View Poll Results: Do you remove shoes...
No shoes in home or on boat 25 21.55%
No shoes on boat but shoes in my home 7 6.03%
No shoes in my home but shoes on my boat 16 13.79%
Shoes both at home and on boat 68 58.62%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2015, 08:37 PM   #41
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
This might say it all (cruising in Alaskan waters):

Old 03-31-2015, 09:56 PM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post

The real issue i think is for shoes on or off at boat shows. One broker in the US took the view that if he insisted on shoe removal and the person subsequently slipped and was injured in their stockinged feet then he could be sued, and he didn't want that risk.

The issue of small stones in shoe soles damaging the boat interior is real enough, but why not have floor covers laid down, and allow people to wear shoes if the want to? I will remove shoes if asked and I do want to see that boat but strongly believe the seller should provide floor protection themselves if its such an issue for them.
The liability issue is real, whether the suit would be valid or not. I am also amazed shoes or no shoes when there isn't adequate floor protection for shows.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:29 PM   #43
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
On Magic the cleats are raised and on the bulwark with little danger of stubbing a toe. The decks are teak and bare feet do not slip on the decks. Inside floors are teak parquet so no shoes are needed. Biggest mistake you can make is to wear socks and no shoes inside the cabin. It's easy to slip and fall. Bare feet are safer. landing in a heap at the bottom of the steps to the forward stateroom is something you don't do twice.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:42 PM   #44
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
We don't wear shoes in our home. Quite frankly bringing whatever you step on into my house I find disgusting. We wear shoes on the boat until you pass through the companion way door. Once below the shoes come off. For the same reason as my home. I can't hose down the inside of the boat.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:57 AM   #45
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
We don't wear shoes in our home. Quite frankly bringing whatever you step on into my house I find disgusting. We wear shoes on the boat until you pass through the companion way door. Once below the shoes come off. For the same reason as my home. I can't hose down the inside of the boat.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler
Sorry to rain on your parade mbevins, but being a medico and interested in this subject for hygiene reasons, I have made it a bit of a study.

Outcome is feet carry and transfer more dirt to floors than (reasonably) clean street shoes.

Obviously one needs to have dry soles her, and not to have just trod in some doggy do do, but accepting most people have not just tramped through a garbage dump before coming in, and check and wipe their shoes on a mat, the shoes win out.

Reason - feet sweat, and dirt sticks to that sweat. Not much casual grime sticks to clean dry shoe soles.

Of course once settled down inside I'm still a great believer in a good set of slippers, preferably with some arch support. You would be amazed how many folk develop plantar fasciitis, (tender foot soles), just from wearing either those dreadful flip flops, (called thongs here in Oz, and jandals in NZ - just FYO), or from walking about a lot in bare feet or just socks on hard tile floors.
Besides, it's pretty hard on socks, and I hate holes in my sock heels, and personally I find a great clutter of shoes all round the front door to trip over rather off-putting. Not to mention the fact many folks shoes, (and therefore feet), aren't that fragrant, if you get my drift. Surely I'm not alone in that..?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:27 AM   #46
FF
Guru

Our decks have NO SKID big time !.

The USN version of flint chips in epoxy .

Shoes on deck , a must.

Folks wanting to use "boat shoes" must realize that boat shoes are Only worn on the boat , not dock or a trip anywhere.

This keeps debris from sticking in the sole and scratching the deck planking.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:45 AM   #47

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
I've seen too many homes with dirty carpet from folks who wear their street shoes inside. Looking at the bottom of my "street" shoes, it is apparent that they have a reasonable amount of dirt and grime embedded in the rubber--way more than my feet could possibly have unless I'm walking around my backyard barefoot. Perhaps my newer shoes may be "reasonably" clean but their soles are still gray with dirt. I wear socks with my shoes and my feet remain clean (hopefully people take a shower at least daily and wash their feet).

Wearing street shoes inside a home is just nasty... period.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:25 AM   #48
Guru

If you saw my feet you'd be asking me to put my shoes back on. LOL
Mystic,Ct
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:39 AM   #49
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
It's a very different answer for us depending on whether you are inside the boat or outside. Inside the boat and house is no shoes. On deck or anywhere outside is whatever you want. I typically wear shoes, and my wife typically doesn't.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:33 AM   #50
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Poll: Shoes or no shoes

At home:
A few years ago we switched to no shoes inside. It took a bit to get used to but the difference in how clean the floors are is noticeable. Especially on white carpeted stairs and high traffic areas like the kitchen where we tend to hang out. However, if we have a family gathering or many friends come over, we do not ask them all to remove their shoes. They're always walking in and out of the backyard and it would be a hassle. We know the floors will be dirty afterwards and they'll need some cleaning.

On the boat:
Sailboat: on our sailboat we have a shoes on policy when on deck for the obvious hazards. We've both ignored it at times to our detriment. Now the boat was mainly in a marina that had a gravel and dirt parking lot. So a shoes off before coming down the companionway was necessary if not it was impossible to keep clean.

Trawler: we got used to the above and continued the shoes off policy inside. We have comfy slippers for inside use if the floors are cold. Outside, the way the decks are there are no hazards at all, and we go either way as far as foot ware. Of course these are general practices, not absolutes. For example right now we're doing much work on her. The pilot house doors are off the boat being blasted and refinished, steering pumps and windlass being rebuilt, one of the water tanks is out, etc. we are all walking around with shoes. But keeping her clean in the process is not going to happen anyway.

Even thou we have a shoes off policy we are flexible and feel that's important. I'd rather someone coming aboard be comfortable than avoid the possibility of dirt on a floor. So if you come aboard with us you'll see us take our shoes off. If you follow suit great, if not that's ok too.

When fishing, especially with kids we stress sneakers or other close shoes, sunglasses and baseball caps.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:10 AM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon_Trawler View Post
I've seen too many homes with dirty carpet from folks who wear their street shoes inside. Looking at the bottom of my "street" shoes, it is apparent that they have a reasonable amount of dirt and grime embedded in the rubber--way more than my feet could possibly have unless I'm walking around my backyard barefoot. Perhaps my newer shoes may be "reasonably" clean but their soles are still gray with dirt. I wear socks with my shoes and my feet remain clean (hopefully people take a shower at least daily and wash their feet).

Wearing street shoes inside a home is just nasty... period.
Wifey B: Where do you walk to get such dirty shoes? Like for real? I mean our shoes really look pretty much like new but most of the time we only walk on sidewalks and patios and places like that. Now, if we go out walking through the woods and crap like that then it's a different story, different shoes, and they come off when we get back.

Do you dudes wash your tennies? In the washing machine I mean. Just curious. Some do, some don't.

Shoes or shoeless Joe Jackson, the people who have muddy shoes and such you hope have good enough sense not to wear them into your home or onto your boat. Don't even want them out on my patio.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:16 AM   #52
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I may have seen Mr. jl's feet....Yup, keep your shoes on please...

Old 04-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #53
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Boat shoes on deck, almost snapped a knee when barefoot washing boat, never again.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:38 AM   #54
Guru

Wifey B: This discussion is kinda cool. I mean most of the time you get into a discussion of people who do things differently and one side or even both sides have no reasons, just do, and they got no argument to defend what they do. Here we have two opposite sides, both with very good reasons. Both sides have sound arguments for what they do.

In many ways I'm starting to think the best of both worlds is outdoor shoes to indoor shoes and never the twain shall cross. Theoretically outdoors is dirtier than in, although I've seen some homes...but forgetting them. So change keeps the outdoor dirt out and indoor dirt in. And this gets around then the inherent dangers of barefoot and the potential damage to the feet from going barefoot a lot. Now it's also a royal pain to have to change shoes so much and totally impractical when having a pool party and going back and forth or like when carrying stuff onto the boat from the car.

I just like think that was started off a shoe theft is actually an issue important to many boaters with varying but equally valid views on the subject. Important discussion so we understand others and also respect their views.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #55
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon_Trawler View Post
Wearing shoes in one's home must be an American thing... I think it is absolutely gross to be walking in public restrooms and then come home and walk around your house with the same shoes. People take their shoes off before coming in my home. They usually see that I am wearing socks and understand my preference without me saying something. It keeps my carpet and tile clean.

I definitely understand the safety concern on a boat but shoes are hot and Florida can very hot. Not wearing shoes keeps the decks scuff free but I have burned my feet on a hot deck! Ouch!
That's true but people put their babies on tables in restaurants in contact w baby butt on the table and usually the feet too. Also women put their purses on the ground where people walk and spit ect and then on counters and Resturant tables. And in restaurants the baby carriers get set on the ground, floor and parking lot and then right onto the resturant table. So your feet on the ground and then in your house seems like fly stuff compared to the above.

OD,
Yes those awful Extra Tuffs are a religion in SE. I was the only person in Thorne Bat w grey boots. For non-Alaskans "Extra Tuffs" are the rubber boots that 99% of the AK residents wear .. all the time. Too bad as the're hard to get on and off, have no insulation or arch support. People in SE have a lot of foot problems ..... but when you need duck feet and you're not a duck ........

Hint to TF members ... If you want not to look like a tourist in SE just wear Extra Tuffs. However you'll fool very few Alaskans. You will fool the other tourists and most boaters. The ones that won't be fooled are the boaters that come to AK every year. They are basically Alaskans. The locals will know you're from outside w less than a glance. You just don't fit in.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:12 PM   #56
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
... "Extra Tuffs" are the rubber boots that 99% of the AK residents wear ...
And I always thought they were Alaskan tennis shoes.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #57
Guru

A couple of people mentioned burning their feet. That's been a huge issue as people have worked toward fake teak. We tested several different brands a couple of years ago, had them set out on our patio. Hot is all I can say. Some more than others.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #58
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Shoes are fine onboard. When cruising, bare feet get the nod for general use; fishing/crabbing, flip flops at a minimum are the weapon of choice.

Like others, muddy/sandy/bloody feet get washed off before entering the boat.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:34 AM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
I may have seen Mr. jl's feet....Yup, keep your shoes on please...

Mystic,Ct
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:41 PM   #60
Guru

Interesting to us. Majority wear shoes everywhere which reflects the US majority here I'm sure. But interesting to us to better understand those who don't wear shoes in their home or on the boat. We appreciate the sharing as the logic is certainly there and now, even though we don't join them, we know the reasons. Certainly we'd respect their home or boat. Before the discussion we just perceived it as one of those "I've always done it this way" habits passed down from parents, but now we know that most have thought the choice through and have solid reasons behind their choices. Understanding leads to properly respecting with ways of others.