Old 07-11-2014, 12:00 AM   #1
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Post account of Miami three boat crash.

Only weeks following separate fatal boat party incidents on a Key Biscayne sand bar, now comes a devastating crash off Diner Key, a great anchorage just about 15 minutes further south on Biscayne Bay. Diner Keyi is always fraught with danger on Holidays....hundreds of boats, this time a t-bone crash involving three boats, 20 people with 4 dead and three seriously injured. Here's the post-accident account link published on the Krogen site.

Witnesses recount harrowing aftermath of boat wreck on Biscayne Bay - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:18 AM   #2
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
I'm shocked, shocked I say, to read that alcohol might be involved!

If the driver of the boat that hit the other is found to have been impaired, he should be dragged behind a boat (not a trawler!), tied to and anchor of his choice and dropped overboard.

I've been in the July 4th chaos in Lake Union is Seattle twice now and am amazed something like this has not happened there. Something like 2,000 boats in a fairly mall lake with only two narrow outlets, and half of which is closed because of the fireworks barge. I saw 2 police boats and 2 CG Ribs.

THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:01 AM   #3
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Why not impose a temporary speed restriction to 6 mph at the fireworks locations. I know it would not stop a drunk but would make him obvious to the LEOs.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Why not impose a temporary speed restriction to 6 mph at the fireworks locations. I know it would not stop a drunk but would make him obvious to the LEOs.
Very good idea....spotting dangerous behavior early would be very beneficial.

It may be tough to enforce.... keeping up with many local and temporary boating regulations is hard to do and the typical violators would be the ones who wouldn't bother to check anyway.

Might be worth a try if it isn't already buried in some other rule...I remember from the NJ Boating Safety Class saying to slow Near marine Parades and regattas...but I didn't see it in the Marine Police Handbook so I'm not sure if it was tied to a reg or just "feel good" info in the workbook.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Very good idea....spotting dangerous behavior early would be very beneficial.

It may be tough to enforce.... keeping up with many local and temporary boating regulations is hard to do and the typical violators would be the ones who wouldn't bother to check anyway.

Might be worth a try if it isn't already buried in some other rule...I remember from the NJ Boating Safety Class saying to slow Near marine Parades and regattas...but I didn't see it in the Marine Police Handbook so I'm not sure if it was tied to a reg or just "feel good" info in the workbook.
Since this was FL's "worst ever" accident, some new rule is bound to come out of it. Temporary 6 mph speed restriction (or Slow Speed Minimum Wake) +/-2 hours of the event time in a designated area and a little press coverage would help.
Im not a fan of more rules but at the end of a fireworks show its pure insanity.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
Guru

Is it a policing problem there? We have just as many bad boaters (if not more) in California as Florida. I'm thinkin' our water cops might be freer with citations than they are there. I help teach a court-ordered boating class and the fines are nothing to sneeze at, sometimes over a thousand dollars. Takin' a boating class does not absolve the boater from payin' the fine but it might help with the judge.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I'm sure this kind of figure 8 racing is not unusual in other cities, but at least in my minor experience, Miami is a place where not only do we have irresponsible persons piloting dangerous, high powered vessels, but it may be the first time they ever got behind the controls of anything like that. It's not just irresponsible persons, it's irresponsible wealth.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
In Miami, a 30' center console is considered underpowered if it has less than 750hp.

That place is crazy on so many levels.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
In Miami, a 30' center console is considered underpowered if it has less than 750hp.

That place is crazy on so many levels.
One of the many reasons why I always advise people who are doing the ICW to go outside and avoid Miami as much as possible (coming in at Government Cut, or going out at Government Cut). Even the ICW can get very crazy at times in that area! I have always figured that Miami is a good place to be from.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #10
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Even Lebron is skipping Miami nowadays!
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Even Lebron is skipping Miami nowadays!
His loss. There is a lot of good boating areas in and around Miami. Plus lots of good food, good shopping and great people watching.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #12

City: Interior Texas
Vessel Name: Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Model: 1987 Sea Ray AC
The bay between Biscayne and Largo is beuatiful. And thirty five years ago it offered some wonderful sailing, free of traffic and congestion.

Today, the people watching can be hazardous to ones health. Witness this thread. Too many testosterone-fueled individuals all trying to impress god only knows whom. Better to avoid that scene on the weekends / holidays to live another day free of headaches or worse.

I wonder if any of the earlier proposed methods of restricting stupidity will be enacted before the next Columbus Day Regatta?
texasnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #13
Guru

35 years ago I had my sailboat in Coconut Grove and enjoyed the relative serenity of Biscayne Bay during the week.

I enjoyed the Columbus day events also.

I see no testosterone so far in this thread...not sure what is trying to be connected there unless you just mean the accident (and so far I've seen no facts or investigation results).

The rule makers know there's few things that can actually stop trouble makers without wrecking the experience for others.

Any early warning techniques that can identify BUI types is great..but to be honest..after years of being enforcement/assistance n the water...not much really helps till it's too late.

Like some DUIs...it's the neighbor that calls the police when the drunk is leaving the driveway that can be effective as anything...really check points work good too but everyone cries civil liberty with those....so if you see suspect activity..getting involved is really a big deterrent.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #14
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Anything going over 12 knots raises the hair on my neck. Regardless of the ColRegs, the chances of being able to avoid them begins to drop logarithmically while in a seven-knot boat.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Anything going over 12 knots raises the hair on my neck. Regardless of the ColRegs, the chances of being able to avoid them begins to drop logarithmically while in a seven-knot boat.
While I enjoy trawler speeds like you Mark...avoiding being hit by missiles usually goes up with mach speeds....

Outrunning danger has it's advantages.

Out thinking many of todays boaters either requires too much computing power or just a plain old short circuit...not sure when each would apply is the problem.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #16

City: Interior Texas
Vessel Name: Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Model: 1987 Sea Ray AC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
35 years ago I had my sailboat in Coconut Grove and enjoyed the relative serenity of Biscayne Bay during the week.

I see no testosterone so far in this thread...not sure what is trying to be connected there unless you just mean the accident (and so far I've seen no facts or investigation results).
Diner Key myself (42' Catalina.) Made many memories at Bananas while ashore. Understand it is long gone...

The post was in regard to the objects afloat, not the opinions contained herein concerning testosterone.

Once upon a time, two engines were considered sufficient. Then the H.P. numbers began increasing and so too the number of engines. Now it's four+ on some crazy boats. And not ocean racing I may add.

You can't legislate away stupidity. Sadly our elected officials attempt to and we see ever decreasing examples of Darwin's law being applied (achieved?) by the general population.

It would be sad to read of any constraints being enacted in the Bay but I fear that day is likely not too far off. Just as it has been in so many other areas of our lives.

To climb back out of this rabbit hole, I offer condolences and prayers to the families who lost loved ones as a result of this latest (unconfirmed) example that suggests boating under way and alcohol don't mix.
texasnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #17
Guru

Boating and IRRESPONSIBLE use of alcohol don't mix...same as always....
Old 07-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #18
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Have never yet sounded the 5-short danger single, although there were several instances in hindsight I should have. Trouble is, things usually happen too fast. I need to be more assertive/forward-thinking.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #19
Guru

I use it a lot when towing in confined waters and clueless boaters are making traffic difficult.

Trouble is..... for the early reports of this accident and others...they happen fast and the types of boats involved you probably couldn't hear the blasts and for sure the skippers probably had no clue if sober...let alone current state.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #20
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnielsen View Post

Today, the people watching can be hazardous to ones health. Witness this thread. Too many testosterone-fueled individuals all trying to impress god only knows whom. Better to avoid that scene on the weekends / holidays to live another day free of headaches or worse.
I wasn't really eluding to people watching on the water per say. Nor where the people involved in this accident people watching at the time of the accident. So I'm not sure what connection that has to this.

While I don't disagree that weekends and holidays can be very busy out on the water, most people don't have the luxury of only boating on the weekdays.

So for better or worse learning to deal with crowded boat conditions is a skill many have to develop like it or not.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote