Old 03-13-2016, 11:06 AM   #21
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
If you plan to go through, make sure to get the channel markers correct. Red on the left, not the right when going toward Port Townsend...

http://threesheetsnw.com/blog/2013/0...port-townsend/
Thanks. Wow, kinda hard to believe.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:53 AM   #22
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Port Townsend Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Topic for a Video? Another that I would like is a transit of the Swinomish channel. I have always been nervous to try it in my sailboat. Not sure of the charted depths are fact or fantasy.

I was going to post earlier that the PT Canal looked like short version of the Swinomish Channel. We took the SC on our maiden voyage when we took possession of Phoenix Hunter. The PO told me he used the channel all the time as the current and seas are more benign than in Deception pass and Rosario. The channel is well marked, well surveyed and I think they keep it well dredged. Just pay attention to your plotter, depth sounder and the channel markers and don't cut the corners to the entrance or exit. It's a nice trip.

http://www.portofskagit.com/la-conne...omish-channel/

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #23

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Has anybody gone thru False Narrows, between Gabriola and Mudge? From reading, it seems like kelp might be a big problem. I have been tempted, but have not tried it, yet!
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #24
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Whoa, Hollywood, I hope you are still talking about Portage Canal and not Swinomish? If you went by La Conner at 19kts in a 70 footer, they're still talkin' about it.
Yes the P.T canal. isn't that what this thread is about?
HW
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:32 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Yes the P.T canal. isn't that what this thread is about?
HW
Yup, but your post was right behind dhays asking about Swinomish and I laughed. Couldn't help it.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
If you plan to go through, make sure to get the channel markers correct. Red on the left, not the right when going toward Port Townsend...

http://threesheetsnw.com/blog/2013/0...port-townsend/
It would be hard to find a better example of complacency. Even skippers can get the simplest things wrong. My guess is he just assumed "heading north RRR, bla bla." One quick attentive look at the chart and he's home free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Portage.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	49730  
Old 03-13-2016, 12:59 PM   #27
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
In Puget Sound where I have had almost all my experience, I am so used to the idea that "inbound" is always South, or towards the main channels of Puget Sound. So even going North towards PT, I still consider it outbound so leave green to starboard. Sounds like the skipper was thinking that he was going "inbound" to PT, so RRR as you mention.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
Has anybody gone thru False Narrows, between Gabriola and Mudge? From reading, it seems like kelp might be a big problem. I have been tempted, but have not tried it, yet!
False Narrows? Piece a cake. You want a challenge sometime try Boat Passage between Samuel and Saturna...ack!
False Narrows:https://youtu.be/WqpcY3kdMbw
Old 03-13-2016, 01:43 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays;
Sounds like the skipper was thinking that he was going "inbound" to PT, so RRR as you mention.
Yup. Didn't use all his tools. "Flood" is another one lots of people forget. Many places on our coast WA and BC are confusing as to what inbound or returning is. Just riding the BC Ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay can fool you if your not watching. Active Pass can be at odds with logic.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:10 PM   #30
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
And for the really adventurous, who's taken their vessel (not dinghy) through "The Gut"?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-03-13 11.09.09.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	49735
Old 03-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
And for the really adventurous, who's taken their vessel (not dinghy) through "The Gut"?
First prize, if you ran Refugio through there without diggin' a new ditch. Depth not such a challenge as width. Ran a 34 Sea Ray through but went fast enough so's only the props and rudders were in the water.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #32
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Used to take my 28' troller through "The Gut" when I lived on Thetis Island.
She had a 9 1/2 ft beam and drew 3 1/2 ft of water.
I wanted 4 ft on the posted pile and a rising tide, didn't always get both!

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:12 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Used to take my 28' troller through "The Gut" when I lived on Thetis Island.
She had a 9 1/2 ft beam and drew 3 1/2 ft of water.
I wanted 4 ft on the posted pile and a rising tide, didn't always get both!
My 28 Spirit would go through, legs up, almost any time.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #34
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Buoy numbers increasing...red on right...otherwise.....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:16 PM   #35
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
That was a Pelagic 28 semi-displacement hull

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:22 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
We took the SC on our maiden voyage when we took possession of Phoenix Hunter. The channel is well marked, well surveyed and I think they keep it well dredged
If I remember correctly, it took a lot of shouting from the locals to get it done in '14.
http://www.passagemaker.com/articles...ins-this-fall/
Old 03-13-2016, 08:17 PM   #37

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
After boating for a number of years, I've been through almost all the tight spots. The following assumes minimum 40' boat with 8 knot speed, and proper research and situational awareness.
Port Townsend Canal: There is plenty of room for single file traffic meeting, current can be challenging for slower boats. In my towing days, we used to routinely tow 180' x 50' barges with wood chips with an 80' tug drawing 12'. Every now and then, we'd bring log rafts through which could be 150' wide and 450' long. It worked fine if the tug stayed in the deep water channel. For those interested, check out 33 CFR 162.235a in the Coast Pilot 7 which specifies whistle signals prior to entering the canal, and a 5 mph speed limit. While the regulations are very old, there are still a few complaints from time-to-time from beach owners concerned with beach erosion caused by boats creating large wakes.
Swinomish Slough: Pretty straight forward as long as you have done your research for adequate draft, and air draft for sailboats. In my towing days, we occasionally would tow a 220' x 45' x 10' draft barge through here with a 10' draft tug. Even today, there are log rafts towed through here where they require most of the channel, but there is usually enough room to stay out of the way. Watch for minimum speed requirements, they may patrol for them in the summer months.
False Narrows: I like going through here because it eliminates the slack water congestion at Dodd Narrows and offers a much larger transit window. I use 7' of tide for my 4' of draft, a little current will help keep the kelp down.
Boat Passage: This spot requires some careful research and local knowledge. I wouldn't go through here the first time without taking your tender out on a preceding slack water and checking it out. There's about 30' of width available at high water slack, which is 45 minutes before Active Pass slack. If there are large tidal exchanges, the slack water doesn't last long. Also, actual slack may vary from book time up to 20 minutes depending on weather conditions and atmospheric pressure.
The Gut: High water spot only. We used to take our 40' boat through here frequently between Telegraph Harbor, and fishing at Porlier Pass. There should be water level gauges indicating water depths in the canal at the entrance markers at each end, but these are sometimes unreadable due to growth.

A few other spots: Canoe Pass, just north of Pass I in Deception Pass, is about 40' wide, slack water only. Pender Canal requires close observance of tidal height and air draft, remember those soundings are in meters.
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:31 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay N View Post
After boating for a number of years, I've been through almost all the tight spots. The following assumes minimum 40' boat with 8 knot speed, and proper research and situational awareness.
Port Townsend Canal: There is plenty of room for single file traffic meeting, current can be challenging for slower boats. In my towing days, we used to routinely tow 180' x 50' barges with wood chips with an 80' tug drawing 12'. Every now and then, we'd bring log rafts through which could be 150' wide and 450' long. It worked fine if the tug stayed in the deep water channel. For those interested, check out 33 CFR 162.235a in the Coast Pilot 7 which specifies whistle signals prior to entering the canal, and a 5 mph speed limit. While the regulations are very old, there are still a few complaints from time-to-time from beach owners concerned with beach erosion caused by boats creating large wakes.
Swinomish Slough: Pretty straight forward as long as you have done your research for adequate draft, and air draft for sailboats. In my towing days, we occasionally would tow a 220' x 45' x 10' draft barge through here with a 10' draft tug. Even today, there are log rafts towed through here where they require most of the channel, but there is usually enough room to stay out of the way. Watch for minimum speed requirements, they may patrol for them in the summer months.
False Narrows: I like going through here because it eliminates the slack water congestion at Dodd Narrows and offers a much larger transit window. I use 7' of tide for my 4' of draft, a little current will help keep the kelp down.
Boat Passage: This spot requires some careful research and local knowledge. I wouldn't go through here the first time without taking your tender out on a preceding slack water and checking it out. There's about 30' of width available at high water slack, which is 45 minutes before Active Pass slack. If there are large tidal exchanges, the slack water doesn't last long. Also, actual slack may vary from book time up to 20 minutes depending on weather conditions and atmospheric pressure.
The Gut: High water spot only. We used to take our 40' boat through here frequently between Telegraph Harbor, and fishing at Porlier Pass. There should be water level gauges indicating water depths in the canal at the entrance markers at each end, but these are sometimes unreadable due to growth.

A few other spots: Canoe Pass, just north of Pass I in Deception Pass, is about 40' wide, slack water only. Pender Canal requires close observance of tidal height and air draft, remember those soundings are in meters.
Great comments Jay N. The only issue I ever had through Boat Passage was a kelp frond wrapped a leg and cut the water off. Stopped, backed a bit and carried on.

"Local knowledge" is a great tool.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:45 PM   #39
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
"And for the really adventurous, who's taken their vessel (not dinghy) through "The Gut"?"
When I had my sailboat with 4'6" draft I took her through. In the last few years I have dinghied through many times, and have noted a little silting in, so I wouldn't trust the marks on the pole. I would assume a couple of feet less than the pole shows.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:42 AM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Try Nakwakto. you really want to triple check your slack water calls, get there early and stand off and watch until it actually occurs. Serious over fall
DC 36 Monk

DC36Monk is offline   Reply With Quote