PNW Weather Window

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom,

Projected as of now, doesn't look favorable, best so far is Monday the 1st. We will keep our weather eyes open for you guys. But focus on the Crab festival, should be a great time.

Cheers, John

NOAA Report Today mid-way up the coast to Juan De Fuca.

FRI
NW WIND 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT. W SWELL 9 FT AT
11 SECONDS.

[SIZE=+1]FRI NIGHT[/SIZE]
NW WIND 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT. W SWELL 7
FT AT 11 SECONDS.

[SIZE=+1]SAT[/SIZE]
S WIND 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT. W SWELL 5 FT.

[SIZE=+1]SUN[/SIZE]
NW WIND 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT. W SWELL 8 FT.

Saturday looks to be the best. with following seas.

On an app I have call Buoyweather:

Saturday 4/29
Morning

Breezy whitecapping conditions with moderate choppy seas. Small long period swell.

Winds: SSE 11 to 15 knots.
Seas: W 4 feet at 10 seconds.

Afternoon

Breezy whitecapping conditions with moderate choppy seas. Small long period swell.

Winds: SSE 13 to 18 knots.
Seas: W 4 feet at 10 seconds.

The next few days after Saturday are nasty. We may end up waiting out. I'm in no hurry and I am retired....:dance:

Tom,
Pretty much the same on Windytv with Saturday a "Maybe", Ill keep an eye out from up here for ya Bud!
We head to Roche Harbor tomorrow AM till Sunday. Give me a call if your bored.

John

My only issue is the Columbia River Bar. Low tide is 0930 and is a minus tide. So I will be listening very closely to the Bar reports. Copy that on "Maybe!"

You got Irene!!!

The Saturday Window changed and is now closed. The main issue is the Columbia River Bar. I don't have any desire to travel at night. As of now Tuesday looks like the next opportunity and the Bar is almost perfect with slack tide at 0520.

Keep our fingers crossed....:popcorn::banghead:

Monday and Tuesday seem to be the windows. High slack is really early around 4:30 AM. That means crossing the bar in the dark.

Monday 5/1
MorningLight and variable winds with smooth seas. Small short period wind waves.

Winds: WSW 3 to 4 knots.
Seas: WNW 6 feet at 9 seconds.

AfternoonLight and variable winds with smooth seas. Small short period wind waves.

Winds: W 3 to 3 knots.
Seas: WNW 5 feet at 9 seconds.

Tuesday 5/2
MorningBreezy whitecapping conditions with moderate choppy seas. Small long period swell.

Winds: SSE 11 to 14 knots.
Seas: WSW 5 feet at 11 seconds.

AfternoonLight winds with a slight chop. Small long period swell.

Winds: SSW 9 to 12 knots.
Seas: WSW 5 feet at 16 seconds.

Yes it does. Monday looks good too. Little more choppy on Monday afternoon when compare to Tuesday but basiaclly flat Monday to Wednesday.

Hi Tom,Crusty, Spoke with Peter on the Tanglewood this AM as he passed the house. As he is proceeding your efforts, thought I'd give you a update As he is among the list of fellow travelers listed by your selves as ones to look out for in your adventure. Weather up here is really good for having high high tides at the moment. Looking forward to your finally moving upstream.
Al-Ketchikan

If it holds we will be departing Astoria dark-thirty Monday morning.

Hope you folks have a fun safe passage through our waters.

Don’t forget to dump your winter collection of holding tank materials before you cross the border :D and just an FYI, burning garbage below the tide line just hides it and is illegal. :nonono:

If you enjoy an IPA, try the Fat Tug. :dance:

Lastly, you might want to wear a Cuban flag on your person. Someone down your way just poked our coastal loggers in the eye with a softwood stick and they’re a might testy at the moment.:angry:

Have fun and shop Canadian.

Hi Tom,Crusty, Spoke with Peter on the Tanglewood this AM as he passed the house. As he is proceeding your efforts, thought I'd give you a update As he is among the list of fellow travelers listed by your selves as ones to look out for in your adventure. Weather up here is really good for having high high tides at the moment. Looking forward to your finally moving upstream.
Al-Ketchikan

Real low tides too. Almost 4 feet below MLW the other day. The swing in Prince Rupert was 24'.

Hope you folks have a fun safe passage through our waters.

Don’t forget to dump your winter collection of holding tank materials before you cross the border :D and just an FYI, burning garbage below the tide line just hides it and is illegal. :nonono:

If you enjoy an IPA, try the Fat Tug. :dance:

Lastly, you might want to wear a Cuban flag on your person. Someone down your way just poked our coastal loggers in the eye with a softwood stick and they’re a might testy at the moment.:angry:

Have fun and shop Canadian.

:thumb::thumb::D

Ted

Ok, Tom Ill call you tomorrow afternoon. We plan to move over to Reid Harbor for a day or so, weather depending. Selene Rendevious was great as was Roche Harbor.

We will be departing Astoria at dark thirty, crossing the bar at first light about an hour after high tide. Everything is strapped and locked down. Little breezy but within limits.

Monday 5/1

MorningLight winds with a slight chop. Small short period wind waves.

Winds: SSE 7 to 9 knots.
Seas: WNW 6 feet at 10 seconds.

AfternoonBreezy whitecapping conditions with moderate choppy seas. Small short period wind waves.

Winds: SSE 11 to 14 knots.
Seas: WNW 5 feet at 9 seconds.

Hope that since we haven't heard from you this AM that it means you made it and that the trip works out well.

Hope that since we haven't heard from you this AM that it means you made it and that the trip works out well.

Here is his Spot location now:.....:thumb:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 12.37.17 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 12.37.17 PM.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 72
Looks like 4-6' at 9-10 seconds for the remainder of the trip up the Washington coast.

Text from Tom an hour ago, puts him in Nea Bay at 19:40 this evening. Still a bit lumpy, but better than the Bar.

Thanks for the up-date John, there are lots of us watching Tom's progress

Yeah I made it. Lesson learned...NEVER EVER cross the Columbia River Bar on an Ebb, even if you are 45 minutes past slack! Got my ass handed to me is what happened.....

Back
Top Bottom