Polyethylene tarp glue/cement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RT Firefly

Enigma
Greetings,
As the title says, I would like to glue up some blue tarp for a few small projects I'm, contemplating (covering boxes and beams). Joinment need only be semi-permanent but able to withstand some shear force.
Did a Google and yes, there are some exotics available but I'm looking more for a Lowes/HD solution (quick and dirty AND cheap). Thanks in advance...

Greetings,
I'm looking more for a Lowes/HD solution (quick and dirty AND cheap). Thanks in advance...

RT F
How about packaging tape or duct / Gorilla tape
if you need a little more strength. If you need even more strength - cable tie @ the grommets & tape seam.
These will also allow removal & reuse of tarps if you want.

Greetings,
Mr. B. So far I've tried: Packing tape, duct tape, PVC pipe cement, hot glue gun and that white tape used for shrink wrapping. Nada! I'm using pieces of tarp to gift wrap, as it were, some cardboard boxes so no grommets. One possible alternative is elastic cord but I'd like to keep the outsides as smooth and snag-proof as feasible. Thanks.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
How about good old contact cement and a small roller to roll it on?

Possibly spray adhesive for headliners?

glue cement

RTFF: I have some tape as a suggestion for you but it does go a bit outside the "cheap" parameter, but if it works it's probably less than all the other stuff you've tried combined. It's an almost clear tape made by Du Pont called TYVEK and it's primary use is to seal the seams between sheets of foam insulation house wrap. Holds ANYthing. And waterproof. I keep a roll on hand for really tough things. Got it at Lowes in the house siding section. There is a phone number inside the roll, assume it's DuPont's tape division. 800-44 TYVEK. Hope this helps.

Greetings,
Mr. B. So far I've tried: Packing tape, duct tape, PVC pipe cement, hot glue gun and that white tape used for shrink wrapping. Nada!

Wow... I've had some problems w/ pkg tape on clear poly sheet but you've exceeded my wildest dreams... I'm guessing some sort of film of release mat'l on the surface - but guessing only!

I have been able to use that fiber reinforced pkg tape when the clear didn't work.
There is Poly tarp tape available but I've never seen anything Gorilla tape wouldn't stick to - have you tried an alcohol wipe before tape / glue?

This video also shows vinyl cement working?

And here's one that is reported to work as well Hilltronix H-200

Last edited:
Sew it into a cube with a flap. Then use the shrink wrap tape. Double sided to hide the seam. Single sided to cover over.

3M Double faced mounting tape. 3M VHB double faced tape is even stronger.

Gee I've had pretty good luck with the white shrink wrap tape.
Can you use staples?

Greetings,
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I may have found the solution thanks to Mr. B. I wiped down the area to be sealed with brake cleaner then rubbing alcohol. I had a new roll of shrink wrap tape and applied that (tried an old roll previously) and it appears to be doing the job. I suspect my initial failure may have been due to surface contamination on the used tarp and "tired" tape. Again, thanks for the help. I'll file the information for future reference.

Last edited:
If that doesn't work, here's suggestion #498: Buy a grommet tool kit (there are a zillion of 'em on Amazon from $9.95 up)....install grommets, then lash the edges of the tear together using nylon line. You can also install grommets where needed to run line through to secure the tarp.

You can buy red tape used to seal house wrap. It'll stick anything and is permanent.

Shrink wrap tape would be my first test but depending on tarp type may not withstand for long. If it is the kind of tarp that are weaved they are not perfectly smooth like boat wrap.
Duck tape does not resist to winter, I used it to cover cut end of a poly tarp and with out cold the tape glue just des integrated.
Sewing would be my next try, can be done by hand.
One last idea, glue by heat. Poly tarp are melting quite easily, maybe using something to heat were you wanna join to melt the two part together and make a seal. I remember to have one tarp touching a hot pipe at home and it melt it quite solid.

L

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom