Port of Brunswick closed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems like we dodged a bullet with Humberto....Crane barge is set up alongside the ship as of yesterday. I heard we will be removing 3000 cars from the ship. Assuming out through holes cut into each cargo deck. I will talk to the tug tomorrow and have more info.

Sounds like a complex job to remove the cars. Is it dry inside the ship? Will you winch, or drag, each car to the hole?

What is the timeframe guesstimate for this salvage?

Jim

No guestimate of salvage yet because it hasn't been determined how it will be done. CG,Owners,insurers and Salvors are still trying to figure this situation out. Cutting her up in place hasn't been ruled out yet. The effects of Humberto at salvage site caused CG to call off efforts today. They were going to have climbers attempt to retrieve Black box from WH and cut into hull for degassing of a car deck. Environmental concerns have to be addressed before much real stuff happens. Again, I'm not onscene and got my info from my Opposite.

What a humongous job. Where do they even start?

Crane that thing to near level trim and tune up trim with ballast tanks. That's a good place to start.

The community has moved on from “how in the world did that happen?” to “how in the world are they going to get rid of that thing?”

As Jack has stated here, and we have heard from local sources, there is still much debate on how best to proceed. There are no easy paths here it appears. Obviously, locals are most concerned with the environmental impact as the ship is sitting right in the Sound, not out in open water, and the currency offered by an average 8’ tide change every 6 hours or so, means that the very delicate and very protected marsh areas, not to mention the entire tourist trade, are at risk.

There is a containment ship on hand now so it feels like the unified group that is overseeing this project is more engaged on the environmental front than it was. Our marina now has about 15-20,000 feet of boom stored nearby for use in mitigation efforts by the containment contractor.

Otherwise, we are all anxiously awaiting news of the plan. Personally, and I am no expert, I am having trouble seeing how they re-float this thing intact, but as I have said before, the salvage teams are brilliant at this stuff so we will just wait and see.

Unified command has a no social media,gag order for all parties involved in the operations from all companies and agencies involved. I can tell you, The Capt of the Port has made the environmental aspect of the ship the number one priority. Official updates are being given by Coast Guard regularly. I can't divulge any more than that.

Brunswick and Update

We are still in transit from aboard our GH N37. From Massachusetts to Texas.
We happened upon the tipsy freighter a couple weeks back totally forgetting that we were approaching the area.
Looked like a barge covered with a tarp at a distance. But we got vid and pics. Nothing new really.
Still having a wonderful trip. Wonderful weather so far. No major technical issues. We will drop the hook at Sarasota tonight and make for St. Petersburg Fl
Then head offshore for Panama City. Weather looks favorable.
All for now .
Russ...

Attachments

• 1232BFE6-C3D3-47B4-9FE8-0592FCB97A9E.jpeg
    1232BFE6-C3D3-47B4-9FE8-0592FCB97A9E.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 6790FCC8-D849-43E0-82AC-5DD48256883D.jpg
    6790FCC8-D849-43E0-82AC-5DD48256883D.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 8196E0F2-FBB9-47E2-AE2F-D5945EC44F63.jpeg
    8196E0F2-FBB9-47E2-AE2F-D5945EC44F63.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 104
  • E9239715-5A76-40AB-B9A0-4AB0C66CFBBF.jpg
    E9239715-5A76-40AB-B9A0-4AB0C66CFBBF.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 103
  • 88C9C979-CF49-4566-A986-0B90D45FF30B.jpeg
    88C9C979-CF49-4566-A986-0B90D45FF30B.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 143D870E-2D3D-40CC-A453-749321D02782.jpg
    143D870E-2D3D-40CC-A453-749321D02782.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 109
Pilot did an outstanding job preventing a large disaster. Wx delays at jobsite. I brought 2 of the three crane barges in Saturday night due to swell. We attempted to go alongside with 1 today but still too much swell.

Pilot did an outstanding job preventing a large disaster. Wx delays at jobsite. I brought 2 of the three crane barges in Saturday night due to swell. We attempted to go alongside with 1 today but still too much swell.

I'm of the school that believes you've got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them and that applies to piloting a ship. I have no idea the cause of the problems. However, to see that everyone survived is a tribute to what was done. So often there is denial about the severity of a problem and one waits too long.

What a humongous job. Where do they even start?
Cut holes in top of exposed side and use cranes on barges to pull the autos out, when most of the autos (4400!!) are out -save the cut out pieces and weld them back. then plug all the deck level holes. then dig and dredge a deeper full length trench on the shallow side which also leads to deeper water and the channel----- then (while trench is being dug do this) prepare a series of "dead men heavy piles " of large steel H piles that can resist a pull from the shipside of 8-12000 tons. To this series of dead men pile structures is engineered a strong enough steel platform to anchor a couple of diesel /electric powered winches of 4000 tons pull capacity . meanwhile back on ship a equal series if strong attachment points are welded on at appropriate points opposite the dead man pile structures. All pull together to turn the ship into the dredged trench.. Haul to India and cut it up. Time 16 months, $cost 180 million. Note - this will work.

Cut holes in top of exposed side and use cranes on barges to pull the autos out, when most of the autos (4400!!) are out -save the cut out pieces and weld them back. then plug all the deck level holes. then dig and dredge a deeper full length trench on the shallow side which also leads to deeper water and the channel----- then (while trench is being dug do this) prepare a series of "dead men heavy piles " of large steel H piles that can resist a pull from the shipside of 8-12000 tons. To this series of dead men pile structures is engineered a strong enough steel platform to anchor a couple of diesel /electric powered winches of 4000 tons pull capacity . meanwhile back on ship a equal series if strong attachment points are welded on at appropriate points opposite the dead man pile structures. All pull together to turn the ship into the dredged trench.. Haul to India and cut it up. Time 16 months, $cost 180 million. Note - this will work.

Damn, you got it all figured out! Why is the insurance company hiring these engineers and naval architects? Coast Guard and Insurance company should have just paid you.
None of these pros have thought about parbuckling.....By the way , how far down do these attachment points need to be in this type of soil for the stresses involved? Inquiring minds want to know... after all, its simple, right?
You do know the maximum angle that parbuckleing will work right? Kind of curious to know your salvage experience?

Last edited:
Parbucking has been around for many years before it was a high profile event like on the Costa Concordia. Me thinks, suspects, that GEOLEO's simple explanation of ship salvage is from reading about CG.... I would love to know where the 180 million dollar figure came from...I assure you, it wasn't from CC salvage. My company bid 33o million to remove that wreck in place. Titan won the bid at 800 or so million to parbuckle and refloat. Final tally was over 2 billion as I understand it. Totally different set of currents and situation as in Georgia. His shelf scenario gave him away as a reader and not a real salvor...I would love to get him on the jobsite for a day and see what goes on. Several prominent members here have seen the scale of the equipment we work with. Its all numbers until you stand on the deck and see it up close and personal.

I was at the Georgia Ports Authority luncheon last Wednesday. We were surprised that Lynch named Jonathan as the pilot as the investigation is still underway. However, no question, the Brunswick pilots are all top-notch.

As Sailor just said, most assets were removed from the Sound for the current weather. Not surprised. I went out for a look Saturday afternoon and the swells were already significant with 4-5 footers on the east side of the Golden Ray.

There were three crane barges and what I assume to be a fuel barge for the bunker pumping operation. The two large salvage tugs were standing off to the southwest. The NRC Liberty was still out doing containment along with a huge fleet of small boats.

It appears that the significant oil leak of last Monday was well repaired as there have been no signs of additional leaking since.

Wednesday, after the luncheon, a bunch of us, including several DNR, Ports, and other agency folks went out to the Jekyll pier to have a look. There was a small army of men in yellow suits cleaning along the beach. No question they are taking the environmental aspect very seriously indeed.

And there appears to be much ongoing conversation among the experts as to how best approach things once the remaining bunker is pumped out. They have pumped nearly 200,000 of the 300,000+ gallons thus far.

One well-informed friend told me that since the ship is laying only about 150 feet from deeper channel water, some consideration is being given to how it might be possible to move her and then re-float her. I am sure many options are being reviewed.

Needless to say, we really don’t know anything yet and will wait for the experts to come up with a plan. There are certainly challenges to the location including significant current, 8 foot tidal shifts (on average), the lack of water where the ship came to rest, the environmental concerns, the absolute need to keep the channel open to traffic, etc.

In the meantime, I hope Sailor is enjoying his stay here on our little island. He might be here for a while.

IMG_4007.jpg

Mcboatfaced is the most informed of the situation here. Some things I can't comment on because of gag order for all involved directly. I'm sure we will make another attempt tomorrow with 1 crane barge unless directed to stand down by CG or safety officer.
If you want to come aboard one of the large salvage tugs, let me know. I'm the capt of the Atlantic Salvor. The other (sistership is the on station Fire fighting boat on the mooring). PM me for my phone number.

Last edited:
Just announced: the Golden Ray cannot be re-floated intact. Will be disassembled. I assume by cutting it up, but that part was not disclosed.

Wow. We are going to have a front-row seat to an epic salvage operation.

Just announced: the Golden Ray cannot be re-floated intact. Will be disassembled. I assume by cutting it up, but that part was not disclosed.

Wow. We are going to have a front-row seat to an epic salvage operation.

Any disclosure on why? I can't imagine being unable to refloat such a boat and what that indicates must have happened in terms of damage.

Any disclosure on why? I can't imagine being unable to refloat such a boat and what that indicates must have happened in terms of damage.

Might be in terms of ensuring structural integrity....cost to ensure that versus a piece by piece removal...if it broke apart in the deeper channel...bad news.

No. It was just stated that the engineers and other experts don’t see a way to do it intact. Now I am no expert in these things, but I could never see a way to re-float a ship that size in 25 feet of water.

On the other hand, we are all very unclear as to how they avoid an environmental mess going this route. There are literally tens of thousands of sources of pollutants on this ship. 4,200 cars. Each has a small amount of gas. Engine oil. HVAC coolant. Windshield washer fluid. Batteries. Etc.

Then there is the ship itself with all of its systems.

Having said that, there appears to be a very concerted effort by all involved to avoid this scenario. Who knows. Perhaps they are working on a way to disassemble in some fashion other than cutting into 9 pieces we have seen with other Ro Ro ships. All I do know is that we will get to watch since she is only a few hundred yards from shore.

I was at the Georgia Ports Authority luncheon last Wednesday. We were surprised that Lynch named Jonathan as the pilot as the investigation is still underway. However, no question, the Brunswick pilots are all top-notch.

As Sailor just said, most assets were removed from the Sound for the current weather. Not surprised. I went out for a look Saturday afternoon and the swells were already significant with 4-5 footers on the east side of the Golden Ray.

There were three crane barges and what I assume to be a fuel barge for the bunker pumping operation. The two large salvage tugs were standing off to the southwest. The NRC Liberty was still out doing containment along with a huge fleet of small boats.

It appears that the significant oil leak of last Monday was well repaired as there have been no signs of additional leaking since.

Wednesday, after the luncheon, a bunch of us, including several DNR, Ports, and other agency folks went out to the Jekyll pier to have a look. There was a small army of men in yellow suits cleaning along the beach. No question they are taking the environmental aspect very seriously indeed.

And there appears to be much ongoing conversation among the experts as to how best approach things once the remaining bunker is pumped out. They have pumped nearly 200,000 of the 300,000+ gallons thus far.

One well-informed friend told me that since the ship is laying only about 150 feet from deeper channel water, some consideration is being given to how it might be possible to move her and then re-float her. I am sure many options are being reviewed.

Needless to say, we really don’t know anything yet and will wait for the experts to come up with a plan. There are certainly challenges to the location including significant current, 8 foot tidal shifts (on average), the lack of water where the ship came to rest, the environmental concerns, the absolute need to keep the channel open to traffic, etc.

In the meantime, I hope Sailor is enjoying his stay here on our little island. He might be here for a while.

View attachment 94996
yup, going to be here for a while.. Going home Wednesday for my month off though.

I have a really nice grinder if you want to borrow it...

Back
Top Bottom