Old 03-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #41
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
So let's say I found an interesting, very capable blue water boat in Portland that's a real steal, but I need to get it to the Gulf Coast.

How much does that cost me to have it professionally delivered, and what kind of time frame are we talking about ?

Or, is this something I could conceive of doing myself if I get some qualified help, say maybe over the summer? I have only a little open water experience. Anyone wanna sign up for this trip? :-) Looking for ideas...
I'd truck it from Portland across the northern tier states and either drop it in the Mississippi...probably at Minneapolis, or launch it at the port of your choice on either Lake Superior or Lake Michigan. Then take it south on her own bottom....either down the Mississippi or via the East Coast. Arguably the most cost effective/most fun combination/tradeoff. There's a very competent boat transport company in Menominee, Michigan that would likely find a return load from the PNW to their home base very appealing. (no affiliation)

Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #42
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
So let's say I found an interesting, very capable blue water boat in Portland that's a real steal, but I need to get it to the Gulf Coast.

How much does that cost me to have it professionally delivered, and what kind of time frame are we talking about ?

Or, is this something I could conceive of doing myself if I get some qualified help, say maybe over the summer? I have only a little open water experience. Anyone wanna sign up for this trip? :-) Looking for ideas...
If this was Portland main, you could move it yourself. Portland Oregon, unless it can be shipped by truck, I seriously doubt you could save enough money buying the boat to pay for transporting it.

Shop locally, you'll do better.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #43
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Yeah, I finally woke up and came to my senses. It was a cheaper $85k boat, and that's just too far away.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #44
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I had the same issues when I was looking for a new ASD. The east coast had lots of nice boats, but I finally found one in Oakley CA. Be patient and the right boat will present itself. We you and the admiral look at a boat and both of you look at each other and say "WOW" then you have found the right boat.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #45
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I had the same issues when I was looking for a new ASD. The east coast had lots of nice boats, but I finally found one in Oakley CA. Be patient and the right boat will present itself. We you and the admiral look at a boat and both of you look at each other and say "WOW" then you have found the right boat.
Yes, I hear you-- patience
Grasshopper. Seems like I've been looking forever however...

cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote