Old 08-17-2016, 07:33 PM   #1

City: Kitchener
US to Canada

Hi everyone! I'm in the process of purchasing a used trawler. I understand if I buy one in the US and bring it into Canada I only have to pay the HST at the border and it's all good. As long as it was made in the US such as a Bayliner or similar brand. Does anyone know the rules for bringing a Taiwanese made trawler such as a Marine Trader from the US to Canada? Are there any duties that need to be paid as well? Any info would be great!
Thanks!
Motoringmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #2
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
convert your purchase price to Canadian dollars
add 9 1/2 % duty
now add the HST

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:38 PM   #3
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
add 9 1/2 % duty
now add the HST

Ted
What he said.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:11 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
add 9 1/2 % duty
now add the HST

Ted

Yup. Been there. Done that.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #5
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Agree with the above. But I'm not sure that attention is always paid to the country of origin. I've imported bicycles from the US that were made in Taiwan and have always just paid the HST. When I brought my Mainship into Canada I cleared customs and declared the boat over the phone and paid HST with my credit card. I don't recall any questions about where it was built. Very simple and straightforward, and I had actually obtained the Canadian licence prior to importing the boat - the whole process is less rigorous than importing a car. So my advice is to be prepared to pay the duty but wait until you are asked to pay it.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:06 PM   #6
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
Agree with the above. But I'm not sure that attention is always paid to the country of origin. I've imported bicycles from the US that were made in Taiwan and have always just paid the HST. When I brought my Mainship into Canada I cleared customs and declared the boat over the phone and paid HST with my credit card. I don't recall any questions about where it was built. Very simple and straightforward, and I had actually obtained the Canadian licence prior to importing the boat - the whole process is less rigorous than importing a car. So my advice is to be prepared to pay the duty but wait until you are asked to pay it.

Yes
purchasing IN country it can take them a year to ask for the HST

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:13 PM   #7
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
While I agree with the abovementioned there are a couple of points to clarify.
The Customs data base is made up of manufacturers and their origins. So they knew your Mainship was made in the US and was duty free.

Items of lower dollar value are often than not just processed with HST because they can't be bothered to research for the duty. If it's a high value item (boat) good chance they will especially when it's subject to follow-up scrutiny internally.

So bottom line. Don't volunteer to pay but factor it in your numbers and hope for a windfall.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:35 PM   #8
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
They asked me for the country of manufacture of our KK42, and so said we were on the hook for duty plus GST and PST. We were told to make payment within 3 weeks. And yes, we expected to have to pay these fees.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is online now   Reply With Quote