View Poll Results: Do you remove shoes...
No shoes in home or on boat 25 21.55%
No shoes on boat but shoes in my home 7 6.03%
No shoes in my home but shoes on my boat 16 13.79%
Shoes both at home and on boat 68 58.62%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2015, 04:29 PM   #21
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I don't wear them to the boat typically but I don't think black soled tennis shoes and basketball shoes mark today. I think they're more colorfast. Now I may need to do a test. Mostly what I've seen is shoes that are polished, black sole dress shoes. And they really mark from the side of the sole where polish is.
A couple of years ago my son in law had sneakers that marked the fiberglass.
And 2 years ago I changed companies that shrink wrap my boat for winter because they wore shoes that scuffed/marked up the fiberglass.

Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:31 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
A couple of years ago my son in law had sneakers that marked the fiberglass.
And 2 years ago I changed companies that shrink wrap my boat for winter because they wore shoes that scuffed/marked up the fiberglass.
Very interesting. The ones who were notorious at home were plumbers. Finally however they've gone to wearing disposable covers over their shoes it seems.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:54 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
For the most part, we're no shoes. Our cruising grounds are warm climates with sand and salt. Since we live on the boat all the shoes/sandals come off at the door or are left in the dinghy. We have a fresh water hose by the transom door and have even asked guests (sometimes) to rinse their feet, same as we do.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:58 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
For the most part, we're no shoes. Our cruising grounds are warm climates with sand and salt. Since we live on the boat all the shoes/sandals come off at the door or are left in the dinghy. We have a fresh water hose by the transom door and have even asked guests (sometimes) to rinse their feet, same as we do.
Definitely a good idea to rinse feet and to have a towel available. And if allowing shoes, then a mat as you would at home.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:17 PM   #25
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Shoes on if we're underway, docking, etc. Shoes off for hanging out at anchor or the dock.

That's for me. Passengers can do as they please. You won't be able to notice any shoe scuff marks on old Moon Dance!
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:23 PM   #26
Guru

Another question comes to mind too. What if your main deck is all teak? Does that change your thoughts?
Old 03-31-2015, 05:24 PM   #27
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Just to clarify, when I voted shoes on the boat, I was thinking that includes Teva or similar sandals, which is what I wear during the warmer months. As for soles, both my last pair of Tevas and current pair of Teva lookalikes (can't recall the brand) have black soles but have never left a mark on deck. Hiking boots in winter when I shovel the boat do leave marks, but they bleach out by summer. In addition to safety, I like wearing shoes or sandals becuase I have flat feet and spending all day standing can be a bit painful. Flipflops for me are just as uncomfortable as boing barefoot.

Related question - shoes in the water or barefoot? We raft up quite often in an area with a sandy bottom, but due to the number of boats that use the bay (and possible resulting glass or metal on the bottom), large clams, and murky water, I never go in barefoot if I'm in enough water to stand. Beaches in clear blue water I'll go barefoot.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:37 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: -
We always wear shoes on the boat as do our guests. We take our shoes off in our house and when entering other people's homes. For me this is a long-time habit learned when growing up in Hawaii.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:03 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post

Related question - shoes in the water or barefoot? We raft up quite often in an area with a sandy bottom, but due to the number of boats that use the bay (and possible resulting glass or metal on the bottom), large clams, and murky water, I never go in barefoot if I'm in enough water to stand. Beaches in clear blue water I'll go barefoot.
100% with you. I grew up and then we lived on an inland lake. I was with someone one day when I was young who stepped on glass in an area their obviously shouldn't have been any. She ended up in ER getting stitched up that night. Normally we swim and use the water where it's deep and so we don't touch, but if wading to shore in murky water, I will wear shoes.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:04 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
We always wear shoes on the boat as do our guests. We take our shoes off in our house and when entering other people's homes. For me this is a long-time habit learned when growing up in Hawaii.
It's interesting to us to both see the responses and to understand the reasoning or where the tradition came from.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:10 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

Quote:
It's interesting to us to both see the responses and to understand the reasoning or where the tradition came from.
We wear shoes on our boats for the same reason most other people have stated here--- it's a smart safety practice.

In Hawaii, at least while I lived there (1955-1979) it was very impolite NOT to remove one's shoes when entering someone else's home. I have no idea where this tradition came from, whether it was from the Chinese or Japanese immigrants or some other source. But it applied across the board to everyone and it did't matter if you were entering someone's house, apartment, condo, etc.

It did not apply to the workplace, however. And I never knew anyone who wore shoes, including flip-flops, while wading or swimming in the water.

Several of my former co-workers in television in Hawaii have recently bought land and built houses in this area. All of them are haoles (caucasions) but we all continue the shoes-off-when-entering-the-house practice we adhered to in Hawaii.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:21 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Another question comes to mind too. What if your main deck is all teak? Does that change your thoughts?
No. But..... in hot climates a teak deck can get REALLY hot. So in Hawaii, for example, we always wore shoes on the boats I went out on, some of which had teak, some of which had painted wood, and some of which had fiberglass decks.

Where we boat today it never normally gets that hot although on a sunny day in July and August our teak deck can get pretty warm. But we always wear shoes on the boat for the safety reasons others have mentioned.

We keep our teak deck pretty clean, washing it with salt water and Lemon Joy once a month or so. As long as the teak is clean with no dirt, soot, grit or sand on it, walking on it with shoes or bare feet is six of one, half dozen of the other as far as wear is concerned.

On a dirty teak deck, walking on it with bare feet would be marginally better, I think, as far as the longevity of the teak is concerned.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:48 PM   #33
Guru

I`m often barefoot on board, amazed I have not stubbed a toe or two. I usually leave my footwear in the cockpit. I have one ss raw water strainer which emerges though the ER checker-plate floor, no idea how I miss crunching a foot on it.
Asian houses here usually have a shoe rack at the front door, most other houses don`t insist on removal.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:14 PM   #34
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
For me its a seasonal thing. Half the year its no shoes, boat or home. The rest of the time shoes are on everywhere, except for visiting people who have a pile of shoes inside their front door. But there aren't many folks that do that here.

The real issue i think is for shoes on or off at boat shows. One broker in the US took the view that if he insisted on shoe removal and the person subsequently slipped and was injured in their stockinged feet then he could be sued, and he didn't want that risk.

The issue of small stones in shoe soles damaging the boat interior is real enough, but why not have floor covers laid down, and allow people to wear shoes if the want to? I will remove shoes if asked and I do want to see that boat but strongly believe the seller should provide floor protection themselves if its such an issue for them.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:18 PM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I said no shoes to both places, but that's kind of misleading. Probably better would have been no outside shoes inside. I wear shoes inside my house, but they don't go outside. On the boat I have boat shoes that don't leave the boat. House and boat stay much cleaner if you aren't track stuff inside.

Not sure if the average dock isn't dirtier than the average public restroom. At least the restrooms get regularly mopped with soap and water. Docks occasionally get hosed off and maybe annually power washed. When was the last time you saw a dock cleaned with any kind of disinfectant soap. Now who hasn't seen all of the following at one time or another on a dock they were tied to: seagull poop, leaking garbage bag, spilled alcoholic beverages, spilled food, and a sticky substance that you stepped in and can't or would prefer not to identify. If that's not bad enough, think about the areas at the marina such as the ouside bar or restaurant that you walk through before you get to the dock. Finally, add all the dogs that are getting walked to take care of their business. You really want to track all that $hit into your boat?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:37 PM   #36
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Own a big hairy dog.....4 pairs of shoes are probably a fraction of what that dog brings in...unless you comb and vacuum it every time.

Being clean isn't a function of just shoes...it's knowing the big picture....and doing what you are good with.

I have lived in a place with no shoes in the houses....seemed we cleaned and vacuumed just as much.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:50 PM   #37
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Aboard Seaweed I take off my deck shoes and wear socks with rubber bumps on the bottom... 'tis not a health issue or a "don't hurt my fabulous boat" thing either. It's because my slipper/socks are comfy.

Generally when company is aboard I do leave on my Sperry's but that's only because going below to swap for slippers is rude. I'm never barefoot -- soft feet are nicer, you know?

Aboard your boat, you get to make the rules. I do when visiting make sure the toe nail polish is spiffy.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:58 PM   #38

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
Mostly shoes off. But if shoes, then boat only shoes. Guests get to wear what ever they want.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:12 PM   #39

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Nick View Post
If "hot" is an issue, wear sandals. I wear them everywhere in Summer, having "dress" sandals as well as "work" sandals. In keeping with my adversity to stubbing toes, out in the yard, on the boat, wherever, I always buy sandals which cover my toes.
Sandals are for hippies!

Kidding of course but I've been tempted to buy a pair. I'm just not a sandal kind of guy. Life on the weekends is a polo shirt, khaki shorts, and deck shoes--wife says I'm stuck in time. Now that I'm forty, I'm even starting to wear those tacky "boater's" belts with my khaki shorts (i.e., pictures of whales and crabs). Yikes, I'm turning into my father!
Old 03-31-2015, 08:16 PM   #40
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
I have no qualms with shoes for safety on the decks or FB. Our back deck is like a mud room in a house, shoes off, then come on in. When you come through our back door, you're walking directly into our living room. I'm not asking anyone to take their shoes off before boarding.

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote