Old 07-12-2015, 09:50 AM   #1

Possible Employment

I am looking for a job in the marine industry in the Boston area. Have every little experience in the industry, however, I did grow up around boats in Minnesota and I have plenty of experience in manual work, administrative, and service. I am a 25 year old grad student, graduating in May. Would love any direction or advice anyone has to offer.

Thanks,

Dean.

dtigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
Guru

City: gulf coast
grad student, really??? The boat industry is a genteel way to go broke.. Now if you had an oceanography degree Woods Hole Institute might be a possibility.

Thee are some remaining ship builders in the area including Electric Boat in Groton CT.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #3

Possible Employment

Ha! That's what I've heard! But, what can I say, I love the sea and I want to make it my life. Unfortunately my degree is not in oceanography...thanks for the advice though! I've been handing out resumes left and right at different dealerships and docks around the Boston area hoping to get a position where I can grown my knowledge in general. It's been a challenge so far though.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #4
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Good luck. You'll need it.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtigga View Post
I am looking for a job in the marine industry in the Boston area. Have every little experience in the industry, however, I did grow up around boats in Minnesota and I have plenty of experience in manual work, administrative, and service. I am a 25 year old grad student, graduating in May. Would love any direction or advice anyone has to offer.

Thanks,

Dean.
Why? What? What is it you see yourself doing in the industry? What are your degrees going to be in?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:34 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtigga View Post
Ha! That's what I've heard! But, what can I say, I love the sea and I want to make it my life. Unfortunately my degree is not in oceanography...thanks for the advice though! I've been handing out resumes left and right at different dealerships and docks around the Boston area hoping to get a position where I can grown my knowledge in general. It's been a challenge so far though.
Narrow it down. What are you looking to do in the marine industry?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #7
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
My job as an assistance tower is open in December....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:46 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
My job as an assistance tower is open in December....
Not that you're counting the days or months down or anything.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #9
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
If your looking for a bit of adventure get your stcw 95 and head for Ft Lauderdale. A friends son graduated college with a bad case of wanderlust and followed that track. Crewed around as a deckie for a couple years and now is a surf instructor in Costa Rica. No regrets.

Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:35 PM   #10
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
If your looking for a bit of adventure get your stcw 95 and head for Ft Lauderdale. A friends son graduated college with a bad case of wanderlust and followed that track. Crewed around as a deckie for a couple years and now is a surf instructor in Costa Rica. No regrets.

Ain't that the truth a lot of the stuff in the marine industry can't be learn't in a class room.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #11
Guru

City: Tampa
As others have asked, and I apologize if I've missed it, what is your field of study?

Why is it you want to do in the industry?
Sell boats, work on/build/repair them, sail as a merchant mariner? Please provide more detail.
Thanks.

OD
Old 07-13-2015, 08:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post
As others have asked, and I apologize if I've missed it, what is your field of study?

Why is it you want to do in the industry?
Sell boats, work on/build/repair them, sail as a merchant mariner? Please provide more detail.
Thanks.

OD

I've been studying religion and psychology. I know....completely unrelated to the industry. I want to eventually get into brokerage, first though I need to build my knowledge. That's why right now I am looking for entry level positions. At a dealer or builder would be ideal however unlikely, so I am working on trying to find anything. I'm thinking that a marina or dock in the Area just needing general yard/dock hands is looking most likely. I'm a 6'4 200 lbs guy so I'm not worried about doing work and getting a little dirty if it gets me closer to my goal. I do think my studies and experience will help me along the way however, especially in building relationships geared towards the clients satisfaction. I believe those require them trusting in me which requires integrity and knowledge. I am working on gaining and keeping both everyday.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:22 AM   #13
Guru

There are a lot of ferries and tour boats in that area. maybe they need deck hands.

Not on the selling side and reportedly very hard to get into is the port pilot business. Always local and high pay.
Tug companies are a thought too.

IMO the commercial side of the business will be better as a career than the retail side.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:59 AM   #14
Guru

If brokerage is your goal then I'd aim in that direction, not just indiscriminately in the industry. Now, I do think some basic captain skills are good for a broker as well as developing all the knowledge possible about boats. But with your education you should be able to start out on the broker side of things, assisting in some way, working in showing boats for brokers, or just come form of customer service.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #15
Guru

Unless planning on owning a marine business or going into sales...not much money and little advancement abounds.

I suggest entry level merchant mariner positions....advancement and pay are there.

Diesel mechs do well after gaining a lot of experience too.

Merchant marine jobs aren't always on "boats"...but you are on the water and it can provide adventure if that's in your spirit.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:38 AM   #16
Guru

Things you should know.

In the future you wont want to spend extended periods away from home, at sea.

A key to future success is a career where it is possible to earn money based on not just your efforts but those of others. Owning a business and management positions are examples. Individual sales is much more difficult.

Be where you want to be by age 40 because opportunities for big change are often reduced after that.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Things you should know.

In the future you wont want to spend extended periods away from home, at sea.

A key to future success is a career where it is possible to earn money based on not just your efforts but those of others. Owning a business and management positions are examples. Individual sales is much more difficult.

Be where you want to be by age 40 because opportunities for big change are often reduced after that.
Depends on the person.....
Old 07-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #18
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
This reminds me of the bumper sticker:
I'd rather be Sailing!
To which I reply, "not really - otherwise you'd be Sailing". But the sticker owner would rather have a job, raise a family, and - on the weekends or whenever - go sailing (or hang-gliding, et cetera).

In my opinion, the best way to get on the water is on your own terms, which means having your own boat - and earning your living elsewhere.
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Walk around the various boat/ship/repair yards but do your homework first. Talk to the owners/yard managers and tell them what you want to do. Sell your self. You may start off pressure washing/sanding or painting bottoms for not much more than minimum wage but you have to start somewhere. Build your connections and experience. If it's what you really want to do, with the right attitude, you'll succeed.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:40 AM   #20
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Working on boats or working at sea is really pretty miserable. It may seem glorious and fun, but once it is your job it really sucks.

Be real sure about things before you throw away the investment in those college tickets.

When growing up in the 80's, I worked in an outboard shop after classes. One mechanic there worked part time and also had graduate degrees in I think anthropology. He taught part time in his field, and just liked fixing engines. He was very good at engines, too.

This guy had a unique skill in that he came in dressed in Khakis and a nice clean shirt. And left still clean!!! He got as much work done as the rest of us, too.

I left looking like I rolled around in a shrimp boat bilge.

I think he had it figured out, on many levels. Happy dude, too. Never bitched.

Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote