Old 08-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #101
Scraping Paint

City: -
From the side elevations I've seen of the GB41EU, the pods don't hang down as far as earlier twin GBs with conventional shafts, struts, props, and rudders.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #102
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
How much extra draft do Pods require by hanging off the bottom (if any) as compared to straight or V-drive I/B set ups. I imagine there are new hull designs with caverns so Pod can not need add too much draft'
I think the Zeus Drives need to be mounted flatly and vertically on the hull. This almost necessitates a "pocket" situation for anything but a purely flat bottomed boat.

Many straight drives have propeller pockets to reduce draft, and allow a more vertical line for the propeller. Moonstruck has this arrangement.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #103
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
How much extra draft do Pods require by hanging off the bottom (if any) as compared to straight or V-drive I/B set ups. I imagine there are new hull designs with caverns so Pod can not need add too much draft'
On the boats I've seen that offered both straight and pods, the pods have had about 3" on average extra draft. However, I've also seen the exact opposite. On a Sundancer 510 the draft with V-drives is 49" and the draft with Zeus is 47". So it seems to be a boat specific situation.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #104
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Moonstruck is a great boat to compare draft with as it is still in production at Sabre but only in pod drive now.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:09 PM   #105
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Many straight drives have propeller pockets to reduce draft, and allow a more vertical line for the propeller. Moonstruck has this arrangement.

So does "Sandpiper".

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0865.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	43086  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #106
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Moonstruck is a great boat to compare draft with as it is still in production at Sabre but only in pod drive now.
Interestingly Sabre doesn't publish draft on their website. I found on Yachtworld draft shown as 3'9" is 440 Yanmars. Meanwhile I found a review with twin Cummins 380 hp Zeus at 3'4". They currently offer two choices in Zeus and two in IPS on that boat. Other sources seemed to confirm those numbers. I did not find one with IPS anywhere.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:17 PM   #107
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Interestingly Sabre doesn't publish draft on their website. I found on Yachtworld draft shown as 3'9" is 440 Yanmars. Meanwhile I found a review with twin Cummins 380 hp Zeus at 3'4". They currently offer two choices in Zeus and two in IPS on that boat. Other sources seemed to confirm those numbers. I did not find one with IPS anywhere.
With my straight drives the draft loaded is 3' 9". So, probably very comparable. Mine has twin 500 hp.

Actually, the fuel figures quoted for both a pretty close. I'm a happy camper.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:50 PM   #108
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
With my straight drives the draft loaded is 3' 9". So, probably very comparable. Mine has twin 500 hp.

Actually, the fuel figures quoted for both a pretty close. I'm a happy camper.
What is funny in their current offering is the twin Zeus 380 hp and twin IPS 500 (370 hp) perform and consume almost the same. However, the twin IPS 600 (438 hp) not only adds more than 6 knots in WOT speed and several knots per hour all the way through the range, it gets better fuel economy than the Zeus or the smaller IPS at every speed above 15 knots and about the same below that. At 2400 rpm, the larger IPS model gets 1.05 nmpg vs. 0.89 for the smaller engine. It's one of those situations that if you didn't see their performance reports you'd never think.

Sabre's website is one of the best I've seen. Detailed performance reports, good specifications (well, except draft), nice virtual tours, up-to-date News, Calendar and Events. I think of them as a quality company and their site reinforces that image.

I know some would say a website's not very important but I think it does reflect a company's attention to detail and professionalism. I'm not talking about fancy design features, but good information and current. I hate going to a site and they're announcing the 2012 boat show they'll be showing in and the latest news is 2011. Oh and kudos to their dealer search too. Not only easy to find dealers but they show the current dealer inventory and the boats on order.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:48 AM   #109
Guru

I have chatted with the management at Sabre. They are aware of increasing their internet presence. They are one of the best at putting virtual tours up for most of their models.

Engines sized properly for the boat will get better mileage even if it means the larger engines. We can cruise 26-27 knots at about 1 statute mpg. The reason in statute is that is what the ICW is marked. On a long trip it is easy to calculate fuel mileage between fuel stops. Of course, it includes some slow running, but not much. That is also with a full load of gear and passengers for cruising.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:28 PM   #110
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
On August 4th I posted the original thread. It's interesting to note that as of today August 31st my friend's boat is still out of service as Cummins Zeus can't locate a replacement drive. It's concerning that a part that is designed to shear off cannot be replaced in short order. I would keep this in mind should you ever consider a boat with this propulsion setup. He's lost at least 1/3 of his boating season. With Labor Day weekend on the horizon he is rightfully p o'd.

Howard
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:38 PM   #111
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
If Sabre is only offering Zeus drives , I believe this will lead to there eventual downfall. 1MPG(statute mile) @26 kts is a very economical run. Sabre can tout Cummins/zeus drive , but the word will get out about parts availability and other problems . The straight drive set up is proven, why not offer it, as they had done for years? The market may prove me wrong.
I want to be the Zeus dealer in the Bahamas! No Problem Mon, wee have it here in a week.
Whats wrong with the proven straight drive setup, in half tunnels that the Sabres are known for?
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:25 AM   #112
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
I find it amazing that replacement drives are not readily available and on short notice. Zeus is Mercury Marine, not exactly a small or startup company. As far as I am aware, most of Mercury's manufacturing is in this country. If a company like Mercury cannot deliver replacement parts, including the entire drive, in just a few days, it does not bode well for there future. Hell, you can buy OEM as well as aftermarket lower units for just about everything Mercury has ever made, pretty much off the shelf.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:02 AM   #113
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Not to hijack this thread from pod discussion... but...

In general similarity, regarding pleasure boat unique propulsion system choices: What happened to jet-drives?

Is it that straight drive is simply the best yet... I think maybe!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:12 AM   #114
Guru

I just learned that the techs from Mercury arrived yesterday to install the new drive. Oops, they were missing a part so it was a no go. Talk about disappointment. Even the travel lift operator was standing by. Still a few days until Labor Day weekend so there's still a chance.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:22 AM   #115
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
On August 4th I posted the original thread. It's interesting to note that as of today August 31st my friend's boat is still out of service as Cummins Zeus can't locate a replacement drive.
Howard
One month seems pretty fast for a low volume mechanical unit. The rest of the story sounds salacious, why did he hit a rock? Who knows, maybe his boat would have sunk had he straight shafts.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:29 AM   #116
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
One month seems pretty fast for a low volume mechanical unit. The rest of the story sounds salacious, why did he hit a rock?

Why does anyone hit a submerged object? I'm pretty sure it wasn't because he wanted to. As to parts availability, a big company entering the market with a new and expensive product should be prepared to support that product. They should have pulled a drive off an existing unsold boat and pleased a customer that bought a boat with their drive. A good business doesn't sully their reputation with poor customer support. The only good side to this disaster is that it happened close to home. I'm can only imagine the inconvenience had he been doing the loop or be heading somewhere far from home.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #117
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
One month seems pretty fast for a low volume mechanical unit. The rest of the story sounds salacious, why did he hit a rock? Who knows, maybe his boat would have sunk had he straight shafts.
"...sounds salacious, why did he hit a rock?"

I no comprender... might have to ask the wife... on second thought, better not!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #118
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
They should have pulled a drive off an existing unsold boat and pleased a custormer that bought a boat with their drive. A good business doesn't sully their reputation with poor customer support. .
If it were my vessel I'd be grateful for a one month turnaround for a skipper induced oops on a new design assembly. Had the drive failed "on its own" there may well have been a quicker response. I don't believe Sabre builds many boats on spec, so a spare unit may well have been not there.

Hamilton jet drives had early day repair part issues as their units were subjected to torturous duty in the Snake River. They lacked the cash reserves to build up spare inventory, Sabre is no different in this tough boating market. Don't blame Zeus, they are sold forward.

Was the rock on charts?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:40 AM   #119
Guru

Quote:
If it were my vessel I'd be grateful for a one month turnaround for a skipper induced oops on a new design assembly. Had the drive failed "on its own" there may well have been a quicker response. I don't believe Sabre builds many boats on spec, so a spare unit may well have been not there.

Hamilton jet drives had early day repair part issues as their units were subjected to torturous duty in the Snake River. They lacked the cash reserves to build up spare inventory, Sabre is no different in this tough boating market. Don't blame Zeus, they are sold forward.

Was the rock on charts?
Let's not taint Sabre as the boat is a Meridian. And, although Mercury sells the part "forward" Meridian also has a responsibility to the customer that purchased its product. One of the real issues in the boating world is the boat manufacturers' ability to hide behind the warranties of the equipment manufacturer. Granted, this is not a warranty issue, but you did raise the subject tangentially. Were this an automobile, the owner would be dealing with the dealer that sold the car, not the manufacturer of the transmission.

Whether or not the rock was on the charts is not relevant to the issue at hand. What we are discussing is a manufacturer's responsibility and responsiveness to a customer. Let's remember that one of the selling points for the pod drive is it's ability to shear off if hit. This benefit is negated if one cannot get the replacement part in a reasonable time frame. A month is not, in my view reasonable. It appears that you do your boating in AZ. I think you would feel differently if your season was only 5 months long as it is here in CT. One month represents 20% of the boating season.

Howard
Old 09-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #120

City: Houston
Quote:

Was the rock on charts?
This is not a warranty event; not sure why Sabre would be in the mix.

Nor are Zeus drives new; they've been out for years.

If the "normal" time it takes to get a drive replaced is more than one month, I won't buy the product.

Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote