean drinking water.
Perhaps they should divert some of that $600 billion military expenditure and put it to a good use vs bombing the bejesus out of any country that has oil but no mcdonalds or Starbucks.

Hm.... I suppose we could.... but....

Nah, bomb the crap out em'. Fire and fury like the world has never seen yah know.

Month after month, year after year... I think we should bomb em with millions upon millions of Twinkies and Swanson fried chicken dinners. What a boom for increased U.S. employment / uplifted economy.

Them foreign folks would die off soon enough.

We live aboard. We have 150 gallon tankage. All through mouth (less tooth brushing) goes through a gravity Berkie Filter on the bridge tubed to the kitchen sink dedicated faucet. I have a bridge feed to hand fill from the main tanks. For two of us about 2x a day fill. The Berkie system is used by wilderness folks in Africa and so forth to clean river water. Those are the cleanable ceramic filters that get organisms, cysts and so forth. The activated charcoal filters get it all: clorine, arsenic, floride and as far as I know everything.
Works for us so far. Double negative thing. I do know the water does taste better without a $20 a week pitcher filter addiction or stacks of water pack muled aboard down the long pier regularly.

5ppm of Cl should be about right for "maintenance" mode

So normal strength bleach that is 2.5Tbs per 100 gallons.

If you need to do a one-time disinfect, use 10X that for a few hours and then flush. Stronger than that you'd need less time. (time is dependent on strength.. 10:1 water:bleach takes only a minute or so to kill just about any micro organism)

Source: Used to battle micro organisms for my paycheck.

5ppm of Cl should be about right for "maintenance" mode

So normal strength bleach that is 2.5Tbs per 100 gallons.

If you need to do a one-time disinfect, use 10X that for a few hours and then flush. Stronger than that you'd need less time. (time is dependent on strength.. 10:1 water:bleach takes only a minute or so to kill just about any micro organism)

Source: Used to battle micro organisms for my paycheck.

Sooo... ya sayen dat me ratio of 1tbs Clorox ta approx. 14 gal H2O tiz a bit over kill?? - LOL Sure smells clean!

Well, we both be planned to go ta Heaven with spotless, white souls!! :dance:

Actually, we don't drink it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom