Old 03-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #21
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
My boat never comes home. She is on the East coast, and that's where I want it. It's not that hard to do. We just hire a local captain to check on the boat and move it if necessary. There are many good facilities up around Anacortes. What a great opportunity to cruise up there. After you are comfortable with the boat you could decide how to bring it home. Taking it home in segments could be doable. Trip of a lifetime kind of thing.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #22
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Now there's a thought...

There are not many interesting cruising destinations near me at all. Galveston? Port Aransas? Our water is warm however....
We live in AZ and keep our MV in the PNW. In our marina there are many boats from TX, AZ, DE, UT and other states doing exactly as PK suggests.

But the PNW is very busy, lots of logs and fog, pirates and crowded with the water temps barely above freezing, so on second thought ------------ stay on the Gulf Coast where life is much better and one can enjoy a bow rider.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
We figure by the time we get a boat home to Fort Lauderdale from Washington it will have traveled between 9000 and 10,000 miles. But meanwhile we will have seen areas we've never seen. Having always lived on the East Coast it will be an incredible experience. We will take breaks and spend time at home. Probably do Alaska, Canada, and the Seattle area for a couple of months then home. Then back to explore California, leave it probably in San Diego and fly home. Then around and maybe Jamaica and the Grand Caymens. Home again. Then another two month on the water to get home. We're talking the better part of a year. Much like doing the Great Loop, just doing a different route and area.

Now we do have the luxury of time.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #24
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Cardude-you are in a bit of a difficult situation. If the boat is too big to truck (the best option), you either ship it or take it on its own bottom. For shipping to a US port (Houston/Galveston), your only West Coast departure options are Vancouver or Ensenada, Mex. Jones Act limitations. So, you still have to get it up the coast to Vancouver. Cost as deck cargo, using Peters & May is going to be substantial, $45k-60K depending on size. Taking the trip your elf through the Canal is a long, long trip as has been noted. A great trip, but in the best of circumstances, with limited stayovers and no major issues, a 3 month trip- a few stopovers and it can easily be 5-6 months or more. A captain w/2 more crew? Maybe 60-75 days at best. A wild guess for paid delivery maybe $35-35K? The last two options will also require paying expenses of the boat for the trip.

How much is the boat worth? Is the deal good enough that adding $30-60K to the purchase price is feasible? Shipping a $2M boat may make some sense, shipping a $200K boat makes much less sense.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #25
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Here's another thought....cruise it from Portland, OR down to San Diego then truck it to the Gulf. Launch it somewhere on the gulf and cruise it home from there.

RE: Prior comments about your boat being too big to truck. Bunk. We trucked our 550 Sea Ray Sedan Bridge boat from Detroit to Portland, OR.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #26
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Maybe we could get together a bunch of Trawler Forum members and take turns bringing the sucker around. It would be a way for everyone to get a little bit of an interesting cruise under their belts on my dime. I would pay for the boat expenses and everyone takes care of their own travel expenses and whatnot.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
...So let's say I found an interesting, very capable blue water boat in Portland that's a real steal, but I need to get it to the Gulf Coast. ...
Without giving it away, what is the size and the displacement of the boat? We're all stabbing in the dark here.

Given the right boat, location and time line... Lena and I have done a couple deliveries for expenses.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Without giving it away, what is the size and the displacement of the boat? We're all stabbing in the dark here. Given the right boat, location and time line... Lena and I have done a couple deliveries for expenses.
I sent you a PM
Old 03-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Without giving it away, what is the size and the displacement of the boat? We're all stabbing in the dark here. Given the right boat, location and time line... Lena and I have done a couple deliveries for expenses.
P.m. sent
Old 03-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Given the right boat, location and time line... Lena and I have done a couple deliveries for expenses.
I dunno Larry. If the MV has active stabilizers, twins and a "square" transom immersed a few inches in the water that could be a pretty steep learning curve.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:58 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
I dunno Larry. If the MV has active stabilizers, twins and a "square" transom immersed a few inches in the water that could be a pretty steep learning curve.
Good one!
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Lol. Oh no. It's not that fancy.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #33

City: Vancouver BC
Quote:
But the PNW is very busy, lots of logs and fog, pirates and crowded with the water temps barely above freezing, so on second thought ------------ stay on the Gulf Coast where life is much better and one can enjoy a bow rider.
Pirates in the PNW? huh?
vwDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwDavid View Post
Pirates in the PNW? huh?
Yes, I'd like to hear him elaborate on that one too. Will the next movie be "Pirates of the Pacific North West?"
Old 03-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #35
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
This just in!
Attached Images

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #36
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
What? No swimming and water just above freezing? Really? I guess I should have known that before I jumped in the warm waters in bays of desolution sound...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	desolation-sound-prideaux-haven02-682x1024.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	28501  
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
What? No swimming and water just above freezing? Really? I guess I should have known that before I jumped in the warm waters in bays of desolution sound...
Wifey B: Yes, you should have...bad bad bad.....hehe

Now seriously, what you might consider warm, might not be something those of us from more tropical climates might consider warm. I'm very much looking forward to Alaska this summer, but doubt seriously that I'm going to be jumping into the water. Or, if I do, doubt I'll stay more than a few seconds.

Although now that I'm suddenly informed of pirates, maybe I will need to jump in. I know that will make me safe because, a little known fact, pirates are very scared of the cold, especially cold water. It dates back to a story that predates even Blackbeard where pirates went after a ship and in boarding it, tipped it over so they all fell into the water. They froze in place as the boat righted itself and those aboard the boat pulled off. They were unable to move and slowly sank, never to be seen again. So, saying, just in case of pirates, I'll be diving in.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post

Shhh, SeaDuction. The Vancouver based Somali immigrants to the PNW pirates captured this lady after she dared show skin. That is after the ice bergs left Desolation Sound in August. I forgot to mention there are no fuel stops beyond Seattle and food for replenishing cannot be found north of Spy's Powell River location.

Where is Marin when he is needed to speak to the unbelievable horrors of the PNW?
Old 03-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #39
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Shhh, SeaDuction. The Vancouver based Somali immigrants to the PNW pirates captured this lady after she dared show skin. That is after the ice bergs left Desolation Sound in August. I forgot to mention there are no fuel stops beyond Seattle and food for replenishing cannot be found north of Spy's Powell River location.

Where is Marin when he is needed to speak to the unbelievable horrors of the PNW?
Good try. We had people murdering tourists on the Interstate, and that didn't even stop them coming along with the urban sprawl in their wake. Sewage spills, unbearable traffic, rapist turtles, alligators snatching joggers off of sidewalks, and giant snakes eating pets- all unfortunarely just attracted a tougher crowd.
Although I heard rumors of seals and walruses having strapped on IEDs up there, along with a gazillion cruise ships dumping fat sweaty tourists along with their sewage into quaint little towns. That help?

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #40
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
Good try. We had people murdering tourists on the Interstate, and that didn't even stop them coming along with the urban sprawl in their wake. Sewage spills, unbearable traffic, rapist turtles, alligators snatching joggers off of sidewalks, and giant snakes eating pets- all unfortunarely just attracted a tougher crowd.
Although I heard rumors of seals and walruses having strapped on IEDs up there, along with a gazillion cruise ships dumping fat sweaty tourists along with their sewage into quaint little towns. That help?

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote