Old 07-14-2015, 07:08 AM   #21
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
I agree with cmgreeniv. We have 480 watts of solar on a 36' boat and almost never run the genny to recharge batteries and we live aboard full time on a mooring. You said your boat was 70' long and a keeper. I think you could find a place to put some solar panels and forget the noise maker.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:27 AM   #22

City: Portage
Vessel Model: Temporary between boats
I have used a 2 kWt Honda generator. Would advise against it (noise, smell, spilled gas, inconvenience). Solar would be my first choice, then larger charger.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Port Lincoln
Vessel Name: Nenad
Vessel Model: Frahnof
Another member of the solar panel cheer squad. Put the money you where going to spend on another noise maker towards some light weight flexible panels and a good oversized charge controller. Solars something you can do in stages if planned out so more panels can be added later if needed then you can sit back and enjoy the serenity.
Cheers
maxhopper502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Ohana
Vessel Model: DeFever 72
Thanks again for comments.

I installed 540 watts of solar on my last boat.

The issue with this boat is hiding the wiring and the distance to get the wires to the bank is a long way...would cost a small fortune.

Ideally I am looking at using the Gensets. Put a 100amp 24 volt alt on the genset and eventually increasing the size of the 24 volt charger.

Anyone have any experience with a second Alt on a northern lights genset?
Bohans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:02 AM   #25
FF
Guru

"The issue with this boat is hiding the wiring and the distance to get the wires to the bank is a long way...would cost a small fortune."

The simplest way to go large distances with solar is to install one of the newer tiny inverters on each panel.
120V has far less wire loss than 12V

"Ideally I am looking at using the Gensets. Put a 100amp 24 volt alt on the genset and eventually increasing the size of the 24 volt charger."

A DN 50 alternator can be had in 200-300A at 24 V.

Rebuilt is not expensive., and the charging engine can run slowly when only minor charging is needed.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #26

City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: MV Kika
Vessel Model: Selene 47 Ocean Trawler
The quickest, most efficient way to charge a large battery bank is to dump a lot of amps into it during the initial flood stage -- my solution was to install a small DC diesel generator (6HP Kubota spinning a 200 amp alternator). A 4- stage Balmar regulator manages the output, gradually reducing the charge as the batteries refill. Side benefits are super economical, small footprint and unlike some AC generators that run at a constant 3600 RPM, the DC generator can be throttled down as demand decreases. My unit was made by AquaGen, Orcas Island, WA.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:53 AM   #27
FF
Guru

"my solution was to install a small DC diesel generator (6HP Kubota spinning a 200 amp alternator)."

A welding speed /voltage control will operate the unit at just the speed required

If the boat has a good inverter for AC loads its all you need, tho the same alt on the main engine is even better.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote