Post photos of your boat in big seas here.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a video I took while helping a guy take a boat from Seattle to Stockton. This was about an hour north of the Columbia Bar on our second day out. The boat was a 58' Bayliner Motor Yacht. No small boat by any stretch but it sure looks like a cork in this video.

Excellent example of the 58' Bayliner Motor Yacht at sea. Thank you for sharing.

Whenever I'm feeling like I want an "all weather" boat, I watch this video. The boat may be all weather, I don't think I am.

I have great respect for the professionals!

https://youtu.be/huhEWxW4XFE

Last edited:
Durant F your video didn't attach.

Here's one for you not our boat but a good example of the North Pacific 39

https://vimeo.com/65869726

Last edited:
From Tonga to Minerva reef

I just crossed the entire Pacific Ocean on my 47’ power vessel. The worst weather we experience were 20 footers on the bow when we left Tonga. The weather continued for 2 nights and a day.

The video I’m posting is from before it went from bad to worst. The winds were not much but constantly blowing 30+ knots and for some reason short duration steep waves. Maybe there was some opposing currents that helped creating these unfavorable conditions. We were taking just spray over the bow on the video, but later when foot or more green water came up once with every few waves, I did not think of grabbing the phone to take photos or videos.

The boat was launched up in the air and falling down in the hole in the other side. Usually the re-entrance was smooth due to my boat sharp angle on the bow, but few times it felt like the boat was dropped in the parking lot surface. That’s when I was hoping that nothing breaks so the boat keeps us alive. Needless to say that we were holding for “dear life”.

...Stby! I will eventually figure out how to post the video...

Last edited by a moderator:
A short video of Georgia Strait. Not even a bad day, but enough to remind me of the criticality of having the dinghy and things strapped down well!

9WFBFS5NZA4

"...Stby! I will eventually figure out how to post the video..."

:popcorn:...

A short video of Georgia Strait. Not even a bad day, but enough to remind me of the criticality of having the dinghy and things strapped down well!

9WFBFS5NZA4

Is that the 50' Gulf Commander ? If so that wave that slapped you was no Tiny Tim.

Even in the inland waters of the San Francisco Bay/Delta, one can meet steep, five-foot waves which shoots heavy spray over the pilothouse and nearly buries the bow. Worse is the eastern end of Suisun Bay, second is eastern end of San Pablo Bay, and third worse is the central SF Bay itself. Strong currents opposing strong winds are the culprit.

I have posted this pic before but it is worth showing again. Obviously from many years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20160601_0001.jpg
    IMG_20160601_0001.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 157
Hi,

I like this subject, thank you everybody for sharing the picture / video. Unfortunately, it does not own a picture of my boat or video material because when it has had good high sea, it has not come to mind to describe it.

Next year (here winter) I try to remember to describe and hopefully other TF members continue to keep this conversation alive, this is always an interesting topic.

NBs

I have posted this pic before but it is worth showing again. Obviously from many years ago.

That looks terrifying ! Holy Dina !!!! In my days of Dragging off the coast of Washington I never experienced that in a 98 footer out of Ballard. Great photo thanks for sharing.

I favor more speed in calm waters!

Attachments

• Enlarged Sandpiper.jpg
    Enlarged Sandpiper.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 142
Following seas at the port quarter.

and heading seas here

Last edited:
big seas

outside of the Golden Gate.

Dan

Attachments

• DSCN1391.jpg
    DSCN1391.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 153
That looks terrifying ! Holy Dina !!!! In my days of Dragging off the coast of Washington I never experienced that in a 98 footer out of Ballard. Great photo thanks for sharing.
Nor I! I have seen 30 footers off the coast while on tugs, but extreme weather like that only in Alaska in the Gulf or the Bering Sea.

This isn’t actually that bad...about 25 knots on the nose.
The funny part is I had just dropped Claudia off at Campbell River to fly home after being out 3 weeks last year without seeing a wave!
This was the very next day returning to Heriot Bay

https://youtu.be/pBQekHloaU0

Last edited:
We were too busy (and scared) to take pictures, but the only seas I have ever been in where I thought we might have messed up and be in real trouble, was leaving through Rudder Cut in the Bahamas with a strong east wind against an ebbing tide. Standing waves of ten feet, very close together, and rocks and reefs on both sides. It only lasted for about five to ten minutes, but it was the most scared I've ever been on a boat.

We were in a sailboat, running on the engine, with the sails furled (big tactical mistake). Nothing like being one engine failure, or one clogged fuel filter, away from disaster.

Hey Jordan, it's Bill! I just saw your comments. Wow, that does not sound fun! Glad you are doing well.

Cheers, Bill

I've been in a few seas. However, like others have mentioned... when there are real seas a camera is my last thought.

Only reason this photo was taken was because there were no real seas and I wasn't the one taking the pict!

This pict is mild chop in confused conditions with way toooo many boats on the scene. Some were way to small and ill equipped!

Attachments

• Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg
    Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 126
Duck%20about%20HongKong-S.jpg

Diesel Duck, from galley port. Leaving Hong Kong at height of Monsoon.

This is the tug my dad owned in the mid 60's shortly before he bought it bucking some slop in AK somewhere, I forget exactly. Made my first trip to AK from Seattle on her in '66. She was 65' long, 200HP heavy duty Atlas engine, that was literally about 7' tall, and 12' long and weighed tons. Exposed rocker arms that we had to go and "oil up" at all hours day and night. As you can see by the forefoot she was very deep. When tanked down she drew about 11' aft. That trip ruined my little sister for ever going boating again. She was sick the whole way up and later back, both ways. She gets seasick standing on the dock now still!

Attachments

• 04940008 INVERNESS_NEW.jpg
    04940008 INVERNESS_NEW.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 119
I’ve not been in big seas on our boat yet, and I’m going to do everything possible to keep it that way.

When we crossed back from the Bahamas in the middle of the GS I thought the waves were getting big so I took a video from the cockpit describing the “big following seas”, but after getting home I deleted it. I sounded pretty silly on the voice over describing what did not look anything close to big. [emoji30]

This is my favorite big sea video. This couple was delivering a new Leopard 39 Sailing catamaran from Cape Town to Brisbane and got caught in some damn scary looking seas IMO. But they were all like “woo hoo”— like it was no biggie. I think they are pro delivery captains however. 65 knot winds. Surfed down waves at 34 knots allegedly. 64 day trip. No thanks. [emoji15]

So do catamarans surf down waves better than a monohull with less risk of a broach? Seem like they would do better at that. But also seems like they could stuff a hull if pitched too far forward while surfing.

https://youtu.be/hQ-svmgOxqw

Last edited:
This couple

I’ve not been in big seas on our boat yet, and I’m going to do everything possible to keep it that way.

When we crossed back from the Bahamas in the middle of the GS I thought the waves were getting big so I took a video from the cockpit describing the “big following seas”, but after getting home I deleted it. I sounded pretty silly on the voice over describing what did not look anything close to big. [emoji30]

This is my favorite big sea video. This couple was delivering a new Leopard 39 Sailing catamaran from Cape Town to Brisbane and got caught in some damn scary looking seas IMO. But they were all like “woo hoo”— like it was no biggie. I think they are pro delivery captains however. 65 knot winds. Surfed down waves at 34 knots allegedly. 64 day trip. No thanks. [emoji15]

So do catamarans surf down waves better than a monohull with less risk of a broach? Seem like they would do better at that. But also seems like they could stuff a hull if pitched too far forward while surfing.

https://youtu.be/hQ-svmgOxqw

Has some sort of sea anchor rigged. It will slow them down, helping them to keep from burying the bow.

Gordon

Back
Top Bottom