Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
Guru
 
Airstream345's Avatar
 
City: Seattle, WA USA
Country: United States
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 562
Pondering a DeFever 66

Please indulge me for a moment:

Does anyone in TF-world know anything about this DeFever 66 for sale in FL? Seems like a well thought out boat, good live-aboard and with 3200 gallons of diesel, 450 gallons of water, a water maker, stabilizers, thrusters, etc - a potential passage-maker.

66' DeFever for Sale | Motor Yachts, Trawlers | Lapis Lazuli | Curtis Stokes Yacht brokers

IIRC it's bounced around a few brokers and is no longer on YW. Curious is something is terribly wrong with it or if boats in this age/size/price range are just really slow to sell.

Also, is it bad I'm looking up flights to Jacksonville? I'm not seriously considering this boat, am I?

Must. Step. Away. From. Computer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trawler-for-sale66defever-lapis-lazuli.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	79485  
__________________
Advertisement

Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,698
Thatís going to use a lot of OrPine.
__________________

High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
Guru
 
FoxtrotCharlie's Avatar
 
City: Mississippi
Country: USA
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 544
Be still my heart
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:11 PM   #4
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,560
Need crew for the delivery home?
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member
 
KevinCT's Avatar
 
City: Essex, CT
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Neon Moon
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 480 Classico
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 36
My first question is whether the teak decks are glued or screwed? ...As beautiful as teak is, to me, when I see teak, I think of death by a thousand razors, or leaks by a thousand holes. Screwed decks are expensive and worse with water leaks, soft spots and other problems that can develop over years. As I recall, the life of a teak deck is estimated around 20-30 years. Nothing is cheap or free--it's just incremental costs of ownership -- pay me now or later, as they say.

In the 90s, I owned a Hatteras built in the 60s--great boat, had meticulous care by the previous owner--but things were constantly aging out and requiring a lot of maintenance. This DeFever is GORGEOUS, but I always have to look beneath the brightwork.
KevinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:31 PM   #6
Guru
 
Airstream345's Avatar
 
City: Seattle, WA USA
Country: United States
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 562
Pondering a DeFever 66

KevinCT - oh I agree. Our current trawler has teak decks which we plan to replace this winter.

I would assume this boat needs the same and more.
__________________
FORTITUDE
Blog: mvfortitude.com
Instagram: @mvfortitude
Facebook: Bluewater 40 Owners Group
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:45 PM   #7
Guru
 
Drake's Avatar
 
City: Seabrook, Texas
Country: Independent Republic of Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 601
Iíve had my eye on that boat for a while. Not sure why, except sheís a beauty. The teak decks would give me pause, but thereís a lot to like about the boat.

Count me in as another volunteer crew for delivery if you pull the trigger.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:58 PM   #8
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9,678
Sunchaser knows his De Fevers,and a lot more. You could PM him unless he sees the thread.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:17 AM   #9
Guru
 
Airstream345's Avatar
 
City: Seattle, WA USA
Country: United States
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Sunchaser knows his De Fevers,and a lot more. You could PM him unless he sees the thread.


Thanks BruceK!
__________________
FORTITUDE
Blog: mvfortitude.com
Instagram: @mvfortitude
Facebook: Bluewater 40 Owners Group
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:18 AM   #10
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Country: Australia
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,031
Have at it.
You're a long time dead

Engines put me off a bit given fuel prices here
I did like some of the single screwed, half the fuel burn models available on YW
More on it here
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198.../United-States
Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:38 AM   #11
Guru
 
Woodland Hills's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 749
I am not far from this boat if anyone wants some current pictures....... If it’s the one I think it is.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:09 AM   #12
Guru
 
Airstream345's Avatar
 
City: Seattle, WA USA
Country: United States
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Have at it.
You're a long time dead

Engines put me off a bit given fuel prices here
I did like some of the single screwed, half the fuel burn models available on YW
More on it here
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198.../United-States
Thanks Simi60, for some reason I couldn't find her on YW. Looks like this YW listing has some more up to date (albeit amateurish) photos. I'm pretty sure the video is from 2015 (based on what's posted in YouTube) so it's a pre-Irma overview.

Realistically the timing isn't right for me to even consider a purchase but she's such a pretty boat with a great layout and at what appears to be a reasonable asking price (condition dependent).
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:14 AM   #13
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Country: Port of St Augustine ,FL
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,553
I don't know anything about the boat,but would be willing to go preview it for you. Wouldn't be the first Defever I previewed for a forum member... I don't work for free, it would cost you lunch!
__________________
Jack (Steve?)
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #14
Guru
 
FoxtrotCharlie's Avatar
 
City: Mississippi
Country: USA
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinCT View Post
My first question is whether the teak decks are glued or screwed? ...As beautiful as teak is, to me, when I see teak, I think of death by a thousand razors, or leaks by a thousand holes. Screwed decks are expensive and worse with water leaks, soft spots and other problems that can develop over years. As I recall, the life of a teak deck is estimated around 20-30 years. Nothing is cheap or free--it's just incremental costs of ownership -- pay me now or later, as they say.

In the 90s, I owned a Hatteras built in the 60s--great boat, had meticulous care by the previous owner--but things were constantly aging out and requiring a lot of maintenance. This DeFever is GORGEOUS, but I always have to look beneath the brightwork.
I believe by 1987 they were all glued down, vs screws. Even Marine Trader 1988's had teak decks as an option - then glued down over non-skid if purchased.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member
 
mike50's Avatar
 
City: Anacortes
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: Defever - 68' steel custom
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 52
Don't have any info about this particular boat, however ours is 1972 steel flush deck model that was the base design for later versions using FRP like the one listed. They are great sea boats esp with stabilizers for roll damping, and great to live-aboard having same level salon, galley and pilot house. There is similar one for sale in WA that appears in great shape for comparison. Ours has gone from Japan to Vietnam, through the southsea islands and back to PNW on her own bottom, they are rugged boats. You can't go wrong assuming she is in as good condition as claimed.
mike50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
City: Beaufort, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Mikelson 43
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 124
Way too much boat for me to ever consider (I think), but what a beautiful rig.

You're asking the wrong crowd if you want to be talked down from the ledge!
ABfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
City: Beaufort, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Mikelson 43
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 124
I checked the video again and discovered a major shortcoming- only two rod holders.
ABfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #18
Guru
 
Airstream345's Avatar
 
City: Seattle, WA USA
Country: United States
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike50 View Post
Don't have any info about this particular boat, however ours is 1972 steel flush deck model that was the base design for later versions using FRP like the one listed. They are great sea boats esp with stabilizers for roll damping, and great to live-aboard having same level salon, galley and pilot house. There is similar one for sale in WA that appears in great shape for comparison. Ours has gone from Japan to Vietnam, through the southsea islands and back to PNW on her own bottom, they are rugged boats. You can't go wrong assuming she is in as good condition as claimed.
Mike50, thank you for the firsthand perspective. It's great to hear that brands other than Nordhavns can and do cross oceans! Something that seems obvious but without a corporate marketing engine behind it it's often unnoticed.

Curious about the one in WA. There was a 60 for sale a few slips down (represented and recently sold by the broker who sold us our current trawler, no less). Is that the one you mean or is there another 66 for sale in WA as well?

I'm finding these to be a bit of a unicorn boat. Great for cocktails on the upper deck, dinners on the cockpit with a comfortable live aboard layout but also a contender for some serious far off adventures.

And they don't have 7 digits in the price tag!
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member
 
City: Sequim
Country: Washington
Vessel Name: Toad Hall
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 32
I remember being with a group of boaters last may and we were talking about how we each came to the decision to buy our current boat.


One guy was telling me that they looked at dozens of boats, but as soon as his wife set foot on this one boat, well, that was it. Love at first sight....she knew that this was the one...... "Honey....This is it......Buy this one!!!....." So he went ahead and bought it.


Cant remember who that was.............oh wait. Steve, wasn't that you??
Toadhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #20
Guru
 
Airstream345's Avatar
 
City: Seattle, WA USA
Country: United States
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadhall View Post
I remember being with a group of boaters last may and we were talking about how we each came to the decision to buy our current boat.


One guy was telling me that they looked at dozens of boats, but as soon as his wife set foot on this one boat, well, that was it. Love at first sight....she knew that this was the one...... "Honey....This is it......Buy this one!!!....." So he went ahead and bought it.


Cant remember who that was.............oh wait. Steve, wasn't that you??
Guilty!!!

We love our BW40 and plan to use her far and wide but would you be surprised if I told you my wife has already started talking about what she wants in the next boat?

You know how it starts...

"It would be nice to have stabilizers."
"A water make sure would be handy."
"Dick and Jane's live-aboard is pretty amazing"
"We need another stateroom the next time your parents come along!"
"If only we had more seating on the boat deck"
"Wouldn't it be nice to have a cockpit big enough for a table?"

I just add in "and if was seaworthy and sea kindly and we could could go far and wide..."

I'm a lucky guy!

Steven


PS - This also means I need to work extra hard to put the right options in front of her the next time she falls in love

PSS - My joke with her is that I'm going to make my fortune by writing a book titled "How to get your spouse to think it was their idea to buy the boat of your dreams" .
__________________

Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012