Old 01-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #21
Guru

City: Tellico lake, Tn
Vessel Name: Carter's Cove II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
I have two of these. I'm not sure where they go. I do have dual stations. My lower is a standard horizon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3109920051.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	26395  

Old 01-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #22
Guru

Two of the bigger one.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #23
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
Two of the bigger one.
The smaller one is probably a temperature transducer. The larger one has no apparent through hull cross bolting and looks like an older combination fathometer / speed transducer. If it has the correct plug end, it may plug into your new unit and work ok. Garmin 2006 chartplotter was designed to be used with a sonar unit. Somewhere on your boat there is most likely a sonar module, probably a Garmin GSD20. The transducer may be plugged into that. I'm not familiar with a Garmin 740 and don't know if it will run off the GSD20. That would be a question for Garmin Customer Service, but I would think you would want to connect the transducer directly to your new unit.

But as someone else has pointed out, it won't give you the performance of a new dual frequency transducer. Your Garmin 740 is capable of up to 1 KW operation and will provide you much greater sensitivity and definition. I would replace it at your earliest opportunity.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Most modern transducers are powerful enough to just be mounted inside and shoot through the hull...no special ducer needed.

When I was doing my bottom over..I just yanked the old ducer and filled in the hole....never even planned on putting the new "through hull" ducer through the hull as I really don't need the sensitivity of a fishfinder in a trawler.

My plan exactly and the existing transducer is on the stern of my boat That is about the only really quirky choice I've found on my boat. Not sure what brainiac convinced the previous owner to mount a ducer on the stern? Especially in my skinny water.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Most modern transducers are powerful enough to just be mounted inside and shoot through the hull...no special ducer needed.

....never even planned on putting the new "through hull" ducer through the hull as I really don't need the sensitivity of a fishfinder in a trawler.
One of those "Aha!" moments for me, reading that. Right. All I need is to see the depth of the water, and could not care less about the contours of the bottom nor of all the critters down there. May they swim in peace -- I will eat their kin in restaurants with great enjoyment, but they can swim underneath my boat in perfect safety. :-)
Old 01-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #26
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
The big one looks like an Airmar transducer, with a water speed paddle wheel. There should be a number on a tag on the cable somewhere, usually close to the td. It could be a 600 or possibly a 1000 watt, or a tilted element unit. Unless it is on a fairly flat (horizontal) surface I would guess it is a tilted element unit, lack of an inside fairing block anyway.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
The big one looks like an Airmar transducer, with a water speed paddle wheel. There should be a number on a tag on the cable somewhere, usually close to the td. It could be a 600 or possibly a 1000 watt, or a tilted element unit. Unless it is on a fairly flat (horizontal) surface I would guess it is a tilted element unit, lack of an inside fairing block anyway.
It is on an angle and it has a twin on the other side of the bildge. What is a tilted element. I have plastic pieces about 6" long that look like they go into this unit as a blank. It would be nice if I could somehow ping the wires to find out which one goes to which sonar or gps.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
The smaller one is probably a temperature transducer. The larger one has no apparent through hull cross bolting and looks like an older combination fathometer / speed transducer. If it has the correct plug end, it may plug into your new unit and work ok. Garmin 2006 chartplotter was designed to be used with a sonar unit. Somewhere on your boat there is most likely a sonar module, probably a Garmin GSD20. The transducer may be plugged into that. I'm not familiar with a Garmin 740 and don't know if it will run off the GSD20. That would be a question for Garmin Customer Service, but I would think you would want to connect the transducer directly to your new unit. But as someone else has pointed out, it won't give you the performance of a new dual frequency transducer. Your Garmin 740 is capable of up to 1 KW operation and will provide you much greater sensitivity and definition. I would replace it at your earliest opportunity.
The sonar is a Garmin 240
Old 01-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
The sonar is a Garmin 240
fish finder 240
Old 01-04-2014, 10:42 PM   #30
Guru

Ok. . . If you don't have a GSD 20 or later (pictured) then it doesn't sound like the previous owner installed and connected the transducer to the Garmin 2006 and he had a separate fathometer Garmin 240 connected to one of the large transducers and your flybridge fathometer attached to the other. Is that a correct assumption? This is all obsolete (non supported) equipment now, so you need to decide what you want to do with all the old gear. Remove it or if it still works, keep it in place as a back up??? What were you planning?

If you can connect the old transducer to the Garmin 740 it may be all you need for now. But you have some choices to make. If you're not sure, maybe you should have somebody knowledgeable come aboard, inventory your electronics and give you some ideas.

The plastic blanks you have are used to replace the paddle wheel speed sensor. You unscrew the large plastic cap nut on top of the transducer and using the metal ring pull out the plastic paddle wheel speed sensor shaft. The plastic blank is placed back into the transducer tube and the cap nut screwed back down to keep water from entering the bilge. Sometimes the paddle wheel gets fouled or broken and it needs to be serviced. In the Garmin owners manual they actually recommend that you remove the paddle wheel sensor when the boat is not in use. I've removed mine once since installing it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gsd20.gif
Views:	60
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	26412  
Old 01-04-2014, 11:58 PM   #31
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
A tilted element transducer has the element inside mounted at an angle appropriate to the hull angle or close anyway. They dont require a fairing block.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:46 AM   #32
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
many times people install regular transducers (not tilted ones) even on a slight vee...say up to say 10 degrees...they work just the same with just a tiny error unless you are doing more than 20 degree rolls.

The angled beam of the fishfinder is enough to overlap the vee of the hull and a fishfinder reports whtever enters the beam first so even on a pretty good angle they still work fine....not the best but fine.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #33
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I have 2 inside T'ducers. One , a Garmin, came with an angled mounting pipe. You just twist it until the right angle arrives, epoxy it to the inside of the hull, insert the T'ducer.
The other, Humminbird, came as a transom mount. For $2.00 I bought a chunk of ABS sewer pipe big enough to hold the T'ducer, cut it to th eright angle and epoxied it to th ehull. Works great. That one goes to my fish finder and shows everything I need down to 600 ft.. Also gives me temp, as the hull inside is the same temp as the water outside.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:09 PM   #34
Guru

Unless your through hull style transducer is a "tilted angle" transducer, it should be mounted on an angle cut fairing block to cancel out your hull angle. If your transducer comes with a fitted fairing block, it needs to be sliced horizontally in half, band saw works good, at the angle of your hull. The outer half (with the transducer pocket) is placed between the outer hull and the transducer. The inner half is mounted on the inside of the hull over the transducer stem with sealer and bolted down (see picture). Most of the installation can be done DIY, but cutting of the supplied fairing block is best left to someone familiar with hull angles and band saws. . . It's a one shot deal !!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	transducer2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	26430  
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #35
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
While normally fairing blocks are used...they don't have to be if you chech the angle of the ducer beam and the bottom of your hull...if enough overlap is available, the ducer works fine.

It can also be mounted in the hull the same way or some liquid containment product that can make the mount more vertical can be used instead.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
I found the paper work on one of the transducers. It's a airman b44. I'm hoping it will work with my 740. I see it should be rebuilt yearly an it doesn't look like it will be to hard if I can get the parts.