Old 07-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Trouble is..... for the early reports of this accident and others...they happen fast and the types of boats involved you probably couldn't hear the blasts and for sure the skippers probably had no clue if sober...let alone current state.
No doubt.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #22
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
After 50 years of boat ownership I have made it a practice to watch fireworks on July 4th holiday from land, at our dock, or from our private mooring in a nearby harbor. That pretty much "protects" us from the nut cases. Once, when the kids were young they nagged me enough to actually take the boat out to watch the fireworks. They ended at low tide and I was stunned at the number of boats that ran aground entering the harbor in the dark. That was it for me. Howard

hmason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #23
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
So for better or worse learning to deal with crowded boat conditions is a skill many have to develop like it or not.
I spent quite a bit of time on a 33 foot sail boat and on small power boats in South Florida which taught me to deal with crowded, shallow, and narrow waterways full of crazy, drunk and/or ignorant boaters decades ago.

We were out in WA recently on a very nice 50 footer that was like a space ship compared to what I was used too back in the day. It was interesting to me as I fell back into the groove of operating the boat on the wide, deep to infinity, and empty waterway. Compared to South FLA that is. I found myself keeping way to the right in the channel, though it was not required, since there was very little traffic and the channel was huge by ICW standards. And the water was soooooo deep out there! Dozens if not a hundred fathoms, not 4-6 feet! Some people got nervous on the boat when we had a bit less then 30 feet of water under the keel yet 2-3 feet was deep for us back in FLA.

The only boat that was sorta in the crazy column was a sail boat that was drifting the channel. Not a big deal since the channel was wide and deep but it was kinda hard to figure out what they were doing...

The view out of the back of the boat was sorta blocked by a dinghy which bothered me since I am so used to watching 360 degrees around the boat. I found myself sticking my head out of the pilot house to get a better view.

I was surprised at how quickly the old habits reappeared and I really missed being on a boat that size...

I surely do not miss the craziness of South FLA. I am sure it is worse now that when I lived there. I remember seeing a boat run into a navigation marker. Then there was the guy on a go fast boat that went speeding down a narrow water way at low tide. The channel even at high tide was smaller than his boat length and the channel twisted and turned every which way. How he did not kill himself or people on another boat amazes me.

Course, the worse thing I ever saw on a boat in South FLA, was an older, rather overweight, woman wearing a thong on the bow of the boat.

I learned to boat defensively in FLA...

The accident in dinner key is horrible but unfortunately they happen everywhere from time to time.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
From my perspective more than 99% of boaters are pretty much just a hazard to themselves.....sure they can get under your skin and certainly in your way...but a high speed collision with you would take some work on your part too.

That other 1%...especially after dark are like most terrorists...dumber than rocks but a threat to many and just pray you aren't the one boating next to them when they go boom (in all the ways boating can ruin your day).
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #25
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
After 50 years of boat ownership I have made it a practice to watch fireworks on July 4th holiday from land, at our dock, or from our private mooring in a nearby harbor. That pretty much "protects" us from the nut cases.
That's my practice.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:15 AM   #26
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
What a senseless tragedy. There's so much we don't know. And if this is typical, much of what's been printed is probably flat-out wrong.

Still, a couple of things raised my eyebrows in the published story:

Quote:
... he was leisurely motoring toward Paradise Point marina where he anchors his sailboat when he heard “a whack” about 100 yards away. When he looked up, he saw one boat speeding away from another, and then two flares go up.

Sabatier said he turned on his radio to issue “Mayday” calls.
Wait, what? He was motoring at night through a crowded area with his radio off? If that's true, then my opinion of his experience just went down quite a bit.

Quote:
“Everyone contributed their parts, but [rescuers] didn’t get there, it felt like, until forever,’’ Ortiz said. “It probably took 10 or 15 minutes.”
10 or 15 minutes? How long did they THINK it would take to get the call, get a boat underway or identify the nearest boat already underway, and transit to the scene of the accident?

If that's really a direct quote, then the person who said it has no comprehension of the fact that things are different on the water. You don't call 911 and have an ambulance pulling alongside your boat in 5 minutes.

Edit: Re-reading it, my post sounds nit-picky and cold-hearted. Neither is my intent. When something this awful happens, I always want to know why. I want details. I want something I can learn from. It's hard when all you have is newspaper reports.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #27
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Boating and IRRESPONSIBLE use of alcohol don't mix...same as always....
This needs to be repeated! Boating and the use of Alcohol are a terrible mix in other words it's an accident waiting to happen.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:28 AM   #28

City: Isleton, CA
Vessel Name: Anuenue
Vessel Model: Bayliner 2859 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Temporary 6 mph speed restriction (or Slow Speed Minimum Wake) +/-2 hours of the event time in a designated area and a little press coverage would help.
Why 6 rather than the (in my observation) customary 5?

Isleton, CA
geoffm is offline   Reply With Quote