Old 06-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island15;
I have received a bid for the trucking, about 3K.
3 grand doesn't sound all that unreasonable.

Check and double check your height, get another quote and question the trailer they will use. Short haul like that you should be able to polish the I5 concrete with the trailer.

Otherwise, a little detour might help keep the bridge on. Good chance you might get off easy like Larry with his Mainship.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:20 PM   #22
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Jesus you guys make the Washington coast sound like the Bearing Sea...yes it CAN be brutal..it can also be a great trip..but you have to play the weather. I guess its all about prespective.
Should a new, unseasoned skipper just cross the bar and turn N.W. ...not a great idea.

But its not jumping into a pack of starving Rottweiler's with a t bone in your teeth either

Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:24 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Jesus you guys make the Washington coast sound like the Bearing Sea...yes it CAN be brutal..it can also be a great trip..but you have to play the weather. I guess its all about prespective.
Should a new, unseasoned skipper just cross the bar and turn N.W. ...not a great idea.

But its not jumping into a pack of starving Rottweiler's with a t bone in your teeth either

Hollywood
Oh boy, what a good laff.
Thank you.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:30 PM   #24
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Well it can be brutal. As I said it can also be nice, but I also remember my dad warning on two different occasions guys to not take small craft down the coast in the winter time. Both boats were lost with all hands. Yes, this is not winter time as I also said, but its still a lot of big blue water out there and it can really blow. Some here may remember the Columbus Day storm of '62. I do. The whole west coast was a disaster area. The problem with "playing the weather", is that like any open ocean scenario you can leave on a good forecast and still get hammered. What happens is when it turns sour, guys want to head in, big mistake, the bars are what get you. Stay offshore. But why take a chance on a small, strange, untried boat? No thanks. My dad who plied his trade as a mariner for over 50 years used to say, " call me chicken if you like, I'm still here, and a lot of brave guys I knew are not".
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:37 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Shelter Bay
Vessel Name: Little Missy
Vessel Model: CHB
One more question does anyone out there know the exact height of the CHB I have looked high and low and can't find it?

Just so you don't think I'm crazy the only way I would do this is to be in port every night, watch the weather like a hawk and take as many days as needed too be safe!

Thanks again guys!
Island15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:44 PM   #26
Guru

JustBob;
I smile every time I see your avatar.
You as a young 'n' or one of yours?
Either way, it's cool.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:52 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island15 View Post
One more question does anyone out there know the exact height of the CHB I have looked high and low and can't find it?

Just so you don't think I'm crazy the only way I would do this is to be in port every night, watch the weather like a hawk and take as many days as needed too be safe!

Thanks again guys!
I found 14.0 feet but don't rely on that. If all else fails go find one in a yard. Or, make the broker/owner work for their money.

I'll look some more.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:05 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island15 View Post
Old but might point you somewhere.
https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/gr...s/topics/15598
Old 06-01-2016, 11:19 PM   #30
Guru

Perspective you say? You want perspective? Like the BERING SEA you say? Have a look at this old newspaper photo clipping from some years back. Yes, it is a winter storm, but don't let anyone tell you the Pacific doesn't get real nasty sometimes.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160601_0001.jpg  
Old 06-02-2016, 09:36 AM   #31
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I don't want to talk you out of taking her around the coast of WA, but here's a video I shot while taking a boat from Seattle to Stockton, CA.

This was shot as we headed down the coast. Keep in mind that this was on a 60' boat.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #32
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Well this fellow wasn't swayed by the apocalypse. Tempting the gods worked out OK. Do what feels right to you, if you don't have the time, money, or inclination then sail her up I5.

Good luck!

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...tez-21624.html
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:53 AM   #33

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
JustBob;
I smile every time I see your avatar.
You as a young 'n' or one of yours?
Either way, it's cool.
It's actually me, on my dad's 42' Owens Aruba. I could drive that thing all day and he was happy to let me, most of the time. Thank you for your comment!

Here is the full shot, as you can see my brother, two years younger is along. Last year on my charter boat we tried to recreate the shot.
Attached Thumbnails
bobreidboating-.jpg   bobreidnow-1010945.jpg  
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
I don't want to talk you out of taking her around the coast of WA, but here's a video I shot while taking a boat from Seattle to Stockton, CA.

