Old 03-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #21
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
RE: PNW Summer Berthing

Someone mentioned the winds in the islands can be double the prediction? We had our sailboat in the San Juan Islands (Friday Harbor and Mitchell Bay) for 4 years. Mitchell Bay, on the west side of the island, was our favorite for sailing as it was right on the Strait. The winds were more consistent and stronger there. In Friday Harbor, and in between the islands in general during the summer months, the reputation as a "light air" sailing area is totally correct. Not to say the wind couldn't pipe up - and it certainly does in the winter months even in the protected basin of Friday Harbor - but I would consider it a non-issue during the summer. In fact, moving to Port Townsend was great because we now get to sail much more often in the summer. Well, that is until we get our trawler...

Fog, on the other hand, is an issue to be aware of in the islands. Especially during the month of "Fogust". We found our radar to be a trusted friend many times.

Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #22
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Moonfish wrote:
Someone mentioned the winds in the islands can be double the prediction? We had our sailboat in the San Juan Islands (Friday Harbor and Mitchell Bay) for 4 years. Mitchell Bay, on the west side of the island, was our favorite for sailing as it was right on the Strait. The winds were more consistent and stronger there. In Friday Harbor, and in between the islands in general during the summer months, the reputation as a "light air" sailing area is totally correct. Not to say the wind couldn't pipe up - and it certainly does in the winter months even in the protected basin of Friday Harbor - but I would consider it a non-issue during the summer. In fact, moving to Port Townsend was great because we now get to sail much more often in the summer. Well, that is until we get our trawler...

Fog, on the other hand, is an issue to be aware of in the islands. Especially during the month of "Fogust". We found our radar to be a trusted friend many times.
*I have personally experienced 65 knot winds in August (confirmed by anemometer), when fifteen knots was the NOAA prediction. This was in Fossil Bay, Sucia Island. That was just one of many times I have personally experienced. You must have been here during four of our more idyllic years.

I'm just sayin!!!

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #23
Guru

I was out once when it snowed instead of rained as predicted. Then last week the weatherman predicted winds of 40-60 mph here in Phoenix and the anemometer only got to 22 mph. There are bad predictions everywhere.

Ken
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #24
Veteran Member

You might take a look at Skyline Marina in Anacortes.* It is on the west side of the island, so you can be in the San Juan's in less than an hour at 7-8 knots.* Most of the slips are privately owned, but there are usually some that can be leased.* No guest moorage, but fuel, haul out, covered dry storage across the street, marine mechanics, long term parking and a park nearby. *

The drawback is that you aren't in walking distance of downtown Anacortes, it is about a 10 minute drive.* You can fly into Sea-Tac and take a shuttle bus to Anacortes.* The shuttle is about 2 hours from Seattle to Anacortes.* The same shuttle goes to Bellingham.

We pay approximately 25% less for moorage at Skyline than we would at Cap Sante.* I like the town of Bellingham and the facilities there are great and one of the best buys in Puget Sound.* However, I've never been in Bellingham Bay when the wind wasn't blowing.* I'm not there a lot, but the Bay does have a reputation up here for a lot of wind.

Lyle
Norwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
PNW Summer Berthing

We have edited and reopened this thread to respect the original poster's request for information. Gentlemen and ladies, please stay on topic.

Thanks,
The Mod Team

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Thursday 15th of March 2012 12:13:10 PM
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member

No, thank You!!

I'm new here and don't mean to make waves but, I was kinda wondering what I'd gotten myself into, and why?

I'm feeling better now :-)
Boathommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #27
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
PNW Summer Berthing

Quote:
2bucks wrote:Boathommy wrote:
No, thank You!!

I'm new here and don't mean to make waves but, I was kinda wondering what I'd gotten myself into, and why?

I'm feeling better now :-)

*If the OP is anything like myself, they appreciate the hard work these moderators put into this website and enjoy the information gleaned from these pages!

-- Edited by Baker on Friday 16th of March 2012 08:40:37 PM
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: -
PNW Summer Berthing

As a data point for the original poster, here are the current moorage rates for the Port of Bellingham's Squalicum Marina. These just came out the other week. The rates are based on the length of the slip the boat is occupying, not the length of the boat itself.

26 feet or less...... $6.92
27-30 feet...... $6.92
31-36 feet..... $6.99
37- 44 feet.... $7.13
45-56 feet..... $7.41
56 feet or more.... $8.00

They included with their notice a chart comparing these rates to those of other marinas in the Puget Sound area. I'm not gong to list all the comparisons, but for a 36 foot slip, some comparison rates are:

Shilshole (Seattle) $9.98
Edmonds $9.50
Point Roberts $9.26
Port of Anacortes $8.08
Bremerton $8.01
Port of Everett $7.61

Bellingham $6.99

Port of Olympia $6.91
Port Orchard Marina $6.62
La Conner Marina $6.51

PS--- I should add that the rates listed above for Squalicum Marina in Bellingham do not include electricity.* They do include water and the use of the fixed and portable pump-out stations and oil disposal facilities.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 16th of March 2012 02:20:02 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #29
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Marin, are those rates for a wet slip or a mooring?* Around here on the East coast, $7.50 is a good price, and the going rate is maybe $10.00 and more in Florida.*I've never heard of pricing down to the penny, like $9.69...* Here is priced in units of $.50.***In Charleston it is like $17 / foot, OUTRAGIOUS!* I might be high or something since it is Spring Break and all...*
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #30
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

The*new docks at Cap Sante Marina, Port of Anacortes including tax:

40'* $458.13

46'* $556.96

57'* $802.06
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #31
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser

A couple of Canadian data points:

45 foot slips

Cowichan Bay 9.35/foot includes "some" electrical use (how much depends on Gary's mood but we've never had a power bill and we stay aboard in January)

Van Isle over $13/foot plus metered power.* We were paying something like $13.65 when we left and that was achieved by taking the maximum discounts for prepaying and cash payment.

bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #32
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Egregious wrote:
Marin, are those rates for a wet slip or a mooring?
*I'm not familiar with the term "wet slip," but the only kind of moorage Squalicum offers are standard slips as shown in the photo below.

There are boathouses in the marina, both individual private houses side by side as shown in the photo and two or three long, multi-slip "shed" boathouses.* The boathouses are all in one section of the marina.* I don't know if the shed boathouses are private as well or if they are owned by the port.* The private boathouse owners pay a moorage fee for their houses but I have no idea what those rates are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	10590  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote