Old 03-14-2016, 02:03 AM   #41
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Monk 36
And if you want narrow rock slot try Hurricane Pass about 15 miles north of Hakai pass. I have a 13 beam and bet there was an extra four feet between both sides. Gave me a tight pucker.

Another fun one is the entrance to Ire Inlet on the east side of Anger Island. There's a tree hanging out that can grab your rigging. One of the guidebooks tells the story of a sailboat that got the tree jammed in its shrouds with the ebb pushing it out of the inlet against the downed tree. You can see where they had to cut off the tree trunk to get by.

Here's a picture of the cut off log.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1457935252.081441.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	49764
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1457935124.632409.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	49763  

DC36Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #42

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
DC36Monk says: "And if you want narrow rock slot try Hurricane Pass about 15 miles north of Hakai pass. I have a 13 beam and bet there was an extra four feet between both sides. Gave me a tight pucker."

Assume you are talking about Spitfire Channel?

I've often thought about getting into Ire Inlet, but the tides have never been a good fit with our arrival/intended departure from the area. Instead, we use a nice anchorage through Ala Passage to the NE of Anger Pt. The story of the sailboat that came to grief there is scary - they could have easily have lost the boat.

Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:35 PM   #43
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
We've been into Ire Inlet.

Stopped there on our way down from Alaska. Saw it in the Hemingway cruise guide. From these pics you can see it is tight. All pics taken w non-telephoto. We anchored in the very west end of the Inlet beyond the big rock. Not much room. Bad weather was coming and I used too much scope and banged against a rock in the middle of the night. I took up some rode in my shorts hoping that was that. It was and we left in the morning. The third pic is the sunrise in the am. More sign of bad weather to come. The next night we did the 50 knot gale in Patterson Inlet not far south.

We entered the Inlet in the right side of the first pic.
We were closer to the shore on the right in the second pic. Close to the leaning tree .. on the right.
With the very beginning of the gale to come there was a very slight E. breeze in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0353 copy.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	49776   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0350 copy 2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	49777   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0361 copy 2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	49778  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:41 PM   #44
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Topic for a Video? Another that I would like is a transit of the Swinomish channel. I have always been nervous to try it in my sailboat. Not sure of the charted depths are fact or fantasy.
Good ideas! We actually have a time lapse going through the PT canal 4 years ago, with a go fast motoryacht passing us the opposite direction WAY too fast (and close). Only problem is I was playing with the interval on the GoPro and had that transit set at every 5 seconds. Too long. Made for "jerky" video. Might resurrect it, however...

And we did have a Swinomish time lapse (much smoother) back when the nav aids changed direction at La Conner. Those have since been made one direction, so we took down that video. I do have a new set of time lapse images, just haven't edited it yet. I'll let you know when it's done.

Don't worry too much about doing the Swinomish, though. Especially if you go on a rising tide at the southern entrance AND you stay within the channel, you will be absolutely fine. It's truly amazing how many boaters drift out of the marked channel and go aground (in fact that new time lapse shows a sailboat aground there!). My friend Capt. John Aydelotte owns the Vessel Assist in Cornet Bay, and he refers to that southern entrance/channel as the "Million Dollar Mile"!
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #45
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I would enjoy seeing that. Jerkiness depends on the speed. Here is an example of a I did in a car, speeds at times hit triple digits.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:04 PM   #46
Guru

Re Swiniomish Channel,
Coming in from the south .. just after passing Goat Is don't think the channel is all the water you can see. Stay the same distance from your port side of the channel as you do passing Goat Is. And don't turn very late entering the dogleg if the tide is low. The next turn (by Lattitude Marine) can be almost hard against the rocks to stbd. Then to on to So LaConner stay generally or a bit to the right. Go slow going around the tight corners. Lots of traffic and many don't go slow. Many fishermen go planing around these corners giving little room. These are commercial crab boats.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:18 PM   #47

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Here is a video lining up the range markers at the south end of the Swinomish Channel. I was heading south from Deception Pass and did not turn into the channel, but filmed this for fun.

https://youtu.be/wlib5_GaSos
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:58 PM   #48
Guru

That is helpful. Range markers are great, as long as you can seen them. I had a heck of a time seeing the range markers in Olympia at dusk in bad weather in January.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 03-14-2016, 10:41 PM   #49

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
That is helpful. Range markers are great, as long as you can seen them. I had a heck of a time seeing the range markers in Olympia at dusk in bad weather in January.
You mean you didn't sail right down the middle of Budd Inlet like the locals do? I don't see how they do that. They must know where all the bumps are.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:07 PM   #50
Guru

This last time I actually did, but the light was fading as I reached the southern end of Budd Inlet so moved over to the channel.