This was shot as we headed down the coast. Keep in mind that this was on a 60' boat.

This is a fairly nice day on the ocean shown here. Not even sloppy. You would of course find it less than pleasant perhaps in a 34 CHB but the conditions are actually good.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
Well this fellow wasn't swayed by the apocalypse. Tempting the gods worked out OK. Do what feels right to you, if you don't have the time, money, or inclination then sail her up I5.

Good luck!

Pooh pooh and make jokes all you want to. Doesn't alter the fact that a new skipper with a new boat that was not designed for ocean cruising should think (and he has) long and hard about doing this. It just makes little sense.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:27 AM   #36
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Despite the scary weather, when I was considering bring my new sailboat up from SoCal it really came down to time and money.

Finding the right weather window is key. I couldn't afford to sit for weeks waiting for weather. The other issue is the added cost of commissioning a new to me boat for an open water trip. Frankly the gear and equipment appropriate for the Salish Sea is not the same as running up the West Coast. Granted, Pdx to Friday Harbor is a much shorter trip, but the boat you are considering is a much older vessel.

So unless you have all the time in the world, and are willing to do some work on the boat before you leave, I think that trucking is a great option.

Olympia, Swantown Marina & Boatworks | Port of Olympia, WA - Official Website
Tacoma, Hylebos Marina

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #37
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
We're combining a lot of elements here. Let's go one by one as to the factors.

1. Inexperienced owner and boat new to him. Well, the inexperienced owner part can be overcome with an experienced captain. As to the boat, I'd want a shakedown cruise or two. I'd cruise to Astoria and then go outside and run it a while if it handled that ok. Back to Astoria. Repeat if necessary. Then consider the trip.

2. Cruising the coast. There are many ways to do that. Yes, you can go 100 miles offshore and do it 24/7 and ignore all conditions, never paying attention to the weather. You can be as irresponsible as you want to be. However, you can plan carefully and take extra precaution. Most of the trip you can find a marina for night. The one night or so you can't, you can find a decent anchorage. You can sit as long as needed along the way. The stories of storms coming up out of nowhere is a time without all the forecasting and tracking we have today. They can still sometimes come up quickly, but getting caught out in one really shouldn't happen on a trip this short. For extra precaution you stay in if at all concerned. If a storm is forecast for tomorrow but predicted to be relatively mild, perhaps you stay in anyway, just in case it's greater than predicted.

3. Cost and convenience. There it's how you want to spend your money. Not a lot of difference in cost of transporting by land vs. water when all is added up. I'd rather spend my money boating. You might rather spend it shipping.

For those of us use to seeing one town run into the next and development all along the route, the beauty of the coast is magnificent. I don't think it's possible to perceive it from land as you can from the water. So natural and so relatively untouched. Miles and miles of nothing. May seem boring to some, but beautiful to us. And the sea full of so much to observe.

In 2014, we made many trips up and down that coastal area. Conditions varied widely. We had 10' swells that were amazingly calm with 13 second periods and we saw 4-6' wind waves that kept everyone in port. In addition to all the weather information available, the Coast Guard gives great information on conditions, especially of every bar.

If you show the sea proper respect, you won't need to fear it. While I wouldn't advise an inexperienced boater to head out on his own up the coast in a boat he just got and doesn't really know, I certainly wouldn't advise people that the area along there is so treacherous no one should ever transit it. The truth is in between. Then it comes down to a personal choice.

This isn't a trip to be taken lightly, but it's also not Cape Horn.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:32 AM   #38
Guru

Mr 78, bang your head against the wall all you want. With a skipper, good weather, the boat sorted, there's little risk, and a great adventure.

I would suggest the OP join the CHB owners Yahoo group and ask questions there on how much of a coastal cruiser the 34 is.

Cheers
Old 06-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #39
Guru

Sometimes the coast looks like this.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner;
With a skipper, good weather, the boat sorted, there's little risk, and a great adventure.
Seems like yesterday we were cheering on this couple...

What were we thinking?