Old 05-31-2016, 10:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Shelter Bay
Vessel Name: Little Missy
Vessel Model: CHB
Portland to Friday harbor

Hello Newbie here!
I'm looking at purchasing a 1976 34 foot CHB in Portland and I need to get it to Friday Harbor. We have been out of the boating world for about 13 years and moved to Friday Harbor about 1 year ago. I have found a CHB in Portland that I am very interested in but getting it here is a little intimidating for a few reasons. Not knowing the boat and setting out on a open ocean adventure scares me a bit, as well as lack of experience in the blue water!
I was thinking of perhaps hiring a captain to lead me along the way. I thought this would give me a opportunity to get to know the boat and get my feet wet so to speak!!!!
Can anyone offer any ideas or perhaps a patient captain!
Island15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:09 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Buy it FOB Friday Harbour?
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:37 PM   #3

City: West Vancouver
Vessel Name: Ka Hale Kai
Vessel Model: 52' Cheoy Lee
Experience is one challenge that can be addressed with a captain - as you note.

A new boat and not knowing the current and possible mechanical gremlins could the game changer for me.

Or get it trucked?
nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:39 PM   #4

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
I can recommend an excellent/patient/teaching Captain located in Longview, Wa. He runs from Cape Disappointment up to the Straights of Juan De Fuca quite often, and in fact is up there now. Pvt me and I'll give you his contact info., or have him contact you. He is a licensed Captain for anything from Commercial Tugs to Passenger liners.
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for the quick responses.
Does anyone have a guess at the cost to truck it?
wyoboater I will pm you in a minute. Thanks
Old 05-31-2016, 11:52 PM   #6
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
I'd guess somewhere in the 5k range. Associated Boat Transportation Marysville or Dudley's in Marysville are 2 local companies that truck boats from Portland to Puget Sound on a regular basis.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:57 AM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I used Dudley's to transport a 40' sailboat from Marina Del Rey to Tacoma 6 years ago. The cost was about 10k. You could truck the boat to any city on Puget Sound.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:01 PM   #8
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Island, if you're going to truck it, have them haul it to Olympia for you, then you and a captain take the boat up to Friday Harbor. That way you'll avoid the open water cruising that you'd get along the coast yet you will still have a captain on board for a couple of days to get it up to Friday Harbor.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Island, if you're going to truck it, have them haul it to Olympia for you, then you and a captain take the boat up to Friday Harbor. That way you'll avoid the open water cruising that you'd get along the coast yet you will still have a captain on board for a couple of days to get it up to Friday Harbor.
Swan town is a good place to splash a boat in Olympia. That idea would also give you the chance to see the South Sound, an area too often neglected by boaters.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:47 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
...Associated Boat Transportation Marysville or Dudley's in Marysville are 2 local companies that truck boats from Portland to Puget Sound on a regular basis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Good suggestions and from Olympia to FH, commercial tow boat insurance is available.

Do have a slip locked up? There always seems to be a shortage.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have received a bid for the trucking, about 3K seems a bit steep but i suppose it is a lot of work. They would need front and back pilot cars as well as so dis assembly of the bridge, the boat is to tall! I really don't want to take the boat apart.
So it looks like we might get to go for a boat ride!
Old 06-01-2016, 04:23 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
I'd get another bid maybe unless you really want the boat ride which could be lots of fun and adventure.

We had a 1981 34 Mainship trucked from Oceanside, CA to Tacoma and only had to take the fly bridge wind screen off.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #13

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
I'd get another bid maybe unless you really want the boat ride which could be lots of fun and adventure.
Larry is being very "nice" about it. If you decide to do it on her own bottom, you really want to brush up on your weather skills and be patient for a sufficient window. Getting caught out in these waters, with a boat like that, would get quite ugly. The Pacific is not to be trifled with.

$3,000 is nothing compared to the damage one can do to a boat out there.

Also, turning the corner at Cape Flattery doesn't mean you are out of danger. Study up on the commercial lanes in the Strait. Boating along with 900' freighters going 20+ knots is "interesting."

My apologies if you are already up to snuff on all this. Just passing along helpful info as I have done it quite a few times. Note the level horizon in the through the stern shot. This is a boat that weighs 120 tons.
Attached Thumbnails
pacific-5841.jpg   pacific-5835.jpg  
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:25 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Yikes. Now that's a good illustration right there. Reminds me of the night on one of our Alaska cruises out of WA where we slept on the floor because the bed had no side nets - and that boat was 60,000 tons.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:37 PM   #15
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
For 3K I would truck it for certain. I too thought about a boat in Portland, maybe the same one, but in the end opted for one nearer to home in Bellingham, a less than 4 hour cruise. Lots of not fun things can happen in the open ocean on a strange boat, and its strange to the hired skipper too. You would want to spend some money on it first in Portland making it ready and really going over it.
Things like tank condition, fuel age, all filters etc. Truck it home. I learned on my boat that "turn key" is boat broker hype baloney.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #16
Guru

One of the best rides I ever took was on a 40' troller just off Flattery. Literally standing on the PH walls on the rolls!
Old 06-01-2016, 06:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I think you guys have convinced me to truck it, if I move forward.
Although I'm sure it would be a great learning experience.
But I'd be puking like the dog that ate the toad in sea's like that picture
Old 06-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #18

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island15 View Post
I think you guys have convinced me to truck it, if I move forward.
Although I'm sure it would be a great learning experience.
But I'd be puking like the dog that ate the toad in sea's like that picture
Good lad! Wise choice. You'll have plenty of time to go play in the Pacific if you want to.
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:40 PM   #19
Guru

City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
$3,000 is nothing compared to the damage one can do to a boat out there.

Also, turning the corner at Cape Flattery doesn't mean you are out of danger.
What he said!

I've been beat up going around the outside, and I've seen first hand what the North Pacific can do to a boat (& crew) overnight out there, not pretty! Those "experiences" are burned into my memory forever!

Truck it to Oly, start having fun from there. No shame in that.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #20
Guru

Not to mention the costs involved. While you may not spend 3K if all goes well, your hired captain does not work for free. You have fuel, groceries and repairs, plus if things go south out there and they often do, it can end up costing you a whole lot more than 3K. Its still early on the coast, weather can be beautiful or nasty and change very quickly. I think you will sleep better with the idea of trucking it home. I well remember coming up the coast from Astoria on a 105' tug with a barge in tow and seeing some of the biggest swells in my life out there. Swells running up to 30 feet high, and it wasn't even winter time. We rolled our guts out. I was mate that trip and the skipper didn't get along well with rolly seas. I was hungry and came up on watch with a big greasy meatball sandwich, whereupon the poor captain threw the PH door open and lost his dinner right there! I don't think he ever quite forgave me for that one.