Old 06-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #41
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I wouldn't do it with a new to me boat unless:

1) I knew the fuel tanks and fuel to be spotlessly clean. Even then I would take a bunch of fuel filters and make sure I could change them AND bleed the engine.

2) I had checked over all the electronics and critical wiring to make sure everything was working properly. I would still carry backups for critical components (gps, vhf, etc).

3) I would make sure all thru-hulls were sound and functioning properly. I would also consider replacing all hoses connected to thru-hulls that needed to be open as well as all on-engine hoses. I would also replace raw water impellers, do an oil and filter change AND a transmission oil change. Change all fuel filters (myself - see #1). Carry spare at least 4 spares for each fuel filter as well as spare oil filters and enough oil for an oil change. I would change the antifreeze in the engines and carry enough spare anti-freeze for another complete change.

4) Before heading north I would make the run down to Astoria, cross the bar, drive around outside a bit and come back in across the bar. If I had any boat problems I would either get them fixed or reconsider taking the boat up outside.

As far as cost goes, a captain is going to cost you around $250 a day (minimum) plus meals etc.. If all goes well you are looking at three long days with stops in Westport and Neah Bay/Port Angeles minimum. So the minimum cost for a captain will be around $1K and potentially quite a bit more if you have to wait out weather or have repairs made. On top of that you have your fuel costs. You might get by on a bit less if the run is made non-stop, but then your captain would probably want at least one crew ($200 a day more).

Overall, the 3-4 hour truck run from Portland to Olympia looks like a pretty good deal from both the cost and wear and tear perspectives. When I bought my boat 9 years ago the 75 mile truck trip from where I bought it to home cost about $700, but we didn't need lead or follow cars.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #42
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We're combining a lot of elements here. Let's go one by one as to the factors.
You did a good job of breaking this down but it really comes down to two things;
Wet or dry relocation.
We can debate the Pacific along with anchors and coffee but, bottom line is prudence and given what we are told, a $3,000 (cheap) truck ride is the wisest, in this instance.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:36 PM   #43

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Seems like yesterday we were cheering on this couple...
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...tez-21624.html

What were we thinking?
Note first sentence of third paragraph:

We just came back from three weeks of cruising the Gulf Islands to "shakeout" the boat and figure out what else was needed before we depart.

We can settle this! Who volunteers to crew with our intrepid skipper?
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #44

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
Island 15. Call the number I gave you........that is an EXTREMELY competent, experienced Captain. If he doesn't feel the vessel is safe for the journey, it won't go. If HE doesn't feel the weather is right, IT WON"T GO. If HE doesn't feel you are ready for it either it or YOU won't go. That's how he works. Call the number, get his perspective. The call is free.
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #45
Veteran Member

City: Shelter Bay
Vessel Name: Little Missy
Vessel Model: CHB
Thanks wyoboater. I will give them a call. I hadn't called because you mentioned that they wouldn't be available until August, I hope this doesn't take that long!
Island15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #46
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
We can debate the Pacific along with anchors and coffee but, bottom line is prudence and given what we are told, a $3,000 (cheap) truck ride is the wisest, in this instance.
Cheapest. I won't agree to wisest. Wisest is based on many things and is a personal choice. We could have shipped a boat from Washington to Fort Lauderdale for many thousands less than it cost to take it on it's own bottom but wouldn't have been nearly the experience.

However, if he's looking for cost, I'd say grab the $3k deal and do it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #47

City: Port Moody
Vessel Name: Twilight1
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
However, if he's looking for cost, I'd say grab the $3k deal and do it.
No question. I used Uship from NJ to Anacortes, and would suggest the same here. It won't cost much more to just get the boat home, and work out the bugs first. You have all summer to cruise, spend a little time messing about beforehand.

Your boating companion(s) might appreciate your discretion.
djones44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #48
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Without pointing any fingers and I am not, just making an observation for the OP more than anything else. He who in any way scoffs at the ocean and its potential for hazard has never been out there when its actually rough, unlike the video above which is an ocean nearly at rest. I have seen it absolutely flat calm, not a breath of wind and glassy, but that is extremely rare. I have also seen it under pretty nasty conditions while on much larger boats than we are talking about here, but most of the time its somewhere in between, usually a little lumpy and depending on the time of year, breezy to windy. I think most on this thread feel in this particular instance the OP would be wiser to truck it, though I didn't do a head count. Plenty of time for ocean cruising later on. For my money I want no part of the ocean for fun, because it really isn't that much fun, unless you like rolling around and picking up broken pieces, and cooking while seasick.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #49
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
Island15, you’ve gotten lots of excellent advice here. For what it’s worth in your case I line up with the ship it voices. Especially if you’re thinking you might save a few bucks by running her up the coast.

I haven’t read every post in this thread so I apologize if I’m repeating other’s advice here…..

If you do decide to run her up the coast in addition to the advice already given avoid Willapa Bay and La Push. Without local knowledge and lots of experience those are very dangerous entrances. And carry lots of spare fuel filters. A boat that hasn’t seen rough water in years and hasn’t had her tanks cleaned will very likely plug fuel filters about as fast as you can change them. Polishing the fuel, while a good idea, is not the same as tank cleaning which gets out the sludge accumulated at the bottom of the tanks.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #50
Veteran Member

I have to say when I posted this I wasn't sure anyone would respond or care. Well after 48 post I just wanted to say you guys are great! I'm still not sure of how I will get the boat here if I do purchase it.
But you have given me a lot to thing about and some great advice!
THANKS
Old 06-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #51

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
+1 @78puget!
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #52
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
W He who in any way scoffs at the ocean and its potential for hazard has never been out there when its actually rough,
I don't believe anyone here has scoffed at the ocean. It's potential for hazard is great. There are a lot of conditions in which no one should willingly be on it. Fortunately, it can also be very enjoyable in other conditions. In this case neither the owner or the boat is prepared for it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:05 PM   #53
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island15 View Post
I have to say when I posted this I wasn't sure anyone would respond or care. Well after 48 post I just wanted to say you guys are great! I'm still not sure of how I will get the boat here if I do purchase it.
But you have given me a lot to thing about and some great advice!
THANKS
Folks tend to get interested when people are looking to make a purchase and, at least on the West Coast, the idea of going off shore always generates interest.

One additional thought... My insurance policy only covers me for the Puget Sound and BC waters, not West of Cape Flattery or West of Nigie Island. Now, I can buy a rider for that if I ever want to go beyond those areas, but the insurance company would want to be sure the boat was setup for it. In your case, it might be easier and cheaper to insure the boat when it is simply splashed in Puget Sound.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #54
Veteran Member

FYI, I just received a proposal that I think is much more reasonable and if I move forward I will be going on the hard! (Around $1,650)
Old 06-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island15 View Post
FYI, I just received a proposal that I think is much more reasonable and if I move forward I will be going on the hard! (Around $1,650)
That sounds like a pretty amazing price.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-02-2016, 05:17 PM   #56

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Maybe this was already covered, but if not:
What is the cost of FB removal? What is the cost of FB reinstallation? Who is going to do the work? You might consider having whoever takes it off be the one who puts it back together. It's only a short drive from Oly to Portland and I would have the work done in Oly because if you need to go back for warranty work, you don't have to go outside.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #57
Guru

I may have missed it if it was already covered, but does the FB have to be removed? It may be possible to route it to Oly without removing the FB. I have no idea what the air height is.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #58
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Folks tend to get interested when people are looking to make a purchase and, at least on the West Coast, the idea of going off shore always generates interest.

One additional thought... My insurance policy only covers me for the Puget Sound and BC waters, not West of Cape Flattery or West of Nigie Island. Now, I can buy a rider for that if I ever want to go beyond those areas, but the insurance company would want to be sure the boat was setup for it. In your case, it might be easier and cheaper to insure the boat when it is simply splashed in Puget Sound.
Great point. We had to get a rider when we brought our boat up from SF Bay. Now I'd have to call if I want to again venture out of Puget Sound. (Maybe someday circumnavigate Vancouver Island, but that's only a dream)

Mr. Island, take the land deal. Plenty of time for adventure after you're here!
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:58 PM   #59
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
I would also check with Captain Richard Rodriguez regarding delivery up the coast. He just made this trip a few days ago on an 84 grand banks for a customer. You can contact him quickly through his bitter end blog on Facebook.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #60

City: Rapid City, SD heading back to the PNW
Through this whole thread, people keep talking about going from Portland to Oly. Why not start from Longview, Wa.? you will miss at least three overpasses.
mramoo is offline   Reply With Quote