I always would see the locals sailing around in the middle, but was too intimidated to try. This time, I just paid a lot of attention and made sure I cleared Olympia Shoal. I went the same way on the way North again. I am sure that East Coast sailors would laugh at my timidity, but I get nervous in depths less than 3 digits. lol

Dave
SPOT page
Old 03-15-2016, 02:48 AM   #51
Guru

I'm paying attention. Heading there soon.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:04 PM   #52

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
You mean you didn't sail right down the middle of Budd Inlet like the locals do? I don't see how they do that. They must know where all the bumps are.
The marked channel in Budd Inlet is for the large ships that come into Olympia. The inlet itself is pretty much all 30' or deeper. Just pay attention to the charts.

Marty......................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:59 PM   #53

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Some of my sailboat buddies from Olympia told me there were some mounds in Budd Inlet that were less than 6 feet down at low tide. Maybe they were kidding around with me.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:51 PM   #54
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Interesting discussion. A decent grounding is not cheap and sure can screw up a cruising season. Some of the above mentioned places I've transited with no issues, but clear weather trips only.

For the uninitiated Nakwato has currents approaching 10 knots routinely. But once you're in there better see it all and have adequate supplies and a reliable electrical system. Last summer we heard about 2 distress calls per day between Campbell River and Prince Rupert. Dinghy ropes around props seems an ever increasing occurrence.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:02 AM   #55

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
porman says: "Some of my sailboat buddies from Olympia told me there were some mounds in Budd Inlet that were less than 6 feet down at low tide. Maybe they were kidding around with me."

No, they weren't kidding. But they are all well charted these days. When you head south in Budd Inlet, you don't have to get into the ship channel until you get to Lt"5". Stay to the W of a N/S line from Lt"5" when you get further in, there are a few shallow areas to the NE of Lt"5".

This is the route that tug/barges typically go, and even small ships with light drafts.
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:41 AM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay N View Post
No, they weren't kidding. But they are all well charted these days. When you head south in Budd Inlet, you don't have to get into the ship channel until you get to Lt"5". Stay to the W of a N/S line from Lt"5" when you get further in, there are a few shallow areas to the NE of Lt"5".

This is the route that tug/barges typically go, and even small ships with light drafts.
I have a waypoint set about midway between Dolflemyer and Cooper Pts and another set right between G5 and R6. It skims pretty close to Olympia shoals but stays in deep enough water. Cuts a fair bit of time off going west to the channel entrance like I used to do all the time.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-25-2016, 07:03 AM   #57
Guru

Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Hey, so this past weekend we finally tied up at our new slip in Port Hadlock. We ran from Kingston to PH in some snotty weather. Everything on The Promise worked just fine. By the time we reached Oak Bay and approached the canal the visibility was down to 1/4 mile. We are in B30.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #58
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
Hey, so this past weekend we finally tied up at our new slip in Port Hadlock. We ran from Kingston to PH in some snotty weather. Everything on The Promise worked just fine. By the time we reached Oak Bay and approached the canal the visibility was down to 1/4 mile. We are in B30.
Welcome to the neighborhood, your across the aisle and a couple slips down from mine.
Will keep a eye out when I go down there.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:07 AM   #59
Guru

Didn't know there were "slips" down there.
Must have a breakwater of sorts for the summer afternoon breezes given their NW origin.
Isn't Port Hadlock one of the wood boat building centers in Puget Sound.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:57 AM   #60
Guru

Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Thanks!

Northwest School of Wooden Boat Building | Port Hadlock, Washington
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg